Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Uxter plate need renewing? 

7541405.jpg

As far as I can tell from the photos the hull has been refooted to above the bottom guard, but retaining the original chine angles. This is the sort of repair many GU boats had during BW days. There don't appear to be any other significant hull repairs. Which probably means some significant work is now needed.

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

As far as I can tell from the photos the hull has been refooted to above the bottom guard, but retaining the original chine angles. This is the sort of repair many GU boats had during BW days. There don't appear to be any other significant hull repairs. Which probably means some significant work is now needed.

I was wondering what those two plasma cut steel plates are for.

In the photo. 

Edited by magnetman

20 hours ago, magnetman said:

Turbo Perkins 4107 sounds a bit strange..

It sounds "unusual" to me, and frankly far from suitable.

However this Wikipedia suggests they were a thing, but also seems to question if any were ever built.

Four-cylinder, 107.5 cu. in. (1.8 L) turbocharged diesel engine. Wet sleeves. Very rare (perhaps never produced).

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Even "fit a new cabin range" is a bit of a challenge at the moment.  I'm not aware of anybody supplying new ones suitable for use in the back cabin of a motor, and spares seem very difficult for a used one.

That sounds a bit optimistic.  I've not seen evidence of Lister H series engines in good order for as little money as that, and you are definitely going to need a new prop, which don't come cheaply in sizes suitable for those Listers

I know Joe Fuller was selling a Lister engine (possibly with gearbox) for less than £1k recently. 

I'm not saying it wouldn't need a fair bit of money on it, I'm just saying that assuming the hull is sound, you can do some of the work yourself and you wanted to de-convert it and the boat could be got for around £30k, then you could probably do it all for less than the price of some of the already unconverted motors for sale recently. 

3 pot Lister with marine gearbox on Facebook market place for £500 at the moment. 

1 hour ago, junior said:

3 pot Lister with marine gearbox on Facebook market place for £500 at the moment. 

Is that the SL2?  If so, they list as having just 9.5 HP - that is decidedly inadequate for a full sized Large Woolwich, even on a canal, let alone on a River.

Product photo of Narrow boat Lister engine

I don't recall ever seeing a working H series engine with gearbox below £2K - if it were I'd expect it to be in fairly poor condition.

Edited by alan_fincher
Add an image

2 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

Probably this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/916857322930366/

HA3? with an SL4 gearbox. In need of work but doesn't look totally knackered to my inexpert eye.

It is listed as "Spares or Repairs", so I doubt it is a running engine.

I'm no great expert but don't think it looks like an HA3.  My gut feel is that it is a less powerful engine.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

You know perfectly well it looks nothing like an HA3!

Oh well, at least this time I doubted myself enough to add a "?" after being totally wrong! 🤐

(What is it then?)

Edited by Francis Herne

Lister SR/SL/ST 3.

I'd go for SR3 as a shot in the dark. 

I don't think there is much to tell the difference but this is the one in the adIMG_20230627_231815.jpg.2886880e42e6403e7634e1fa8a468b89.jpg

Odd that they took a picture of the gearbox plate but failed to image the engine plate which would give the detail needed.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, MtB said:

Don't undersell yourself. You know perfectly well it looks nothing like an HA3!

I do have an HA3 in the garage, so if it is really important I  could try comparing it to the pictures in the advert.

I've never seen an HA2 or HA3 mated to a Lister gearbox that wasn't the usual Blackstone one.

I think that the punier gearbox in the add points to it being a less powerful engine - S series rather than H series.

Edited by alan_fincher
Spelling

On 27/06/2023 at 10:17, David Mack said:

If it was the surveyor who thought an original elm bottom had been replaced in steel, then I wouldn't place much credence in his report!

In that light, are there surveyors particularly known or recommended for their knowledge of historic boats?

(I had the opposite problem with Lark, being aluminium as un-historic as narrowboats get and thus also quite different from the average).

Edited by Francis Herne

4 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

In that light, are there surveyors particularly known or recommended for their knowledge of historic boats?

(I had the opposite problem with Lark, being aluminium as un-historic as narrowboats get and thus also quite different from the average).

Yes, such surveyors exist, and and highly recommended if you don't want trouble in having a survey of an old boat done.

Bognor was one of the Trainees motors, captained by New Zealander Cicely Ramsay, paired with Dodona.. Was around in Gas Street in the early 70s, with a JP2 and a doubtful gearbox. Believe it went to Bristol when sold and was converted. Bow thruster and fancy engine fitted. Saw it once in Bristol but didn't know the owners. The Missis made a full length crochet curtain for the bedhole in the cabin but expect that is long gone. It was a nice boat, apart from the gearbox!

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

We have had both Fulbourne and Belfast surveyed by Mike Carter. Nice bloke who knows his stuff, and knows where historic boats are likely to have thin plating, pitting and other potential problems. Does most of his inspection with a hammer rather than just relying on a grid of ultrasound thickness measurements that may or may not be taken at the thinnest points.

• Greenie 3