Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

anyone know how to apply to run a charity boat?

I have been seriously interested in this for quite a long time, in Limehouse area, and that boat would be perfect ! I know where there's a perfect mooring for it with a wheelchair lift beside it.

Lapwing was built as a motor, at Saltley, 1913, one of the first batch of Bolinder boats ( Linda, Lynx, Laurel, Lily, Lupin etc)

I thought it looked original but advert said conversion from horse drawn and I thought the owner would know that sort of thing :rolleyes:

thanks for clearing that up

I thought it looked original but advert said conversion from horse drawn and I thought the owner would know that sort of thing rolleyes.gif

You might have thought so, might you not!

I just assumed their history of their own boat was correct - my mistake!.....

Lapwing was built as a motor, at Saltley, 1913, one of the first batch of Bolinder boats ( Linda, Lynx, Laurel, Lily, Lupin etc)

That was what I was always told that all the FMC 'L' named motors were built as such & not converted from butty/horse boat etc., the details I got when I aquired 'Lily' in the early 60's was built at Saltley with a date of February 1914.

Here it is, as Water Lapwing, as a trip boat in BWB ownership, late 1950s or early 1960s, in Dutton Stop Lock.

AVk1ITX.gif

It had that style of conversion until it left this area. It was actually removed, and afterwards replaced, early in Peter Froud's ownership, so that the boat could be loaded with timber as part of a consignment taken from Manchester Docks to Leicester. The rest was taken by Short Boat over the Leeds & Liverpool.

Tim

Good Heavens!

That picture stirred some memories. 1967 I think, school trip one saturday,boarded Lapwing at Weston Point docks for a trip up the Weaver, Anderton Lift and T & M to Preston Brook. Captain was Peter Froud, it rained all day and the coach returning us to Manchester had a major clutch problem filling the saloon with smoke, it expired somewhere near Stockton Heath, can't remember what happened then. That was my first canal boat trip, discounting earlier 'boating" on DIY oil drum rafts.The trip was organised by Bill (not me)in the sixth form who had started a school canal society as a sort of annex of the Peak Forest Canal Society. I've been in and on the canals ever since.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Bill's retirement party- how Tempus Fugitslaugh.png

Bill

FLAMINGO is most certainly a Large Northwich motor, no doubt about it. A cabin conversion in the hold is all a part of the history of these boats, and arguably is a great improvement over the trip boat conversion FLAMINGO had from 1970 to 1986.

Flamingo is now sold!

Linky.

FMC TENCH For sale.

See here: http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=394242

From personal experience I can say what a great boat this is, one of my favourite joshers that I've had the pleasure to have worked with (and that is a considerable number.) , both with a butty and as a single motor.

Has had lots of money spent on her since 2011 and on paper she would be in excess of £68k !! (worked out from purchase price and then recent work invoices combined).

Seriously guys - lots of history with this boat, they are all different but there is a reason why some are just better than others!

Edited by giveitsomeoil