Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Having seen first hand the horrendous results from having the same draft reduction carried out by Malcolm Braine on another historic vessel I would certainly proceed withmuch caution and expect some hefty repair bills in the future.

Can you please elaborate? I find it extremely irksome when people say things like this, it just reads as if your trying to sound knowledgeable without actually saying anything at all.

This kind of statement can cause a seller a lot of grief.

Keith

• Greenie 1

Can you please elaborate? I find it extremely irksome when people say things like this, it just reads as if your trying to sound knowledgeable without actually saying anything at all.

Keith

I imagine James Owen is referring to exF.M.C. Ltd. LAUREL, of which there are some 'restoration' photographs of on the Brinklow Boat Services website - missing its counter and associated plating.

I actually think it's a stunner, (and my usual tastes are the much more functional Grand Union types with bluff bows).

It has windows rather than ports, which we prefer, but will deter a lot of people, I suspect.

No good if you can't buy it though, so we move on!

If you really like the boat, why don't you just go to the broker and make an offer for the same price you offered the seller direct?

Your frustration at this point is understandable but sellers do strange things for strange reasons and who knows what this seller might say to an offer made through a broker. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

Keith

Keith, I will expand on this one, if you reduce the draught on a GU motor or any boat that was "designed properly" you will kill the swim that was designed for the craft. You are removing a proportion of the sheer lines which were designed to allow the boat to work. On a GU motor this is a three plane curve designed to act at 3ft draft not less.

regards,

Laurence

"Lyra", a Small Northwich butty briefly owned by my late brother has had its price reduced by R W Davies.

Linky

Unfortunately it is now being offered for possible conversion to a motor, due to lack of interest as a butty......

It will be a great shame if that happens, but unconverted buttys seem to be struggling at the moment, and several remain available.

I imagine James Owen is referring to exF.M.C. Ltd. LAUREL, of which there are some 'restoration' photographs of on the Brinklow Boat Services website - missing its counter and associated plating.

Keith, I will expand on this one, if you reduce the draught on a GU motor or any boat that was "designed properly" you will kill the swim that was designed for the craft. You are removing a proportion of the sheer lines which were designed to allow the boat to work. On a GU motor this is a three plane curve designed to act at 3ft draft not less.

regards,

Laurence

Thanks Pete and Laurence but James was inferring that modifying a boat in this way would lead to expensive damage, I understand the hydro dynamic aspect but does anyone seriously suggest that LAUREL's counter etc. would have been fine, had this mod not been done in the past?

Keith

"Lyra", a Small Northwich butty briefly owned by my late brother has had its price reduced by R W Davies.

Linky

Unfortunately it is now being offered for possible conversion to a motor, due to lack of interest as a butty......

It will be a great shame if that happens, but unconverted buttys seem to be struggling at the moment, and several remain available.

I have a soft spot for LYRA having had a slight involvement with it in the past, and we even named our dog after it when we were camping in the early 1980's.

Looking at the photographs on the Apollo Duck website I have two concerns about this 'restoration', both of which can be rectified. The first is that there is no evidence of cabin ventilation, neither as 'letterbox' type cabinside vents or as a 'mushroom' type vent in the cabin top. Secondly the cabin 'back door' has been infilled as a solid bulkhead. I am sure a BSS inspector would need some convincing that this cabin is safe in its current form (I am aware that 'historic' motor boats with a solid bulkhead between the cabin and engine room is deemed to be O.K. but I am not sure about a G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. butty cabin as historically they all had a back door).

Pete

My Uncle Robert Joseph Harrison (Joe) had Lyra in early 1950 whilst it was still a working boat.

One of his Daughters was born on her.

Said daughters husband is on this forum so will no doubt be along & have more details of her

I know a family member was looking to buy her several years back but I was told she had a lot of work to do then.

Pete

My Uncle Robert Joseph Harrison (Joe) had Lyra in early 1950 whilst it was still a working boat.

I have a fleet list dated 24 July 1949 that places Joe Harrison as being the steerer of COROLLA and RAWDON (see photograph on page 26 of the George & The Mary, second edition). Unfortunately the next complete fleet list I have is dated 13 May 1952 where J. Harrison is listed alongside GREENOCK and RAWDON.

Thank you Pete

The 1952 listing does it say Joe Harrison or J Harrison

Uncle Joe seemed to have changed around his boats a lot during this era as another child was born on Rose in 1948.

(Message sent)

The 1952 fleet list gives J. Harrison.

Joe Harrison must have changed companys as well. Of the 280 records I have of boats named ROSE I suspect 'your' ROSE is that of A. Harvey-Taylor, Aylesbury

Thanks Pete and Laurence but James was inferring that modifying a boat in this way would lead to expensive damage, I understand the hydro dynamic aspect but does anyone seriously suggest that LAUREL's counter etc. would have been fine, had this mod not been done in the past?

Keith

Laurel would have only drawed 3ft underway if left as original, also it would perform better. I think it was the age in which it was reduced which reflects on poor maintenance on hte canals local to where Alan moored the boat.

Morton & Clayton Laurel Paired with exe was put into dry dock @ Bulls bridge end of Oct 1943 after Emily Harrison had drowned the night before @ Cowley Lock.

Laurel was later re issued to her eldest son William (Billy) Billy & his Dad John Allen Harrison over the next two years changed boats about mixing Laurel & Exe with Kilburn & Captain.

1945 John Allen had re married & taken back on the Laurel & Exe he kept these for a number of years as working boats, Then when he retired off the cut .Living on her converted into a houseboat.

The Laurel is @ present with Brinklows having extensive work done & I am told by the new owners that they would like to de convert her in time.

The 1952 fleet list gives J. Harrison.

Joe Harrison must have changed companys as well. Of the 280 records I have of boats named ROSE I suspect 'your' ROSE is that of A. Harvey-Taylor, Aylesbury

I could well be wrong but I cant recall him ever saying he worked for Harvey-Taylor, could the boat have been loaned or leased to another company?

As Uncle Joe is now boating the great cut in the sky ,the only people I can think of who might be able to tell me if he worked @ any time for Harvey Taylor or answer my Questions is Ron Withy (Rocket Ron) or David Bladgrove will ask them as soon as I get a chance.

Having gone from a full length town class to a 56 foot town class the hydrodynamics are compromised enough in that change without, messing around with modifications to counter. Unless seriously ballasting at the front occurs you go from flat on to 4 inches of counter in by dropping in the clutch, ( same engine) and as for stopping.... Just as well most people get out of the way of town class bows.

Oh and before the inevitable ...the length was taken out forward of the engine hole , and it's the right fore end and stern.

• 2 weeks later...

Autherley has been re-listed and if my memory is correct, it is coming down in price.

At what point would it be a 'give away'? (I know that is inviting all the smartarse's)

Surely there is some value in the engine?

I guess a boat like this is going to need some serious upkeep and will only sell to a real enthusiast. I can't see much use for it other than a toy to take round the summer rally circuit?

The last paragraph of the advert is interesting. The seller says he won't sell to the first person to come and wave money at him. I wonder how true that is amd whether he had offers at the higher price but rejected them because they were not the right buyer, or will it end up dropping in price again and selling to the first person to wave £5k at him?

I wonder how true that is amd whether he had offers at the higher price but rejected them because they were not the right buyer, or will it end up dropping in price again and selling to the first person to wave £5k at him?

Having worked in dock with the owner on Autherley and seen the dedication and hard work he put in I'd say that it was true.

I turned down several offers for Lucy, ranging fro £1k to £5k and eventually sold her to the right person for one pound.

If I thought he would take £5k for Autherley then I'd probably wave it at him but I may not be the right person as I'd reinstate the cabin.

Edited to add: Reading the revised ad I see he intended to extend the cabin too so I may be the right person after all...

Edited again to add: I see it has dropped from £10k to £7k....perhaps £5k waved would be the right amount (if I were the right person).

Edited by carlt

• 2 weeks later...

Butty sterns made into the bows of motors never look right to me but I wouldn't say no if someone offered me one smile.png

Nor me

There's only one photo on the listing but to me, Adastrea's bow doesn't look like a butty stern.

The stem post in particular looks un-butty-like to me. Where would the rudder pins have engaged for example?

Looks more like a good, modern fabricated copy of a town class bow to my uneducated eye.

369450_2.jpg

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman