cheapest way to buy coal and wood?

squarelips

Featured Posts

Hi everyone-

I have only been on my boat for a few weeks. but already we are going through a LOT of coal and wood! We are buying it from petrol stations and some places on the canal. but it is mighty expensive! Is there a cheaper way to buy coal and wood? in bulk perhaps? we are heading to london so if you happened to know of anywhere in london for wood and coal thats cheap!?

thanks very much everyone!

x

The cheapest way is in bulk, by the tonne, but I doubt you could store more on board that say what 5 cwt?. Then you need some kind of bunker. As for price, I pay 14 quid for a 50kilo sack of house coal here in Goole

Haven't bought any yet this year, I refuse to light central heating before dec 1st. When I do that, then I know I'm aging

Hi everyone-

I have only been on my boat for a few weeks. but already we are going through a LOT of coal and wood! We are buying it from petrol stations and some places on the canal. but it is mighty expensive! Is there a cheaper way to buy coal and wood? in bulk perhaps? we are heading to london so if you happened to know of anywhere in london for wood and coal thats cheap!?

x

Find a proper coal merchant. If your anywhere near B. Stortford there's Bayfords ''cheapest around and stock all types of everything'' at little Hallingbury, they will deliver to boats near a road within a reasonable distance.

Gather as much wood as you can from the towpath as you go along. It's free (but don't stray on to private property in search of it and don't cut it from live trees). Coal, while dearer than wood, lasts much longer and is easier to store (being much less bulky). Yellow Pages should help you find solid fuel merchants in whichever place you happen to be passing through, and other boaters may be able to point you in the right direction.

Lastly, most canals have one or two working boats plying up and down selling coal, gas and diesel. Support them. There is a thread in this forum called "Fuel Boats Tracking Section" which may help you, and there's a web site which lists them and their telephone numbers - something like "Lock 13".

I refuse to light central heating before dec 1st. When I do that, then I know I'm aging

....and when you don't, you know you've been admitted to A&E with hypothermia.

Don't buy coal at petrol stations!

If you have storage space on the land then bulk delivery is the cheapest, especially in the summer.

Otherwise...

Depending upon your boat you can store between 10 and 20 bags (at 20 or 25kg each) on the roof.

Don't overdo this. We are a 70 footer weighing almost 25ton but 20 bags on the roof does reduce our stability..I would not want to go onto a river with a full roof.

If you can take 20 bags or so a coal merchant will deliver and give a good price.

If you combine the order with another boat you might get an even better price.

The 20 and 25kg plastic bags are best for storing on the roof.

Some "proper" coal merchants, especially in the midlands and North, will deliver in open 50kg sacks but these are MUCH less convenient on a boat.

However they will probably deliver in 25kg bags for a small premium.

Marinas and boatyards are very variable. Most are expensive but a few provide really good value.

But

Do try really hard to support your local fuel boat, unless a coal merchant can undercut them by a very substantial amount then you really should be using the fuel boats, otherwise they will not be there when you really need them!.

..........Dave

Sadly I do not live on a boat but I have a log burner at home - have you got any woodyards or joiners nearby ? they often have off cuts that they will either give you a bag full or sell you a bag for a small donation.

One of my neighbours simply collects a manageable branch or log each time he goes for a walk and has built up quite a stock.

Other sources of free wood - tree surgeons (if you can find one in the act of working at someones property they may give some away as it saves them disposing of it), Electricity companies and rail companies have teams who cut down trees overhanging the power lines or railway. There are plenty of sources for free wood but sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Matt

Like Matt72 I'm unlucky enough not to own my own boat. Yet........ lol

But being a Scot I was brought up on thrift. It's amazing how much you can scavenge on your daily routine.

It's out there if you know where to look :)

Just don't be too fussy about what burns lol

There are 3 boats plying trade in the London area - Indus/Pictor, Baron (wakehams), and Achimides/Ara. Avoid petrol stations as you'll probably be paying around 50%+ more for your coal compared with a coal merchant/coal boat

Edited by PiRSqwared

Lastly, most canals have one or two working boats plying up and down selling coal, gas and diesel. Support them. There is a thread in this forum called "Fuel Boats Tracking Section" which may help you, and there's a web site which lists them and their telephone numbers - something like "Lock 13".

Here

It is worth being aware that when storing bags of coal on the roof the plastic does start to deteriorate with sunlight and so beware that if a bag has been up there a while )maybe the last bag left over in the spring?) you are likely to go to reach for it and it will split. If you are not very careful the contents, or at least some of it, may end up in the cut! That can get even more expensive!

Are transport pallets not a free source of firewood ? Here they are often found dumped at a companies roadside entrance specifically for those who dont wish to pay for more traditional supply. I may be barking up the wrong tree where pallets are made of more durable material in UK ? Just a thought.

Are transport pallets not a free source of firewood ? Here they are often found dumped at a companies roadside entrance specifically for those who dont wish to pay for more traditional supply. I may be barking up the wrong tree where pallets are made of more durable material in UK ? Just a thought.

Yes but they burn quickly. Great for kindling and for quick heat in e.g. autumn rain showers but they're a faff to get if you don't have a car.

I get them from a local courier company I sometimes work for, they otherwise have to pay to have them taken away.

• 2 weeks later...

I see loads of pallets left by the road - in various states of repair. If you have a easy way of cutting them up and transport then there are fine but its a time v money issue. Still chopping them up keeps you warm and means you don't light that fire so early.

Hi everyone-

x

Google your area for coal merchants

Research them to see which are cheapest for deliveries (check that a £70 - £100 spend will get free delivery)

(You'll want 25Kg (or at a pinch 20Kg) polybags)

Please don't assume that cheapest 'brand' coal is the best value

Depending upon what type of stove you have, the smaller smokeless briquettes (Excel or Supertherm) will burn hotter, and will stay in overnight if you set your stove correctly. Aim for £8 - £10 per 25Kg bag (of the above) delivered.