Brass Chimney Chain Links

c c

Featured Posts

I would question those links as made available currently being WW1 & WW11 as depicted in Ray's post. I have a canvas bag reputedly a Gas mask bag, purchased in the early sixties with brass links just the same, and the quality of the bag is but a mere shadow of the earlier heavy duty canvas bag that I know WAS a second WW bag. Though I don't remember the links in detail, those that Speedwheel shows look like the pukka items.

Nonetheless, cleaned up and polished they look pretty fine.

I would question those links as made available currently being WW1 & WW11 as depicted in Ray's post. I have a canvas bag reputedly a Gas mask bag, purchased in the early sixties with brass links just the same, and the quality of the bag is but a mere shadow of the earlier heavy duty canvas bag that I know WAS a second WW bag. Though I don't remember the links in detail, those that Speedwheel shows look like the pukka items.

From the ad.

"Now used on boats as decoration, often to attach handpainted flowers pots, buckets and accessories.

Note: These are a genuine brass handmade replica".

From the ad.

"Now used on boats as decoration, often to attach handpainted flowers pots, buckets and accessories.

Note: These are a genuine brass handmade replica".

Also from the ad:

"WW1 & WW2 Brass Gas Mask Bag Clips" & -

"Used for securing the shoulder strap to the gas mask bag. These became a popular item from WW1 used by barge drivers for making chains for the adornment of the steam funnel. They also used the chain for attaching tools and other items."

Had the advertiser placed the word 'replica' in front of WW1 etc, then the description would not have made a possible contravention of the trades description act. Not that It bothers me other than another sleight and deceptive piece of advertising. The rest of the description gives an account of knowledge - or lack of it.

Old git.

I'm still sporting a 'Pinnock'

Oooh you want to be careful there. Some seriously dodgy worksmanship I've heard!!!! ;)

...yeah, and don't you forget it!! :P

Still can't believe it fitted Woof so well... obviously meant to be.

Mike

Tigs - Buy him a couple of ciders and he'll soon forget!

• 3 weeks later...

Derek, I've managed to get hold of a pukka 1941 gas mask bag complete with clips.

dscf5557m.jpg

I originally intended to cut the clips off and use them in my chimney chain but the bag and strap are in such good condition it would almost be an act of vandalism to do that.

I have decided to keep the bag intact on the boat.

That's the same pattern as mine purchased in the seventies, but look at the difference : -

007Small-1.jpg

009Small-1.jpg

The bag is the same, but the ring onto which the clips are fitted is steel and showing signs of rust, and the clip whilst still brass doesn't have the folded link.

My older one - and a much heavier quality, was given to me when about seven years old by my Brother-in-Law full of fishing gear, may have come from his National Service in the RMC far East, or even from his Dad - I don't know, nor do I remember the clips in any detail other than they were brass.

I don't collect stuff, but seem to attract donations (seldom money though!). Here's a blast from Granddad's day : -

I wonder if any surviving boatmen cherished one of these.

013Small.jpg

010Small-1.jpg

The card reads:

"With best wishes for a happy Christmas and a Victorious New Year. From the Princess Mary and friends at home."

It came posted to Gran in a little wooden box addressed to J. C. Reynolds. He did survive.

I don't collect stuff, but seem to attract donations (seldom money though!). Here's a blast from Granddad's day : -

I wonder if any surviving boatmen cherished one of these.

013Small.jpg

010Small-1.jpg

The card reads:

"With best wishes for a happy Christmas and a Victorious New Year. From the Princess Mary and friends at home."

It came posted to Gran in a little wooden box addressed to J. C. Reynolds. He did survive.

What a beautiful family keepsake and air-loom.

Thank you for showing it.

Thanks Ray, there's a bunch more but not for here.

Nice bag by the way - hope it gets used!

Edited to add:

I got curious about my 'old', long gone bag and believe it was a D & M Ltd bag circa 1941.

Someone's flogging one on Ebay HERE. They've messed it up with dye or paint, and I see there are no clips of the like we seek, but the bag as a whole is the same as I once had. Memory failure I guess, though I do recall it was a seriously tough old bird - heavy duty canvas with the two short straps at the back, presumably for attaching to an over the shoulder harness for use in the 'Ready' position on the chest.

The type Ray has and my later copy are apparently MK VII's.

Edited by Derek R.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

This is a long shot.....Resolute's chimney chain is a set of 7 "double" links, as shown in the earlier posts (that's where the d ring is fixed to the hook by a wrapped srong brass strap. 2 od my links have lettering stamped into them. One says " T R & sons" and the other, stamped around the hook, presumably before bending, reads AG20 JB 7/50. Can any forum members enlighten me as to meaning for either of them? I did enquire of the Imperial War Museum several years ago but I'm still waiting for a reply!

While typing, does anyone have accurate information on the dates of production of both types of clip, the double and more common single? (The single has the D ring attached directly to the hook). One theory I've met with is that the more ornate doubles were WW1 and the simpler single WW2 altho' I've yet to see pictures of WW1 bags. Many of the bags I've cut clips from are dated 1941 and are singles.

Sorry to be an anorak, I'm waiting for paint to dry so thought I'd ask the question. Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Dave