Brass Chimney Chain Links

c c

Featured Posts

Funny enough I looked hard at their chrome companion set for a solid fuel fire (our cabin is chrome fitout) and rejected it based upon that on ebay, I could get an antique chrome companion set with matching chrome coal bucket with claw feet for the same price and real good quality that is impossible to find in modern products.

From the description that was very likely made under my fathers supervision at John Harper & Co Ironfounders in Willenhall, I still have some of that ware, the chroming and enamelling was very superior..

Hi Laurence

Quantity was the problem, nobody wanted to make 50. Lesters are still manufacturing but will no longer produce cans. Demand for a decent product is very small, there are still some old stock left that is hard to move, mainly small cans for souvenir ware. As you know, bcmw output is a far cry from old stuff!

The craft guild went and asked for 50???? I am not suprised they got the short call. 500 would be a reasonable run but even then small to some concerns.

You must realize that in the "old days" these things were run off in large quantity, it was only the survival of some patterns and low volume needs Bockocks and of Lesters that kept them going, although I find it odd they they are still in business having retired and living quite close to me ex. Is this a "new" Lesters?

Lawrence,

This was the kit £51. Claw foot bucket and Thistle ended 4 piece companion set.

I don't need the guard on the NB so was given to a gratefull real fire owner.

T2eC16JHJGUFFh0eheBRtNGGnMmw60_12_zps132

Thats really nice and very good value. Who want far east junk when thats around! The brushes for the companion set can still be got from the hardware shop in the town centre, he still holds "old" Harpers spares.

Stanley Bros in Queen st would be a good place to start, I have given this name before on here. There is also a number of other firms still involved in the brass buckle trade in the town.

It just means you have to physically go and look not live on ebay, try this: http://www.eyland.co.uk/

Hi Laurence

I've just tried Eyland, but with no joy. Stanley Bros leads to Abbey England. Will try them next - and I shall let you know how i get on.

Ben

Hi Laurence

I've just tried Eyland, but with no joy. Stanley Bros leads to Abbey England. Will try them next - and I shall let you know how i get on.

Ben

Abbey still has a foundry and works on the Stanley Bros site.

• 1 year later...

Stainless chimney, copper rivets.....could be Andy Hoyle from Dove or Michael Pinnock from Clover, there's someone else on the GU who makes bespoke chimneys, can't remember his name. There must be others I'm not aware of, but I endorse the earlier post,of the quality of the stuff offered by most chandlers...mostly junk!

Dave

Stainless chimney, copper rivets.....could be Andy Hoyle from Dove or Michael Pinnock from Clover, there's someone else on the GU who makes bespoke chimneys, can't remember his name. There must be others I'm not aware of, but I endorse the earlier post,of the quality of the stuff offered by most chandlers...mostly junk!

Dave

Brinklow - Simon Wain.

I think Dave Parrot will make you a chimney too. (Sawley Lock).

Hampstead has one of Dave's chimneys and a titch made over 10 years ago and they still look stunning, he knows what he's doing.

I have one of andys and they're equally nice and he's now doing them in stainless steel which is good

Here is an example of Mike Pinnocks. (I have no connection other than happy with the result - Mike made it for me and posted it).

Note there may be two Chimney Chains in view...................

20140811_095252_resized_zps5671b1fb.jpg

Yes, I believe boaters who were willing to allow the Salvation Army aboard to help for any reason had a red band(s) on their chimney.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=46687

In the 1950's Major & Mrs Fielding had a converted butty named Salvo often moored at Sutton Stop, originally having been at Fenny Stratford, to help with illness, maternity or read for the boaters as the majority of them couldn't read or write.

The were a few "scollards" who had had some schooling. But often it was difficult for the boat people to get an education as there were more often than not on the move.

Edited by Ray T

I read that "red band" explanation somewhere as well, could have been from one of the working waterways series. I was speaking to one of the Best children ( well, in his 50s or 60s now ) I asked him about the red bands and he said no boats that he ever saw had red between the brass bands. So I wonder if that explanation was is correct??

Darren

Thank you Mark.

Although my boat is a "clone craft" * I do carry on many of the traditions of the past.

* Not so sure about the "clone craft" moniker as only 3 of this type were ever built, the other two being Monsalvat and Gee Jay.

Edited by Ray T

• 2 weeks later...

The Walsall area where tradition dies hard! Despite the plethora of ex Balfour Beatty pick ups with dodgy looking "scrap dealers" in the area we do still have TWO horse drawn rag'n'bone men around!!

I have seen one of those carts crash into a Mini on Bloxwich High St - well the horse walked into the Mini, that counts doesnt it? :-)

Made me chuckle somewhat.