Brass Chimney Chain Links

c c

Featured Posts

I think the links were brass clasps from army packs. Has anyone got any knocking about to make into a chain?

These can often be found on e-bay, although I can;t find any at the moment. Lockside Antiques are advertising a reproduction version for £58 on their website.

I am still after a Doug Greaves reproduction 'Gas Mask Bag Clip" chimney chain that he was selling by the link in the early to mid 1980's - I used to have one but gave it away ! Fortunately I already have a 'real' one, just no boat to put it on :captain:

I think the links were brass clasps from army packs. Has anyone got any knocking about to make into a chain?

Hi there, I got three chains each with ten links on, two were my nans and one was given to me 2 weeks ago from the daughter of a ex boater. I do have though, which I found in my nans shed years ago 7 hooks and 7 hoops if you want them then all that you will have to do is get someone to make up the brass link to join them together. Not a hard job for someone Im sure. I do think these chains do look better. Anyway let me know if you want them.

Darren

Genuine originals are hard to find but I believe the company that made them years ago still knocks them out from the original formers. I think they advertise on e bay.

George ex nb Alton retired

Genuine originals are hard to find but I believe the company that made them years ago still knocks them out from the original formers. I think they advertise on e bay.

We've got these reproduction ones from eBay. They're not as good as the originals but after a couple of years' polishing they lose their harsh edges and look OK.

That was Stanley Bros Walsall, buckle makers. Still in business but not making these links for a long time from what I understand. Mainly harness stuff now. I visited their factory last year when looking for work to be done, a goldmine of brass bits and bobs.

edit to add: They are now part of Abbey Saddlery who bought out BB Stanley Bros.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Hi

Original clips are hard to find. Ebay is a source but most sellers don't show the clip on the photo. An Army and Navy Surplus store called Springfields at Burton on Trent used to have originals and when supplies were exhausted they had some copies made in India....not quite the original thing, but close enough to pass muster. I think that they have a website, certainly worth a try.

As a traddie, I'm a fan of these chains and collected avidly several years ago (stopped now). They look really good, sparkling against the black of a chimney, especially with a pair of "lamb's tails" cotton line ropework over the hook that holds them. Mind you, decent chimneys are hard to source too...most chandlers' stock I wouln't touch with a long shaft!!!

Cheers

Dave

Andy off the Dove is your man for chimneys - not cheap but absolutely fantastic. He had one at BCNS bonfire last year that he did for a friend that was almost drawing gasps of appreciation from the assembled throng. Having said they weren't cheap, I really don't know how he makes any proper money from them There was some talk of Steve Priest going into chimneys but now he has a dutchman to play(?) with I don't think he will have the time:)

Andy off the Dove is your man for chimneys - not cheap but absolutely fantastic. He had one at BCNS bonfire last year that he did for a friend that was almost drawing gasps of appreciation from the assembled throng. Having said they weren't cheap, I really don't know how he makes any proper money from them There was some talk of Steve Priest going into chimneys but now he has a dutchman to play(?) with I don't think he will have the time:)

I would have to beg to differ about Andy's chimneys not being cheap. I have an absolute stunner off him which he made at the Northwich do, and it wasnt much more than you'd pay in Swindlers. The thickness and quality of the brass alone is outstanding. Not only that, but at Shacky, whilst I was away, he spruced it up for me with another coat of paint and cleaned the top rim, unbeknown to me!

Also looking for some nice chain for it, especially after loosing my last chimney to a bridge :/

Have asked my Dad where the two chimney chains he has came from.

app he made them himself.

When they delivered coal to Croxley Mills around 1946 there was a large shed alongside of the canal

that was full of all Army surplus kit (kit bags, webbing,boots & gas masks)

The brass hooks where cut from the kitbags & gas masks

then sent elsewhere to be melted down.

Dad said it was a thing for the boatmen to go into the shed & grab a handful off the pile

& make their own chains & then sell them for extra pin money.

• Greenie 1

Yes, your chimney must have been a very special deal indeed as I heard today that it was £100 less than I was quoted :( still you are far more in with the in crowd that I will ever be.

:( Well it is very beautiful, so much so that I would have been more than happy to pay £100 more (although dont tell Andy that!) Still at that price for the quality I dont know how he can make any money on them

I suspect the piles at Croxley would be materials used in the making of paper. Such was termed 'rag', and of course the metallic items 'recycled'. A term that was used in every household for anything that could be re-used. We had a 'rag'n bone man' that used to call monthly with his horse drawn cart around the North London streets.

I suspect the piles at Croxley would be materials used in the making of paper. Such was termed 'rag', and of course the metallic items 'recycled'. A term that was used in every household for anything that could be re-used. We had a 'rag'n bone man' that used to call monthly with his horse drawn cart around the North London streets.

When I moved to the North East four years ago I was astounded to find our local 'rag'n bone man' still uses a horse and cart, unless the weather is poor (not nearly as often as you may think) in which case he uses a transit pickup :captain:

When I moved to the North East four years ago I was astounded to find our local 'rag'n bone man' still uses a horse and cart, unless the weather is poor (not nearly as often as you may think) in which case he uses a transit pickup :captain:

The Walsall area where tradition dies hard! Despite the plethora of ex Balfour Beatty pick ups with dodgy looking "scrap dealers" in the area we do still have TWO horse drawn rag'n'bone men around!!

Yes, your chimney must have been a very special deal indeed as I heard today that it was £100 less than I was quoted :( still you are far more in with the in crowd that I will ever be.

Don't where you got that from Jim, they're all the same price. And no, I aint going to get rich doing these.

Andrew

Gas mask bag links still available here:

http://www.springfie...-bag-clips.html

They are fairly rough pressings but with some fine emery cloth and 3 in 1 type oil followed by lots of Brasso and elbow grease they come up quite well.

dscf4974qg.jpg

ETA just noticed they are out of stock at the moment but there is the facility to be added to a waiting list.

Edited by Ray T

Gas mask bag links still available here:

http://www.springfie...-bag-clips.html

They are fairly rough pressings but with some fine emery cloth and 3 in 1 type oil followed by lots of Brasso and elbow grease they come up quite well.

dscf4974qg.jpg

ETA just noticed they are out of stock at the moment but there is the facility to be added to a waiting list.

I think those chains and hardware deserve better chimneys