Thieves Strike

jelunga

Featured Posts

Yes I mean entering by water.

I don't ever recall seeing one when ever we passed the entrance - some-one who moors there will advise I'm sure.

Google earth would seem to confirm it's no longer there - unless it's directly under and hidden by the footbridge over the entrance.

SawleyMarina.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Fifteen year's ago I was moored further up the river at Shardlow Marina, and on our way back would very often call at Sawley for a meal in the restraunt or coffee and cake's in the cafe, so I was pretty familiar with Sawley (don't tell me you have googled up and the restraunt and cafe have gone) Google me a pic from the late ninetie's which show's no barrier?

Fifteen year's ago I was moored further up the river at Shardlow Marina, and on our way back would very often call at Sawley for a meal in the restraunt or coffee and cake's in the cafe, so I was pretty familiar with Sawley (don't tell me you have googled up and the restraunt and cafe have gone) Google me a pic from the late ninetie's which show's no barrier?

GE's imagery for that location only goes as far back as 2001 I'm afraid (and still doesn't show a barrier BTW) so it must have been removed prior to then. For clarity I'm not doubting what you are saying just that it looks like it's gone now which is a shame as it would enhance security to a degree.

I've no idea about the coffee shop and restaurant.

SawleyMarina_1.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

we moored at sawley for 6 years and left last year, i have never seen a water entrance/exit barrier there. i believe the barrier you may have saw was across the ( then ) sales pool .

Edited by GoodGurl

There's serpently no barrier across the water any longer, the restaurant is still there (just) - though it appears to be devoid of customers in its dingy interior more often than not (and this year's poor weather hasn't helped any)

It is a bit (very) disappointing that BWML don't seem to be able to make more of a marina located on such an important 'crossroads' location on our waterways.

Mercia (all be it independently run) had a thriving little cafe/restaurant, cyclists, motor cyclists, boaters and walkers, all came from afar.....

Mercia (all be it independently run) had a thriving little cafe/restaurant, cyclists, motor cyclists, boaters and walkers, all came from afar.....

Seconded. Spent a few days there last year & as well as daytime being very good, they opened I think once or twice a week in the evening & served a very good meal.

We have to be sure its the RIGHT camouflaged boat

Not sure if this is correct but it seems to me that all boats should carry their name on both sides of the hull, likewise reg number should be prominently displayed. Having spent 10 years on The Broads I reckon the Broads Authority have it right in this instance. the regs state each boat carries it's reg number on each side of the bows and on the transom/stern. The size of reg number is very specific for each class/size of boat. 99% of boats also as a matter of pride carry their name on bows and transom/stern, even dinghies and inflatables have to carry numbers. Woe betide any boater who does not display number and in fact Toll Plaques. The BA is very specific where numbers and Toll Plaques are displayed, they wont put up with a number or Toll Plaque stuck in a window.

This means that all boats are instantly identifiable to anyone and given that BA Navigation Rangers are all equipped with laptops the whole process of policing the waterways of The Broads is an easy task. I have seen many boats here in The Fens that carry neither name or number or if they do carry a number it is so small,and tucked in the corner of a window that it may as well not be there, small wonder so many boats get away with no tolls, BSS etc as nobody knows who they are.

(for Tolls Plaque read license)

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

We have to be sure its the RIGHT camouflaged boat

No you interview the owners of all camouflaged boats, to eliminate them from your inquiries, or you used to in my time.

Sawley marina's cctv hasn't been operative for a number of years.

Despite requests from (some of) their moorers, the management has not seen it necessary to rectify the situation

Er find out who there insurers are and shop them. Its probably a condition of their insurance.

Not sure if this is correct but it seems to me that all boats should carry their name on both sides of the hull, likewise reg number should be prominently displayed. Having spent 10 years on The Broads I reckon the Broads Authority have it right in this instance. the regs state each boat carries it's reg number on each side of the bows and on the transom/stern. The size of reg number is very specific for each class/size of boat. 99% of boats also as a matter of pride carry their name on bows and transom/stern, even dinghies and inflatables have to carry numbers. Woe betide any boater who does not display number and in fact Toll Plaques. The BA is very specific where numbers and Toll Plaques are displayed, they wont put up with a number or Toll Plaque stuck in a window.

This means that all boats are instantly identifiable to anyone and given that BA Navigation Rangers are all equipped with laptops the whole process of policing the waterways of The Broads is an easy task. I have seen many boats here in The Fens that carry neither name or number or if they do carry a number it is so small,and tucked in the corner of a window that it may as well not be there, small wonder so many boats get away with no tolls, BSS etc as nobody knows who they are.

Phil

I would also insist on name / licence number on the roof. For all boats compulsory.

Phil

EA & the Broads have always had good enforcement. BW never has, which is what is causing so many problems now. Now it is going to cost a fortune to sort out unless cart just allow the anarchy.

No you interview the owners of all camouflaged boats, to eliminate them from your inquiries, or you used to in my time.

Be careful what you say on this. I suggested the same thing in post 17 and got a twisted response from Fade to Scarlet in post 21.

I have not had an explanation as yet. I'm not convinced that the Polise always wear hoods and masks whilst interviewing boat owners.

Martyn

Be careful what you say on this. I suggested the same thing in post 17 and got a twisted response from Fade to Scarlet in post 21.

I have not had an explanation as yet. I'm not convinced that the Polise always wear hoods and masks whilst interviewing boat owners.

Martyn

After you said you would be happy to be interviewed by the police if you had a similar boat, I read Fade to Scarlet as saying would you be happy being confronted by a group of vigilantes as seemingly advocated in other posts, so commenting on other posters rarher than yourself.

Can I just clarify, are the police looking specifically for this camouflage boat in connection with the theft, or just generally investigating?

If it is the camo boat of (rightly or wrongly) ill repute on the forum that I have passed a few times, it has the boat name very clearly written on the bows, and shouldn't be too hard to find or identify from the other camo boats due to this?

Edited by Starcoaster

If it is the camo boat of (rightly or wrongly) ill repute on the forum that I have passed a few times, it has the boat name very clearly written on the bows, and shouldn't be too hard to find or identify from the other camo boats due to this?

Perhaps it would be even more helpful if it had "This is the Camo boat you're all talking about." painted on the side and all the others have "This is not the Camo boat you are all talking about" on theirs.

On the evening of Friday 24th after around 1930hrs, a camouflaged narrow boat enrered Sawley Marina and stole a tan coloured cruiser.

This has been reported to Leicester Police.

Keep your eyes open and please report any sightings. Lock up your valuables.

If this is the same scotes who have been seen leaving a trail of thefts all over the canal ststem, how do they get away with it? Is the boat not distinctive enough?

Are they using adaptive camouflage which is better than James Bond's?

But seriously, if you moor your cruiser at Sawley and you have a brown / tan tint on your hull or topsides, check your boat is still here.

Only just saw this thread. I saw them at Trent Lock on Sunday towing a now camouflaged cruiser behind them, they were pissing about going round in circles, not saying they all was but they all looked like they were either stoned outta there tiny minds, pissed or both. After nearly crashing into the towpath they then moored just before the lock on the Erewash.

Bout time these scroats were caught.

Can I just clarify, are the police looking specifically for this camouflage boat in connection with the theft, or just generally investigating?

No boat name Starry, but it IS licenced. I checked the boat number with BW which is the only thing displayed in the window.

So, two different camouflaged boats then?

Pictures might clarify.

The one starcoaster knows is a long term rugby/braunston cruiser, not suspected of anything Afaik!!

The trent lock one moves from loughborough to beeston to shardlow (3 different police districts) and needs sinking.

Again it should not be confused with another long term moorer who lives just below the most northerly loughborough lock, also in a camo boat.(hasnt moved more than 1 mile in 3 years, far more important if you are an IWA member)

Only just saw this thread. I saw them at Trent Lock on Sunday towing a now camouflaged cruiser behind them, they were pissing about going round in circles, not saying they all was but they all looked like they were either stoned outta there tiny minds, pissed or both. After nearly crashing into the towpath they then moored just before the lock on the Erewash.

Bout time these scroats were caught.

No boat name Starry, but it IS licenced. I checked the boat number with BW which is the only thing displayed in the window.

Be interesting to see the number plate matches the boat

But Roxy, the boat name is printed on the licence. Did you not take a note of it????!!

Mike