Thieves Strike

jelunga

Featured Posts

Not particularly. Just pointing out a problem with vigilante-style justice. Whether the Police are doing anything or not, it's still theirs to deal with.

Why are you having a go at me?

I've said nowt about vigilantes and the like.

I think you ought to have another look at my posts. Then if you feel the need say you have connected me to the incorrect post say something appropriate to me.

Martyn

Sawley marina's cctv hasn't been operative for a number of years.

Despite requests from (some of) their moorers, the management has not seen it necessary to rectify the situation

If Sawley Marina make a big play on their CCTV, and have signs around, I'd be inclined to use a fat red marker and write - 'out of order' on them. Most are pityfully useless anyway. The resolution isn't good.

Should imagine the miscreants are prepared anyway and hoody-up.

Why are you having a go at me?

I've said nowt about vigilantes and the like.

I think you ought to have another look at my posts. Then if you feel the need say you have connected me to the incorrect post say something appropriate to me.

Martyn

HEAR,HEAR.

Interview the owners of all the camouflaged boats. The Police will soon determine if the owners are dodgy or not.

I would be quite at ease for the police to approach me if a crime was related to a green boat with Nightwatch in the name.

Martyn

I was not referring to the police

A while ago a posted the question about security at marina's,there was one or two sarcastic comment's like, erecting machine gun post's and other unhelpful idea's,quite funny, but maybe not so funny if it is your boat that has gone missing.Boat's been broken into,boater's are probably their own worst enemy not bothering locking gate's onto pontoon's.But now I must admit, it seem's they really do need a machine gun post at Sawley!

Catching a culprit, and dealing with him, can be a very good deterent. Lets face it, the police are not going to deal with it, are they?

Not that I would ever do such a thing, being a law abidding citizen, but if such a tea leaf would get a late night visit, I presume that would leave a lasting impression, to not steal from other boaters again.

Or we just leave them to it. Don't do anything, because it' against the law. You know, like not locking your doors, to stop them damaging the door...

The trouble with all this is that the scrote doing the theiving, if caught, will only get a token punishment. Any honest person trying to stop them by force will be in deep trouble with the police, probably because they are an easier target.

There is no the incentive to get involved.

What we need is a change in the attitude of the police and/or legislation.

It's time the 'Spare the rod' brigade saw the light.

Marina security isn't always so simple, as these, and another incident spate in this area a couple of years ago, where thefts following boats entering marinas at night and thieving via a boat....not entering by foot or car.

Marina security isn't always so simple, as these, and another incident spate in this area a couple of years ago, where thefts following boats entering marinas at night and thieving via a boat....not entering by foot or car.

Actualy the cctv does work in sawley. I was in the chandelry shop thingie at the weekend and they were running through their recordings on their monitor whilst I was there.

Tim

On the evening of Friday 24th after around 1930hrs, a camouflaged narrow boat enrered Sawley Marina and stole a tan coloured cruiser.

This has been reported to Leicester Police.

Keep your eyes open and please report any sightings. Lock up your valuables.

If this is the same scotes who have been seen leaving a trail of thefts all over the canal ststem, how do they get away with it? Is the boat not distinctive enough?

Are they using adaptive camouflage which is better than James Bond's?

But seriously, if you moor your cruiser at Sawley and you have a brown / tan tint on your hull or topsides, check your boat is still here.

A few points occur to me:

1) Jelunga, what evidence is there that this happened please? Did youwitness it personally or is the report hearsay?

2) Everyone seems to be assuming the police are taking no action. How do we know this to be the case? The police don't post on discussion forums the status of their investigations.

3) Why has this forum not mounted one of is famous 'stolen boat search' campaigns? The missing boat can't be hard to find surely?

A few points occur to me:

1) Jelunga, what evidence is there that this happened please? Did youwitness it personally or is the report hearsay?

2) Everyone seems to be assuming the police are taking no action. How do we know this to be the case? The police don't post on discussion forums the status of their investigations.

3) Why has this forum not mounted one of is famous 'stolen boat search' campaigns? The missing boat can't be hard to find surely?

MTB

I was in the Marina office when the event was first reported yo them . police crime no recorded and BWML actioned.

The trouble with all this is that the scrote doing the theiving, if caught, will only get a token punishment. Any honest person trying to stop them by force will be in deep trouble with the police, probably because they are an easier target.

There is no the incentive to get involved.

What we need is a change in the attitude of the police and/or legislation.

It's time the 'Spare the rod' brigade saw the light.

In fact you are allowed to use reasonably force, and at the end of the day reasonable force is defined by 12 of your peers in court if it goes that far.

So ask you self what you would judge as reason force.

Just a thought

:blush:

MTB

I was in the Marina office when the event was first reported yo them . police crime no recorded and BWML actioned.

I see. I'm puzzled about your comment then in your OP suggesting anyone owning a tan boat in Sawley checks its still there. Surely this is not necessary as the marina office would look up the owner's contact details and inform them immediately. Or was it just a throwaway comment?

I'm wondering if there really was a theft or if the scally camoflage boat was already towing the tan boat when it entered the marina, and someone has made a big assumption about them stealing it from the marina as they cruised back out.

They could just as easily have stolen it from somewhere else ;)

I see. I'm puzzled about your comment then in your OP suggesting anyone owning a tan boat in Sawley checks its still there. Surely this is not necessary as the marina office would look up the owner's contact details and inform them immediately. Or was it just a throwaway comment?

I'm wondering if there really was a theft or if the scally camoflage boat was already towing the tan boat when it entered the marina, and someone has made a big assumption about them stealing it from the marina as they cruised back out.

Aren't they known for towing something (although didn't it sink at Derwent lock?)

Aren't they known for towing something (although didn't it sink at Derwent lock?)

Yes this was my thought too. Although their 'butty'previously sank, they may have raised it, or if not are very likely to have already obtained a replacement so will still be crusing around dragging another boat.

Mike

The witness saw the cam boat enter on its own then leave towing a tan boat..Which is why they phoned the Police.

Since it is BH weekend it is not poss to know whi h boats are out in use and which are missing for nefarious reasons.

Yes this was my thought too. Although their 'butty'previously sank, they may have raised it, or if not are very likely to have already obtained a replacement so will still be crusing around dragging another boat.

Mike

Or are equally likely to be looking for a replacement I spose

When I had my last narrowboat a few year's ago you could not get into Sawley Marina unless you had got a key to unlock the barrier, so have they not now done away with this mean's of security? The "butty" mentioned, sunk just before Derwent lock was still there yesterday morning and is definately going nowhere.

When I had my last narrowboat a few year's ago you could not get into Sawley Marina unless you had got a key to unlock the barrier, so have they not now done away with this mean's of security? The "butty" mentioned, sunk just before Derwent lock was still there yesterday morning and is definately going nowhere.

Do you mean access via the water -? All marinas that I am aware of are able to be entered by boat...

Barriers and locks deter undesirables entering via. land based routes but if their modus operandi involves using a boat pretty much anywhere is accessible.

Catching a culprit, and dealing with him, can be a very good deterent. Lets face it, the police are not going to deal with it, are they?

Not that I would ever do such a thing, being a law abidding citizen, but if such a tea leaf would get a late night visit, I presume that would leave a lasting impression, to not steal from other boaters again.

Or we just leave them to it. Don't do anything, because it' against the law. You know, like not locking your doors, to stop them damaging the door...

The deterrent must be seen to work.Tie the miscreant to a local lamp post with a sign around the neck.