Midge Deterant?

Canal Rat

Featured Posts

After many camping and fishing trips in Scotland, I know the only absolutely certain way to deal with midges is to shut yourself away - in the tent, indoors, in a car - for the critical hours in the morning and evening with a book/newspaper/canal guide and whisky/coffee to suit. You'll come out of your purdah ready to parteeee big time and no midgie bites!! :cheers:

Edited by Jo_

This works:

Avon Skin so Soft Dry Oil Spray Soft and Fresh

Agreed

Skin so soft was mentioned on Radio 4 as an effective insect repellent a couple of days ago.

I was advised to use DEET a number of years ago by an ex RAF survival training instructor who spent a great deal of time in Northern boggy environments where midges are abundant(West coast of Scotland)

Out of curiosity I did a little googling and found this

The site does recommend 100% DEET to be rubbed on clothes, which is what my 'man who knows' advised. But I also rubbed it into my hair and all exposed skin. It doesn't taste very nice if you get it on your lips but I have confidence in his advice.

I notice that that the site says that Skin so Soft does NOT work as an insect repellent so maybe some comparative trials ought to be done - who's going to volunteer?

:) one of the best 'nasty biting creature' remedies I have found is Garlic, if you do not like to eat it raw then garlic capsules work as well :) the lickle blighters do not like the taste of it when it is absorbed in the skin :). Its best to take it daily 2 weeks in advance of going to midgy hotspots :)I ensure that my saplings take garlic capsules before they go abroad, and I take them every day anyway, but especially high concentrated ones in the summer otherwise I am eaten alive :(

It might not work for everyone but its worth a try as its a natural remedy :)

Hi

having lived in Scotland for 10 years we tried all remedies. Avon's Skin so soft dry oil body lotion (blue bottle) works You can get it online from Avo cosmetics (don't worry husband uses it) - even schools stock it for the kids.

My other half has a severe reaction to insect bites and has found taking vitamin B12 reduces his reaction- you need to take it daily and a decent strength tablet.

One other thing which doesnt stop you being bitten but does reduce swelling and itchiness of bites is Tiger balm- a very strong menthol ointment- He's used it in Asia several times and it does reduce the swelling and itchiness

A combo of Avon Skin So Soft, the Soft and Fresh one, and Ben's 100 insect repellent spray:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000UNZFBQ/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550933389&ref=asc_df_B000UNZFBQ

Horse flies are the bain of my life, they've got jaws of steel. One got hold of my arm last week and I squished it then immediately sloshed white vinegar on the bite (it was all I had handy), and it didn't flare up.

I didn't have any repellent on, hence I became a tasty snack, but the vinegar seemed to neutralise the bite, they normally come up like golf balls on me.

A combo of Avon Skin So Soft, the Soft and Fresh one, and Ben's 100 insect repellent spray:

http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B000UNZFBQ

Horse flies are the bain of my life, they've got jaws of steel. One got hold of my arm last week and I squished it then immediately sloshed white vinegar on the bite (it was all I had handy), and it didn't flare up.

I didn't have any repellent on, hence I became a tasty snack, but the vinegar seemed to neutralise the bite, they normally come up like golf balls on me.

That's worth a try! Thanks :)

That's worth a try! Thanks :)

Have just got back from touring the Western side of Scotland, the midge season is earlier than normal this year.

I forgot to take midge protection - but they seem very selective, I got about 70 bites, my wife was bitten three times.

It's 'Avon Calling' for me next time!.

Leo

Have just got back from touring the Western side of Scotland, the midge season is earlier than normal this year.

I forgot to take midge protection - but they seem very selective, I got about 70 bites, my wife was bitten three times.

It's 'Avon Calling' for me next time!.

Leo

Think you will find the little beggers bite down that way too !

I have read that the Marmite thing is a bit of a myth, but some people swear by it.

When I was in the agricultural feed industry, I formulated a mineral block with garlic. It really did help keep the flies off the livestock (don't give it to cows in milk though unless you want a really different taste to your coffee...).

When I go to malarial countries I use Deet, it's the one thing that really works.