Primrose Engineering

RLWP

Featured Posts

Pink?, Now don't tell me all customers work is going to be returned painted shocking pink Please !!.

Bloody good luck to you though !

Only the female ones. Male ones are blue :P

And I would rather put back whatever the original colour was, or to match the installation to be honest

Richard

Hi,

From the pics of your workshop and work I have seen over the years on the forum you have a first class set up - best of Luck.

Leo.

They do say the camera never lies...

I'd like to record our gratitude that Richard just happened to be passing "Sickle" within minutes of us having removed the gear linkage parts that had become "unstuck" as we attempted to join the final Braunston Historic Boat parade.

Yes I was amazed too that after rescuing Sickle, the failed parts were out of Sickle's engine room, out on the tug deck , fault diagnosed and Richard was proposing a range of solutions, all before I'd finished mooring the boat!

Let's say the arrangements could be demonstrated to have not been the best, but Richard took the parts away on Sunday, and by Wednesday I was back up at Braunston refitting them, after he had done what is almost certainly the best repair possible, without re-engineering the whole arrangement, (which is still under consideration).

I wish him every success, because it is hard to find people who do these engineering jobs well, and there is a real niche in the marketplace I would say.

As a customer of Richard's I am equally impressed. The manner in which he re-built Reginald's misbehaving gearbox was very professional. The only problem is that everything he touches comes back pink. Did you have this problem too Alan?? :D :D :D

Richard I'm certain your venture will be highly successful. Do you have time to attend to Reginald's sticky governor and sort out an ident to hold the decomprssor lever in place (as we discussed the other day) any time soon? Reg is now moored in Calcutt for the forseable future where one can can the van right up close to the boat. (These things are important with a boat that needs loadsa work!)

Mike

(Edit to correct my spelin of 'Sickle'!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

It would be useful for less knowledgeable people like me if you could spell out what type of work you do do and what you don't do.

Good luck with your new business.

Thank you, that's useful feedback. I'm working on getting a website up to cover this. I've also got the usual start-up business problem of 'oh yes, we can do anything'. In reality it is better if I can identify exactly what it is that I do well and communicate that

Richard

Yes I was amazed too that after rescuing Syckle, the failed parts were out of Syckle's engine room, out on the tug deck , fault diagnosed and Richard was proposing a range of solutions, all before I'd finished mooring the boat!

As a customer of Richard's I am equally impressed. The manner in which he re-built Reginald's misbehaving gearbox was very professional. The only problem is that everything he touches comes back pink. Did you have this problem too Alan?? :D :D :D

Richard I'm certain your venture will be highly successful. Do you have time to attend to Reginald's sticky governor and sort out an ident to hold the decomprssor lever in place (as we discussed the other day) any time soon? Reg is now moored in Calcutt for the forseable future where one can can the van right up close to the boat. (These things are important with a boat that needs loadsa work!)

Mike

Thanks Mike

PM sent

Richard

Thank you, that's useful feedback. I'm working on getting a website up to cover this. I've also got the usual start-up business problem of 'oh yes, we can do anything'. In reality it is better if I can identify exactly what it is that I do well and communicate that

Richard

Won't "I'm really good at fixing stuff" cover it?

Won't "I'm really good at fixing stuff" cover it?

Possibly, and I'm not going to pretend I'm really good at fixing multiple alternator, inverter, charger, solar panel, shorelines, galvanic isolator, Wheatstone bridge systems. I'm pretty sure I could think my way through something like that, I'm happier with the more mature mechanical stuff

Richard

Ah yes, the solid mechanical stuff that you can get your hands on.....none of those slippery electrical voles and amps that you can't see..........can't blame you really, a sensible choice. :lol:

Roger

I have done stuff with voles and ants in the past, and with bits, bytes and nibbles.

Am I good at that stuff? I'm sure there are much better experts out there that I'd rather pass that stuff on to

Richard

HELLO,HELLO.HELLO,is that Primroses? i want 4,203 3'x6''case hardened clevis pins made and delivered by midday,thank you,ding!.

All the best Richard. :cheers:

Do you want split pins and washers with those?

Richard

Hi SAM. Yes, I'll need the bread and butter stuff.

Richard

I wish I'd known that last week when I was looking for someone to service 'Red Wharf's' engine.

Still, it will need another one in 200 hours or so. See you then, if not before.

SAM

I was wondering about your signature Richard, I wish you good luck, but I have a feeling that your skills and knowledge render luck a very small part of the operation. i

I have something, related to my gearbox, which I will discuss when I collect later in the week.

Possibly, and I'm not going to pretend I'm really good at fixing multiple alternator, inverter, charger, solar panel, shorelines, galvanic isolator, Wheatstone bridge systems. I'm pretty sure I could think my way through something like that, I'm happier with the more mature mechanical stuff

Richard

I can help with Wheatstone concertina issues if that's helpful?

I'm so pleased to see this finally going public. You, sir, are a fine engineer.

Right, off to put my big girl pants on and single-hand Cobbett for the first time ever. Feel very wobbly.

OK, time to break cover

As of the 1st July, I am trading as Primrose Engineering, doing - well - the stuff I've been writing up here. So, gearbox repairs, unusual engineering challenges, bespoke machining and so on

I have been looking for something to do with my talents, this is it.

Richard

Best wishes for success Ka'plah!

It would be useful for less knowledgeable people like me if you could spell out what type of work you do do and what you don't do.

Good luck with your new business.

I was just going to say that, also where will you be doing it..

I was just going to say that, also where will you be doing it..

That's a fair question, at the moment I guess it depends on what it is. I'll give that some thought, thank you

So that's what you do.You sound like a perfectionist having read the posts.Good luck to you sir!

I like to think I'm also reasonably pragmatic

Richard

After lurking about the forum anonymously for a couple of months and have read the technical input you have made I am hoping to become another customer of yours quite soon. It seems that I have to make 5 posts before I can pm you though, so here's the first.

cheers

Roger

After lurking about the forum anonymously for a couple of months and have read the technical input you have made I am hoping to become another customer of yours quite soon. It seems that I have to make 5 posts before I can pm you though, so here's the first.

cheers

Roger

Hi Roger, welcome to the forum

Richard