Fishermen blocking the towpath

Featured Posts

Soo - - - to follow on from my (Completely incorrect belief that towpaths were public rights of way - - and I recognise that I am now wiser) - I deduce it is true that no angler is able to purchase a permit to prevent other categories of people from access to the towpaths. - So, as Chertsey suspected, the angler with whom she was having a problem was merely being rude and boorish, and spinning a yarn

Correct, unless BW post notices to the effect that the towpath is closed to walkers (and cyclists) for a fishing match.

Edited by David Schweizer

The fishists were out in force today on the W&B near Stoke Prior.

One screamed at me to "go down the middle" (I was on the left to keep away from him and his ilk on the right bank).

I have often wondered which is better, give them a wide berth, or keep to the middle of the channel?

I've had conflicting replies from those fisherman I have asked. Would the anglers amongst us care to comment?

I have often wondered which is better, give them a wide berth, or keep to the middle of the channel?

The best, and most considerate, thing to do is to pause at each peg, using carefully moderated forward and reverse gear, to give you time to ask each individual angler their preference.

The best, and most considerate, thing to do is to pause at each peg, using carefully moderated forward and reverse gear, to give you time to ask each individual angler their preference.

Is that also with the smell of bacon cooking.

I've had conflicting replies from those fisherman I have asked. Would the anglers amongst us care to comment?

The 'default' they prefer seemingly is to go down the middle unless they wave you to the near or far side.

I used to worry about this too - but as we have boated more and more and discovered just how miserable and incapable your average muddy ditch maggot drowner is of civil and courteous human interaction I worry a lot less.

Hi,

Is there a 'North South' divide on the fishing problem?.

On the Southern GU, fisherpersons seem to be more tolerant and some have a sense of humour (perhaps it's the dog collar I wear and bless each one as I pass and indicate they 'will catch fish').

I recall fisherpersons 'oop North' seem a less cheerful bunch, especially if involved in matches where prize money is at stake.

One must not question the amount of baggage anglers have on the towpath - boaters generally surround themselves in several thousand pounds worth of steel/GRP in the persuit of their hobby.........

Leo.

On the Calder and Hebble A fisherman in a van pursued cyclist who damaged the fisherman's pole, then threw him and his bike into the canal, than took him to court for damage to the fishing gear. Why was the fisherman not prosecuted for attempted murder and assault. The cyclist said he didn't want to pursue the matter any further. Probably terrified.

Hi,

Is there a 'North South' divide on the fishing problem?.

On the Southern GU, fisherpersons seem to be more tolerant and some have a sense of humour (perhaps it's the dog collar I wear and bless each one as I pass and indicate they 'will catch fish').

I recall fisherpersons 'oop North' seem a less cheerful bunch, especially if involved in matches where prize money is at stake.

One must not question the amount of baggage anglers have on the towpath - boaters generally surround themselves in several thousand pounds worth of steel/GRP in the persuit of their hobby.........

Leo.

It must be the Dog Collar Leo. Some of the rudest and most unpleasant anglers I have met have been on the southern GU, especially in the Home Counties section. A particularly notorious spot is Pitstone, where we have moored several times as guests of the Dunstable Cruising Club. There are very clear BW signs stating no fishing opposite the Club moorings, and one morning one of the club officials pointed this out to a couple of anglers casting their lines under the moored boats. The response was not totally unexpected "Can't f....ng read mate"

I was also told of another occassion the same approach was met with a tyrade of unrprintable abuse, after which the Angler walked all the way down to the bridge, and along the road, breaking into the club grounds through the neighbouring field where he accosted the Club Official and started to give him a beating. He was eventually restrained by other members who called the police.

I had a less offensive, but equally inconsiderate experience with an angler fishing under Pitstone wharf bridge who refused to move because there was a "huge Chubb (or was it a Perch?)" lurking under the bridge. I gave him a couple of minutes but as he neither showed any evidence of catching the unfortunate creature, or moving, I proceeded under the bridge, he was not happy!

Then tghere was some National Chamionship through Milton Keynes, mile after mile of them. I gave up listening to "instructions" as to where I should steer the boat, particularly as I never got a "thank you" for complying, so I proceeded down the middle at normal cruising speed.

In their favour I have to say the the Retired Civil Service Angling Club who I encountered some years ago on the Aylesbury Arm, were charming and friendly, even though I had unknowingly moored on two of their competition pegs.

Anglers are in the same category as dog owners. Ban the lot of them!

Head down - incoming

Right, who else can I upset on a peaceful Sunday night

You can't ban Dog owners..........

Who will look after the dogs and clear away the mess they have just dumped on the tow path?

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Also we sometimes say sorry to them for having to maneuver say in front of them perhaps to dodge another boat ect,not once EVER have i had one apologize to me for fishing in awkward places,like in locks and from landing stages.

Here we have a large fishing lake opposite our backwater where we're moored but they frequently have matches on our back water bashing their floats and tackle against our boats,whilst sitting on high adjustable thrones high enough to peer into folks windows.Most of them at that club are fairly friendly though.

Once they actually stationed a member by their lake with an airgun to shoot Heron and the odd Cormorant that turns up their.

I had serious words with the clubs president who's also the local bailiff about it,and asked him how many fish do you think they catch ''thousands''he said ''plonker'',i said ridiculous,they'll go go for the easy meat,slowed by weakness or disease first and even then how many do you think they can eat.The air gunner was removed.

Up until a year ago we had a contract with BW to litter pick with long handled pickers a mile of river every 10 days in our electric outboard powered 14'open boat 'Bin laden'' and one day whilst picking rubbish at the head of the weir which is sort of opposite the fishing club lake another high up official of said club came running down the towpath ''A FISHERMAN RUNNING''wow must be important.He pulled up opposite us and uttered Oh! its you,with those long pickers i though it was ''THE POLES'','Electro'fishing,somehow stunning fish with electricity,the stupid idiots blame the Polish for every missdeed around here.

From The Waterways Code:

"Anglers ...... Make sure the towpath is easily passable by

keeping your fishing tackle tidy"

Clear enough?

And to agree with others, the towpath is not a public right of way unless it has been specifically designated as such. Designated sections will show the standard red dotted line marking on an OS 1:50,000 map, as on this example (just above Knowle Locks on the GU).

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/img.srf?image=SP17NE64.gif&loc2=44&type=O&road=Y

David

One screamed at me to "go down the middle" (I was on the left to keep away from him and his ilk on the right bank).

At least he showed some emotion; the rest of them were a picture of abject misery.

For goodness sake, it was a beautiful spring day!

That explains it then. They are only truly happy when its cold and raining.

Last month, heading towards Keadby, we arrived at Thorne Lock in company with a cruiser. There was a fisherman at the end of the lock landing. Not content with that, on the downstream landing were another 4 of them. When my wife exited the lock she headed for the landing. The first angler had 4 rods out. Despite he should have seen the surge of water from the lock, the gates opening and 58ft of boat leaving, he made no attempt to get his lines out. He got the first 3 out before she got there but the fourth was caught on the front of the boat. But of course, it was our fault.

After staying at Thorne for a couple of days, we pased under the railway bridge and slowed to a crawl to pass the boats moored by the marina. There were 3 anglers spread out opposite the marina entrance. The first had left his rod out and was talking to the second. Having suddenly noticed us he ran back to his rod and got his line out in time. That didn't stop him swearing at my wife, however, she gave back as good as she got!

Next day at Keadby, we swoke to fishermen sitting all the way along the visitor moorings behind us. Having breakfasted, etc I wanted to fill the water tank before going out into the Trent. I got off the boat just in time to see another setting us his gear immediately in front of us. I said, you can either move behind us or I'll drag my hose across your gear. He moved but all his mates came up to make sure we wern't hassling him.

We are now on the Chesterfield where the anglers seem to be a much more pleasant bunch. A few days ago I rounded a bend before Worksop and the wind took the front towards the edge, heading for a fishermen. He got out of the way but not before I had used the bow thruster and really stirrded the water up. I duly apologised and he simply answered 'its the wind'.

Yesterday we moved up from Worksop intending to moor below Deep Lock by the Lock Keeper pub. The moorings were full of anglers but there was just enough space at the far end. As I pulled in, I apologised to the farthest angler and said I was going to moor. His answer,'Was I alright or did I want him to move!.

Going back to Thorne, we spent some of the winter in Blue Water Marina. It seemed every Sunday the far, towpath bank had a match. It certainly put us off walking along it because of the poles and, according to the OS map, that is a public footpath. Whilst the occasional match is OK should there not be some sort of limit?

Also we sometimes say sorry to them for having to maneuver say in front of them perhaps to dodge another boat ect,not once EVER have i had one apologize to me for fishing in awkward places,like in locks and from landing stages.

I once had one sat gnome like on a winding hole, who accosted me with "do you have to do that HERE" when I dared to use the winding hole.

"No mate, I could try a mile downstream to see if there is another idiot sat in that one".

At least he showed some emotion; the rest of them were a picture of abject misery.

A couple of points here...

1) As these anglers are using canal-wide poles, it is reasonable to infer they are actually fishing for fish on the opposite side of the cut to where they are sitting, so by keeping as far away as poss from the fisherman, you were actually suppying the worst possible disturbance to the swim he was fishing in. Better to steer down the centre in my view.

2) Although most fishermen look like miserable old gits, as a boater you have no idea of the tension and drama being played out in their minds during an important angling match. Each angler has little idea how well their competitors are doing, so it is a bit like running a race without being able to see any of the other runners. You just have to keep up the pace and hope you turn out at the end to have caught the most fish. This, in my view, is what leads to the anger when a boater bomes along and fecks up a potential fish-catch. You 'may', by coming along just when you did, be preventing them catching the one fish that means at the weigh-in they win the £500 prize* so YOU, the boater, are the reason they may fail to win it. No wonder we get glared at sometimes. Or often. Whatever the weather.

*Just my guess at the prize money involved.

I have tried to be tolerant and reasonable in this thread, but (as I have said before) if I am boating, anyone fishing on a lock landing simply does not exist. They are welcome to try their luck on the offchance that a boat won't come along but they should expect NO quarter if one does.

You 'may', by coming along just when you did, be preventing them catching the one fish that means at the weigh-in they win the £500 prize....

Or you may have pushed the winning fish out of his neighbour's swim, into his, thus giving him the prize.

Glass half full, and so on...

A couple of points here...

1) As these anglers are using canal-wide poles, it is reasonable to infer they are actually fishing for fish on the opposite side of the cut to where they are sitting, so by keeping as far away as poss from the fisherman, you were actually suppying the worst possible disturbance to the swim he was fishing in. Better to steer down the centre in my view.

2) Although most fishermen look like miserable old gits, as a boater you have no idea of the tension and drama being played out in their minds during an important angling match. Each angler has little idea how well their competitors are doing, so it is a bit like running a race without being able to see any of the other runners. You just have to keep up the pace and hope you turn out at the end to have caught the most fish. This, in my view, is what leads to the anger when a boater bomes along and fecks up a potential fish-catch. You 'may', by coming along just when you did, be preventing them catching the one fish that means at the weigh-in they win the £500 prize* so YOU, the boater, are the reason they may fail to win it. No wonder we get glared at sometimes. Or often. Whatever the weather.

*Just my guess at the prize money involved.

All the more reason then to weave haphazardly and erratically across the cut... thus giving it a good old stirring,

that way they are all equally disadvantaged...

While I can see that it might be a smidgen frustrating to have boats passing by as you try to catch that poor defenceless fish (ok its the fish's fault for taking the bait), shouldn't anglers on a canal bank expect to have the odd boat or ten pass by every couple of hours. It's not as if narrowboats generally creep up on you - the engines tend to be audible from quite a distance.... or is it just mine :captain:

I once had one sat gnome like on a winding hole, who accosted me with "do you have to do that HERE" when I dared to use the winding hole.

"No mate, I could try a mile downstream to see if there is another idiot sat in that one".

I've often been asked to ''stir the water up a bit with your prop'',''I've been sat here for hours and not caught anything''.And as you probably know by stirring up the canal or river bed Roach will home in immediately on the disturbance after tit-bits and the angler will almost certainly get a bite,you often see this happening astern of you as you cruise on.

I have often wondered while passing slowly through what seems like miles of fishing competitors, what would happen if I needed to pull in and moor, or even if I just felt like doing so. Obviously I never have, but it would seem that having paid for my licence to navigate which comes with a right to use the towing path, I have as much right to moor on it, as they who have paid for a peg, have to sit and fish there. But, would they show the same tolerance and consideration to my boat stopping, as I show to them fishing?

I think the convention is that you do just that, half-speed and down the middle. This avoids disturbing shallows on either side where most feeding fish are likely to be. The offside may indeed also be where anglers have thrown or catapulted maggots as ground bait, so best left undisturbed. Sometimes they catapult maggots into your boat, so it's best to keep on the best side of them.

I'm a fly fisherman myself.

Edited by Giggetty

My understanding is that most tow-paths are not automatically rights of way, and that a walker or cyclists use of the majority them is "by permission".

Correct Alan, where a waterway was never legally abandoned, it's towpath is not generally a right of way, unless agreement has been reached.

This is because most canal companies in their enabling legislation, or subsequent legislation, gave themselves the rights to exclude people, because it makes enforcing any rules on tampering or vandalising the works a heck of a lot easier and also allowed them to specifically exclude difficult individuals. The law was nothing like as sophisticated as it is now, but this is generally held to be the case.

Curiously, because abandonment usually meant repealing the enabling act, towpaths of canals that have been abandoned usually ARE public rights of way, assuming the canal existed long enough and was abandoned late enough (Don't try this for the Croydon Canal for example)

There are some exceptions, the towpath of the Peak Forest Canal is a public right of way because the then Cheshire County Council made it a condition of paying for repairs to Marple Aqueduct in the 1960's. It had partially collapsed and BW wanted to demolish it.

I think the convention is that you do just that, half-speed and down the middle. This avoids disturbing shallows on either side where most feeding fish are likely to be. The offside may indeed also be where anglers have thrown or catapulted maggots as ground bait, so best left undisturbed. Sometimes they catapult maggots into your boat, so it's best to keep on the best side of them.

I'm a fly fisherman myself.

I hope that was tongue in cheek, and not a serious suggestion.