Fishermen blocking the towpath

Featured Posts

As an infrequent angler I appreciate their frustration and I try to be considerate and generally pass anglers mid stream and ease back on the throttle to minimise disturbance. That said if they have chosen a stupid spot such as next to bridges where you can't see them till you emerge from the bridge I can't do much about it.

I have had the odd shout of abuse in which I case I give it a very large handful of reverse to slow the boat and say "Pardon I missed that". ;)

There's a guy who fishes here at Braunston, under the bridge by the top baisin where moorers come in and out through.

Not only that but he fishes the marina side of it, not the canal side- his line right out into the middle of the main marina basin corridor!

I don't know if he gets stroppy or not if asked to move (which must happen all of the time!) but I can only assume not, because otherwise it'd all be a bit nuts really!

Edited by Starcoaster

I often have to past fisherman both on the boat and on footy. For some reason I generally dont get any grief.

Mind you could be something to do with the sight of 3 "wolves" looming into sight!I do always warn them to mind their packed lunch though! Most fishermen are pleasent, and I always try to pass with as little disturbance as possible.

But there are always going to be miserable people and life is too short to get your knickers in a twist, so to speak!

There's a guy who fishes here at Braunston, under the bridge by the top baisin where moorers come in and out through.

Not only that but he fishes the marina side of it, not the canal side- his line right out into the middle of the main marina basin corridor!

I don't know if he gets stroppy or not if asked to move (which must happen all of the time!) but I can only assume not, because otherwise it'd all be a bit nuts really!

Star,

I've passed the guy you mean a few times and had no problem. He seems quite happy to pull his gear out while boats come through. I guess if he caused a problem the Marina would have a word.

Edited as "happy to pull his tackle out" didn't sound right :unsure:

Edited by Meggers

Well there's always the bloody hare-brained cyclists!

And of course the stupid people who ditch crawl in pleasure boats. As we know the canals were built for working boats of which there are very few left. The simple solution is to make canals into linear landfills thus solving a few problems in one go. Most importantly there would be no more petty arguments between pleasure boat owners/cyclists/canoeists/anglers/dog walkers etc. (all said tongue in cheek of course.)

I can only recall one real argument with an angler, and that was quite recently whilst walking the family dogs (he seemed to object to the fact that we had the audacity to walk five dogs [on leads] along "his" towpath, and suggested we might be better going in the other direction. Though out of character, I told him to f*ck off.) I have never had any problems with anglers when steering the boat (though I have found other boat owners to be unreasonable on occasions.)