Aluminium stop planks

dor

Featured Posts

Just had the following stoppage notice:

Lock 3, Aston Lock

Wednesday 29 February 2012 - Wednesday 29 February 2012 British Waterways are undertaking a training exercise for the installation of new aluminium stop planks and require the navigation to be closed throughout the day.[/i]

So, are BW planning on using aluminium stop planks? Is this another of their misplaced "how can we spend the most money" projects?

Surely stop planks are left by locks etc for use in an emergency? I can't believe they would leave these anywhere anyone could get to them.

If the aluminium stop planks are the same size and shape as wooden ones, which I guess they must be, why would anybody need training how to fit them?

And if they are different, is it not something that they can do on dry land rather than shut the canal?

Edited by Dog

I can sort of see the reasoning behind using aluminium stop planks. Unlike wooden ones which float and have to be pushed down – quite an awkward job - these will, presumably sink in the grooves under their own weight.

I think I read somewhere that they're not supposed to use stop planks more than a certain age, the figure I heard was for a very short life but it might not be true. Metal ones will be easier for a 21st century safety engineer to inspect. Just my guess.

Tim

I can sort of see the reasoning behind using aluminium stop planks. Unlike wooden ones which float and have to be pushed down – quite an awkward job - these will, presumably sink in the grooves under their own weight.

So could be a real b******* to remove :rolleyes:<_<:rolleyes:

Iain

I can't believe they need to close the navigation for a whole day for training purposes. It's totally ridiculous. If these new stop planks are designed to fit the original slots, then surely any moron could figure it out! Doh!

Maybe it's for testing purposes rather than actual training, surely they'd want to test the viability of aluminium planks before the expenditure. The training will come, if needed, after they've equipped all areas with the new style planks.

Edited by Yellowback

As BW have just been replacing all the wooden stop-planks in the area, and giving them all new little houses, I expect the whole lot to be scrapped any day now and replaced with a much more expensive alternative.

Could it be that - because "you can't get the wood" - aluminium is worth a consideration?

Light, easy to handle and because of that can be transported to where it's needed, rather than having to stockpile them locally? (where of course they could be pinched.....

Even in emergencies a team has to be despatched to fit them - so why not send them in a 4WD with the team/

If I'm right it's a "brilliant" idea, so being a cynic, I'm probably wrong......

If not, then the guys will need to experiment with several locks - hence the closure.

Discuss.

Aluminium stop planks have been around for a couple of decades, and BW tend not to leave stop planks anywhere these days because even the wooden ones get pinched. I think they may be box aluminium, as in hollow, and they will float. One problem is that most stop plank groves are rather, erm, bespoke and thus a set that fits in site A may not fit in site B.

Training in ANY stop plank fitting is necessary, albiet rudimentary, the consequences of failure don't bear thinking about

BW also toyed with stop boards, where an entire set of aluminium stop-planks is pre-assembled and can be lowered in of a piece, however putting the stop board for the lower gates into the stop groves for the upper gates at Upper Lode Lock on the Severn lead to the death of a diver, so they may have gone off this idea

Daily Torygraph report

On the L&LC they've gone back to wood, though the lads who use them had to convince the engineering office staff that it was worth doing the calculations to show that they were safe. Wood stop planks are much easier to seal properly, and easier to handle even though heavier (try holding wet metal in winter and metal won't float into a good position for sealing). I just wish the lads on the bank were given a bit more say by those in the office when it comes to making practical decisions - and it's not just BW!

Wasn't there some problem with the weight of wooden planks and Manual Handling regulations ?

On the Selby IIRC they have small manually operated cranes situated at the sites where they drop stop planks in, probably aluminium planks are a cheaper option though.

On the Selby IIRC they have small manually operated cranes situated at the sites where they drop stop planks in, probably aluminium planks are a cheaper option though.

Sure;ly the solution is for composite stop planks-metal body, elm ends. better seal, lighter overall weight (all patents pending).

Sure;ly the solution is for composite stop planks-metal body, elm ends. better seal, lighter overall weight (all patents pending).

That is extendable so it will fit all gaps therefore not requiring bespoke manufacture - (i will add to your patent) :)

They have those on the Bridgewater too, except they are rather large cranes.

Nick

That is extendable so it will fit all gaps therefore not requiring bespoke manufacture - (i will add to your patent) :)

OK, what is your patent method for securely attaching the ends?

Remember the stress on them will be substantial, for the lower planks anyway.

Tim

Light, easy to handle and because of that can be transported to where it's needed, rather than having to stockpile them locally? (where of course they could be pinched.....

Even in emergencies a team has to be despatched to fit them - so why not send them in a 4WD with the team/

If I'm right it's a "brilliant" idea, so being a cynic, I'm probably wrong......

Discuss.

Its a good idea - in theory! But I doubt if a common set of planks will fit all locations. The widths surely vary?

OK, what is your patent method for securely attaching the ends?

Remember the stress on them will be substantial, for the lower planks anyway.

Tim

No idea Tim, i am not on ends, my idea is the extendable bit in the middle !

Sounds a bit like the boats they built for the turf traffic in Eire during the war. Steel was in short supply, so they made the curved bits at either end of steel, joined by straight wooden sides. It didn't take long for the ends to fall off!

It wouldn't surprise me if the ally planks have been inspired by the pallet of pine ones that failed their stress testing a year or two back... Good firewood so I'm told!

I can't believe they need to close the navigation for a whole day for training purposes. It's totally ridiculous. If these new stop planks are designed to fit the original slots, then surely any moron could figure it out! Doh!

Taking the winter stoppages into account and the fact that the flight is closed anyway it suddenly pales into insignificance...

• 2 weeks later...

BW Trials New Lightweight Aluminium Stop Plank

BW has been testing a new lightweight aluminium stop-plank. Stop planks are traditionally made of wood and are designed to be used during canal breaches.

The planks were first tested during an emergency lock stoppage in London late last year and BW said this first use was a great success. A new test took place on 29th February at Aston Lock, on the eastern end of the Trent & Mersey near Shardlow.

The new stop planks are said to be much easier to handle than wood, faster to install, and because they are telescopic they don’t have to be cut specifically to size. In addition, unlike dedicated wood stop planks, they don’t have to be stored on site, so would not be subject to vandalism.

Read the full article on the Waterways World website

Just see that on the IWA bulletin

Nick