iPhone shock

fudd

Featured Posts

Hello everyone. I'm on the Nene at the moment on a hire boat. I'm using my iPhone as a navigation aid just really to see roughly where I am in relation to the outside world. I keep getting a shock on bare skin from the bare metal on the hull. I have it charging constantly from the inverter. Any ideas. Thanks in anticipa.............

Yes. See roughly where you are in relation to the outside world by opening your eyes, looking forward, then to the left, then to the right, then forward again and repeat the process. You'll be amazed how much you can see.

Oh, and look behind occasionally to make sure that another boat is not following you closely.

To avoid the shocks on bare skin, cover your skin. You will find clothes helpful for this.

Finally, put your blasted mobile telephone away in a drawer until you absolutely need to use it to make telephone calls (this was the purpose for which these devices were designed). One of the many benefits of going boating is getting away from electronic gadgetry. Radios are allowed, but should be steam-powered.

First off stop using it. Then get professional advice.

I would guess that the install is not up to standard & does not have a Neutral Earth bond & or RCD in full working order.

This is good advice. Follow it.

Tony

Yes. See roughly where you are in relation to the outside world by opening your eyes, looking forward, then to the left, then to the right, then forward again and repeat the process. You'll be amazed how much you can see.

Oh, and look behind occasionally to make sure that another boat is not following you closely.

To avoid the shocks on bare skin, cover your skin. You will find clothes helpful for this.

Finally, put your blasted mobile telephone away in a drawer until you absolutely need to use it to make telephone calls (this was the purpose for which these devices were designed). One of the many benefits of going boating is getting away from electronic gadgetry. Radios are allowed, but should be steam-powered.

:cheers::lol: :lol:

Yes it could be a wiring fault in the boat and that needs checking out. But if it is only happening with the iPhone...

When my iPad (I know, sorry, it was a birthday present from my mum) is charging from the mains there is a definite 'buzz' from the aluminium casing. We have tried testing it with an electrical poking thing (my technical term) and it didn't register anything (but we might have been doing it wrong) but it is definitely there. It's not mechanical vibration and it only happens when it's charging from the mains, not when it's unplugged nor when it's charging from 12v.

But having said that, it is good advice to put the phone in a drawer and use the Imray guide instead. A lot less expensive when it falls in too.

Yes it could be a wiring fault in the boat and that needs checking out. But if it is only happening with the iPhone...

When my iPad (I know, sorry, it was a birthday present from my mum) is charging from the mains there is a definite 'buzz' from the aluminium casing. We have tried testing it with an electrical poking thing (my technical term) and it didn't register anything (but we might have been doing it wrong) but it is definitely there. It's not mechanical vibration and it only happens when it's charging from the mains, not when it's unplugged nor when it's charging from 12v.

But having said that, it is good advice to put the phone in a drawer and use the Imray guide instead. A lot less expensive when it falls in too.

My old phone– a Nokia snartphone- used to do this too, whether charging from mains or inverter, on several different chargers. Didn't do any lasting damage.

Finally, put your blasted mobile telephone away in a drawer until you absolutely need to use it to make telephone calls (this was the purpose for which these devices were designed). One of the many benefits of going boating is getting away from electronic gadgetry.

This post reminds me of when I was moored up on the Grand Union at the Grove just north of Watford about 10 years ago. I was sitting at a fold up table and chair on the stern deck working on my laptop, trying to get the dissertation for my degree finished. I seemed like a more pleasant way to work than sitting in the college library.

Another narrowboat came around the bend and one of the blokes at the stern shouted across "Leave it at home jobsworth! Don't you have enough of that during the week?" I couldn't help thinking that since he probably didn't live on his boat he had no need for electronic gadgetry on board. Once your boat becomes your home everything changes, although I do agree that I'd rather be looking around than looking at an iphone screen while I'm on the move.

I know this sounds a bit counter-intuitive, but occasionally shocks like this are caused by a static build up on the person, not the phone.

What are you standing on? Are your shoes and counter mat insulating you from the hull? Is your tiller arm earthing you?