What Engine?

clovey

Featured Posts

Short of having a independant comparison on different makes of engine, any idea of what to avoid would help.

In place a Perkins D3.152 with a few problems. Looking to change, yes I could spend a fair bit to possibly sort the issues out with the Perkins but my feeling is change. Types of engine to look at Beta, Shanks (Barrus Shires, Isuzu & BMC all very dull I know, but hopfully practical. I would be looking at a new engine for a 57ft narrowboat any feelings / info on which way to go would be appreciated.

Short of having a independant comparison on different makes of engine, any idea of what to avoid would help.

In place a Perkins D3.152 with a few problems. Looking to change, yes I could spend a fair bit to possibly sort the issues out with the Perkins but my feeling is change. Types of engine to look at Beta, Shanks (Barrus Shires, Isuzu & BMC all very dull I know, but hopfully practical. I would be looking at a new engine for a 57ft narrowboat any feelings / info on which way to go would be appreciated.

Don't forget the Alpha series Lister Petter Canal Star, we've been dead chuffed with our LPWS4, only prob is 100 hr oil and filter change, doddle to do though.

Edited by nb Innisfree

You can't beat a nice twin pot lister. :rolleyes:

mmmmmm boring engines. Well if absolute reliability, smooth running instant starting, no oil use,no water use no hassle is boring ? then I would go for the Beta. This boat has one and I had one fitted on a boat a few years ago.

Of course if your idea of boating is Noisey, rattly may or may not start water using oil burning trouble then there are several alternatives !! :)

Had a Beta 43 in ours - only done 185 hours so far but never missed a beat, starts easily first time every time, has (had ?) a very useful 175A Iskra alternator for the domestics as standard, doesn't burn any oil, warms up quickly, and seems fuel-efficient - I'd have one again I think, although there is a certain appeal to an older engine that would burn (almost) anything - e.g. veg oil / (home-made?) bio-diesel, old engine oil diluted in diesel, etc etc... and you can tinker/bond with on a Sunday morning :rolleyes: . Still, there is rarely time for such things at the moment anyway, so it was probably a good choice for us ...

Nick

I would get the perkins sorted, the D3 is a very nice unit. What's wrong with it?

The 3 Cylinder Perk leaps about at low revs (not tick over), also at high revs and I am told that the unit normally has 4 engine mounts this has 6 rubber mounts. There is a small diesel leak somewhere on the feed to the injectors between the pump & the injectors themselves and this is in an impossible place to get to between the exhaust manifold and the block. The whole thing is a bit of an animal. If I thought an amount of money would fix these problems then maybe keep it, but something tells me it could be sorted then a few weeks / months later the problems with balance would return.

To be honest I'm searching for any advice I can get on the matter!

We have a Bukh. Gorgeous. Expensive, difficult to find, expensive to service, hard to find parts for, but blooody glorious. Ours needs an overhaul and she still sounds bloody lovely.

Phut phut. :wub:

Why expensive to service?

For my DV36:-

From Camberly Auto Factors:

Oil filter £3.50

Fuel Filter £14.11 plus change the plug for an 8mm screw (taken from the old filter)

Air filter - special order but less than £5.00

Oil (15W40 API CF) £16.22

All plus VAT

The oil filter is The same as a BMC 1.8 & Ford Cortina.

All the above is comparable with any other engine.

The raw water pump impeller do seem expensive but the DV36 uses a low lift cam so they last for ages when compared with many boats and it is a perfectly standard Johnson/Jabsco unit so shop around.

Nothing odd about the alternator belt as long as you get a quality one.

I took well under two hours and that included changing the gearbox oil so I do not see how it should cost much more than say a BMC 1.8.

T W Marine at High Peak stock even the most obscure parts and do mail order but then you will be paying Bukh prices. Interesting when I needed an oil filter urgently Streethay offered me a Bukh filter at what I thought was a silly price so I asked for a BMC 1.8 and the price halved - but it did come in a Fram box rather than Bukh.

What I would say is that the DV36's 30 odd BHP may be considered underpowered for 57 ft by today's standards but I do not find it so on 54 ft.

Edited to add: Although still a 3 cylinder the BV36 uses internal balance weights to minimise the jumping about. They are also direct injected so can be a bit smoky at low loads and speeds.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Cool, thanks. It's some parts being quite pricey and difficult to track down, but you're right the basic service items aren't bad at all.

Ours is on a 65' and is fine. Not sure I'd want to fight a fast-flowing river on her, but she handles beautifully. Tiny rudder, but turns well with no effort.

B)

Edited by ymu

If you want practical, efficient and low emission then a Kubota (marinised by both Beta Marine and Nanni diesel) is a very reliable choice. So too are the Mitsubishi units supplied by Vetus. Isuzus have proved to be good workhorses, very popular with hire fleets which tells you something about their resistance to abuse, but sadly HMI, who provided the marine versions here in the UK, have ceased trading. Perkins D3 is a good old lump and the heartbeat if many Ferguson tractors, but if yours has reached the end of it's life, then give it a decent burial.

I have a hopelessly impractical Gardner 3LW with a straight through exhaust, uses a good amount of fuel, makes a lot of noise and takes up 7ft of space. But I love it. I also have a foxhound/collie cross dog. Straight through exhaust, makes a lot of noise, uses a good amount of fuel, makes a lot of noise and takes up 4ft of space. I love him too. Only one of them moults though. :)

Edited by Dominic M

Don't forget canaline

Had mine fitted in January - so pleased with it

At Crick I asked two hire companies what engines they were fitting nowadays and they both said canaline and had heard good reports from other companies before switching. Just FYI.

>snip<

I have a hopelessly impractical Gardner 3LW with a straight through exhaust, uses a good amount of fuel, makes a lot of noise and takes up 7ft of space. But I love it. I also have a foxhound/collie cross dog. Straight through exhaust, makes a lot of noise, uses a good amount of fuel, makes a lot of noise and takes up 4ft of space. I love him too. Only one of them moults though. :)

That's the trouble with Gardner engines, they moult . . . :cheers:

At Crick I asked two hire companies what engines they were fitting nowadays and they both said canaline and had heard good reports from other companies before switching. Just FYI.

Are these the Korean engines?

That's the trouble with Gardner engines, they moult . . . :cheers:

Yes. Mine has moulted the silver Hamerite painted on the exhaust manifold. ;

Edited by Dominic M

Replacing a Perkins D3 with a modern high revving engine like a Kubota based one isn't necessarily going to be a straight swap.

The Perkins is a relatively low revving lump, ans is probably swinging a prop that will not be appropriate to a new fast revving lower torque engine. Fairly certain you will get involved in at least changing the prop as well.

Personally I'd try and sort out the Perkins, which are normally well regarded, and pretty bullet-proof.

(I once had a P3, which I understand to be a broadly similar engine).

Replacing a Perkins D3 with a modern high revving engine like a Kubota based one isn't necessarily going to be a straight swap.

The Perkins is a relatively low revving lump, ans is probably swinging a prop that will not be appropriate to a new fast revving lower torque engine. Fairly certain you will get involved in at least changing the prop as well.

Personally I'd try and sort out the Perkins, which are normally well regarded, and pretty bullet-proof.

Good point.

>snip<

Ferrari-330-P3_9.jpg

A P3 engine in a narrow boat - 3.3 litres and over 400 bhp I'm impressed . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

Baldock has a D3 fitted and I can vouch for how good the engine is

I think bob Knowles may still have a couple of new ones left so you might be able just to do a core engine swop

All thebest

Chris

Give some thoughtto the gearbox as well. The hydraulic PRM 150 takes some beating - some engines come with very agricultural mechanical boxes...

Yes - I beat mine mercilessly and it never complains :)

Not really - I have not had any problems with it and regularly ( more often than recommended) treat it to an oil change, and also give it time to stop between fore and aft movements.

We treat each other well and both have a calm life...

Nick

Don't forget the Alpha series Lister Petter Canal Star, we've been dead chuffed with our LPWS4, only prob is 100 hr oil and filter change, doddle to do though.

the latest spec Lister/Petters are 250 hours between oil changes.