centre rope for mooring

cazberry

Featured Posts

...be patient, as still novice compared to most on here...

I read somewhere that you should never use the centre rope for mooring but they didn't explain why....

could someone enlighten me please?

ta muchly :blink:

I read somewhere that you should never use the centre rope for mooring but they didn't explain why....

Hi

Centre ropes are fairly new to narrowboats my first 2 did not have provisions for one, they are a new idea probably only 20 years as with dangling pipe fenders another no/no and not needed. The centre rope however is a great idea especialy for single handed use as the steerer has one end near to him and can step off the boat and pull it in. moored correctly there is never a need to use the roof mounted centre line, it is too high can make the boat heel over and looks naff. Properly tied with fore and aft ropes and correctly placed springs if necessary is all that is needed.

How many sea going boats or even tupperware do we see with centre ropes ?

Hope this helps.

:D

The problem is that passing boats, the wind, etc, can cause the boat to roll excessively because it's pulling on a point high on the boat. As muddywaters says, if the water level changed the boat could be pulled over, but it would need to rise quite significanly to do that.

However, if you 're sensible about it and make sure that the centre rope is loose then you can still use it to moor up.

It is fine to use the centre line for temporary mooring whilst waiting for a lock, providing you stay nearby to deal with any problems, it is also ok when first bringing the boat in to moor. However mooring permanently with the centre line only is insecure, and the boat will be pulled strongly by passing boats.

Sometimes you may want to use a centre line as an additional security line if the forward and aft pins are in soft ground, however it should be fairly loose as mooring with it tight will cause passing boats to make your boat rock heavily, possibly causing items inside the boat to fall off shelves etc. It also makes sitting in the boat decidedly uncomfortable.

Hi

Centre ropes are fairly new to narrowboats my first 2 did not have provisions for one, they are a new idea probably only 20 years as with dangling pipe fenders another no/no and not needed. The centre rope however is a great idea especialy for single handed use as the steerer has one end near to him and can step off the boat and pull it in. moored correctly there is never a need to use the roof mounted centre line, it is too high can make the boat heel over and looks naff. Properly tied with fore and aft ropes and correctly placed springs if necessary is all that is needed.

How many sea going boats or even tupperware do we see with centre ropes ?

Hope this helps.

:D

I am always amused by assertions about "new" features on Narrowboats. Our boat is 29 years old and was built with a centre line ring. I know tha Balliol Fowden had a repution for inovation, but I doubt that even he would claim that welding a Centre line ring onto the roof was that unusual.

Nothing wrong with using a centreline for temporary mooring, such as waiting at lock landings, as already mentioned, but never leave a boat unattended on a centreline. That's when things can go wrong, particularly if levels rise or fall or where there are strong currents from emptying locks.

Another tip is to keep the centreline stretched back along the cabin top so that the steerer can quickly grab it and step ashore when mooring up, thus keeping the boat under control at all times.

Much better than having it neatly coiled on the middle of the cabin top out of reach unless someone goes gunwale creeping.

Tone

I am always amused by assertions about "new" features on Narrowboats. Our boat is 29 years old and was built with a centre line ring. I know tha Balliol Fowden had a repution for inovation, but I doubt that even he would claim that welding a Centre line ring onto the roof was that unusual.

Hi David

Yes you are right some boats have had them for longer than others but my first boat a Swanline built in the 60's didnt have one nor my second a harborough built in the 70,s but I appreciate they have been fitted for some time now but still in the scheme of things relatively new. :)

We often moor where mooring rings are provided (good pubs) but due to the length of boat we can only use one, so have to use a mooring pin for the stern. The grounds very soft so as the centre rope corresponds with a ring we usually use it as a backup if, the pin comes out. As blackrose suggests we leave it slack, its all about commonsense really.

John b :cheers:

I frequently use the centre rope (as well as fore and aft) when mooring, but not direct to the bank. I pass it forward through the foremost top rail stanchion, then loop twice through a ring or pin, then tie off at the aftmost top rail stanchion. None of this absolutely tight. This acts as an effective spring line to stop Cygnet, which is a short boat, being moved too much forward or back when boats thrash past. :)

Mac

If using a centre line as a temp mooring at the bottom of a lock male sure the boat is very tight to the side.

I was once not vigilant about this and the flow emptying from the big double lock washed between the boat and the landing. The resulting angle the boat ended up at was quite alarming.

OP you will find when moored that if your mooring lines are attached at right angles to the boat, your boat will then have nothing to stop it surging backwards and forwards when a boat passes with the result that those lines will pull your boat over, that's why tying at an angle will stop this surging as it gives some for and aft stability. If we are forced to tie at right angles due to mooring rings spacing we use a couple of centre lines to go for and aft and tie off on mooring rings to act as springs, they stop the boat surging. Tying a centre line at right angles will cause the boat to heel over when boats pass.

It is fine to use the centre line for temporary mooring whilst waiting for a lock, providing you stay nearby to deal with any problems, it is also ok when first bringing the boat in to moor. However mooring permanently with the centre line only is insecure, and the boat will be pulled strongly by passing boats.

Sometimes you may want to use a centre line as an additional security line if the forward and aft pins are in soft ground, however it should be fairly loose as mooring with it tight will cause passing boats to make your boat rock heavily, possibly causing items inside the boat to fall off shelves etc. It also makes sitting in the boat decidedly uncomfortable.

What we tend to do with the centre rope is pretty much what you say although we will rarely tie up temporary with it.

At locks for example the wife will get ashore and set the lock 9 times out of 10 I will just hover with the boat but if we do have to wait in a que if there is only one boat ahead of us I will just get off and hold the boat by the centre line until it is our turn to go in the lock if more than one boat in front would tie the centre line.

When mooring the wife usually holds the boat in with the centre line while I tie both ends

Another tip is to keep the centreline stretched back along the cabin top so that the steerer can quickly grab it and step ashore when mooring up, thus keeping the boat under control at all times.

Much better than having it neatly coiled on the middle of the cabin top out of reach unless someone goes gunwale creeping.

Wise words

my boat has centre lines,roughly 40 feet from the bow (70 footer),one on each side of the boat at gunwhale height.

they reach back to the stern and live on pins until required for use.

when mooring up with crew or single handed,it is easy to step off the stern and slow the boat on bollards or draw the boat in,as the line is not attached to the roof,it has no tendency to pull the boat over.

at the "sharp end"there are quarterlines as well as the usual t stud at the bow.

Have been very interested to read this thread as no-one ever tells you what not to do, having said that we have always moored with all three - bow,stern and centre when mooring overnight. We found it helped stop the boat rocking. Reading this it would seem I should practice only with bow and stern :captain:

If you can, push the centre line through the centre fender mounting - presto! A third low level mooring line with none of the flaws described above!

??? Our centre fender mounting is the ring in the middle of the roof that the centre line attaches to :blink:

Richard

Edited by RLWP

If you can, push the centre line through the centre fender mounting - presto! A third low level mooring line with none of the flaws described above!

Edited as I was talking b******s and didn't have my brain switched on. Sorry. :blush:

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Friction will reduce the turning moment on your roof, but unless you tie to the (presumably gunwale height) fender mounting, the force is still being exerted where it's secured. Your fender hole is only an inefficient pulley.

Yebbut, the vector of the force on the hull from the rope is acting sideways. The only way it would tip the boat is if you could drag the roof down towards the gunnel.

You'd have a lot more to worry about then, like broken windows, reduced headroom...

Richard

Edited as I was talking b******s and didn't have my brain switched on. Sorry. :blush:

Too late! :rolleyes:

Richard