centre rope for mooring

cazberry

Featured Posts

Yebbut, the vector of the force on the hull from the rope is acting sideways. The only way it would tip the boat is if you could drag the roof down towards the gunnel.

You'd have a lot more to worry about then, like broken windows, reduced headroom...

Richard

Too late! :rolleyes:

Richard

Yes, always make sure brain is in motion before operating keyboard. Of course my postulation would hold true if your boat was made of a compressible material. Don't make your narrowboats out of rubber, people. You have been warned.

If you can, push the centre line through the centre fender mounting - presto! A third low level mooring line with none of the flaws described above!

Unless you try and put any force on the rope, such as strapping the boat to a stop- I've pulled off a few fender eyes from my boat, and don't use them as they're only snotted on.

mid rope eyes or dollys should be at deck level,as i described previously.

my port an starboard "breast lines are spliced on forged eyes that are very much welded to the deck.

the eyes were originally used for lifting cash machines into position.

i dont understand why more canal craft dont have them fitted as standard.

mid rope eyes or dollys should be at deck level,as i described previously.

my port an starboard "breast lines are spliced on forged eyes that are very much welded to the deck.

the eyes were originally used for lifting cash machines into position.

i dont understand why more canal craft dont have them fitted as standard.

Don't need them?

Richard

"mid rope [centre line] eyes or dollys should be at deck level,"

The downside of that arrangement is that it is harder to keep them under control. By running them off the roof and into the cockpit the steerer can see them all of the time. I presume you are laying yours along the gunnel when not in use - propellor fouling and gunnel clutter spring to mind!