New Marina Site near Northwich

kienik

Featured Posts

Sorry but if you can't turn the boat around, that means there's no room to manoeuvre. It looks a daft set up for a brand new marina.

You can turn the boat around - once you're out of the pontoons. Boats can go forwards and backwards, you know....

There's room to maneouvre but, as stated in post #48, the problem is if you go in forwards you're committed to coming out backwards, or vice versa. If its windy, you're 99% guaranteed to hit or rub against about 8 other boats on the way out (or in).

On the other hand, it allows more space at the end of the rows, where you do have to turn. I'd rather do my reversing close to boats in a straight line and have clear space at the end for turning than have to do the turning in a narrow corridor of stern ends.

MP.

You can turn the boat around - once you're out of the pontoons. Boats can go forwards and backwards, you know....

It looks too tight to do that, unless you are a very short boat. To be fair we only saw it from our boat. We didn't view it from the bridge over the entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

OK passed both sites today. A notice at the flash gives a web site that reads just like Barby Marina. all facilities, opening this summer, Please give us money.

EM07tLP.jpg

t3cK531.jpg

The other one there was a chap moving scaffold boards and a doser working in the distance. The bay to the right of the entrance will prove interesting as you will there back in or out from your slot onto the canal

NbFYzJX.jpg

a6zs7je.jpg

lp7RZ2l.jpg

We passed a couple of weeks ago. Not only are the finger jetties massively long, but there seems to be no room to manoeuvre inside the marina.

Looks like a similar arrangement to Anderton Marina, where we stayed for a week last year. Seemed to work OK in practise, as long as you happy to reverse down the row on the way in or the way out.

I presume you mean Uplands Marina at Anderton (formally Travel Reign) rather than Anderton itself.

This is the same 7*3+1 feet between the jettys, which is enough to have a boat each side and an 8ft access way down the middle. Which actually works really well and gives good boat density. The jetties are narrow, but as long as the is a boat one side or the other totally fine.

Daniel

It's not the width between the jetties that's the issue. It's how close the jetties are to the entrance, and how little space there is within the marina.

Not sure if they're planning diesel & pump out etc, but there's going to be little (if any) room for boats to manoeuvre.

Cant really tell, but this is an aerial shot of Uplands (south) and Anderton (north side of canal) which works well.

The have diesel, by the slipway, and gas etc as well as a heated wet dock.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Anderton,+Northwich,+Cheshire+West+and+Chester+CW9/@53.276436,-2.523941,360m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487af934ed030c1d:0x21697f3360b2f3a6!6m1!1e1

Daniel

Cant really tell, but this is an aerial shot of Uplands (south) and Anderton (north side of canal) which works well.

The have diesel, by the slipway, and gas etc as well as a heated wet dock.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Anderton,+Northwich,+Cheshire+West+and+Chester+CW9/@53.276436,-2.523941,360m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487af934ed030c1d:0x21697f3360b2f3a6!6m1!1e1

Daniel

You may well be right. Time will tell.

I think that Oakwood "opening this summer" sign has been up for two or three years. I hope nobody has actually paid for a promised mooring. The picture of the flash is identical to one taken last year.

I presume you mean Uplands Marina at Anderton (formally Travel Reign) rather than Anderton itself.This is the same 7*3+1 feet between the jettys, which is enough to have a boat each side and an 8ft access way down the middle. Which actually works really well and gives good boat density. The jetties are narrow, but as long as the is a boat one side or the other totally fine.Daniel

Entertaining getting in or out if it's windy though. On one occasion I underestimated the turn into the jetty and proceeded gently sideways onto the diesel berth, and on another I ended up broadside across the end of the jetties!

I think that Oakwood "opening this summer" sign has been up for two or three years. I hope nobody has actually paid for a promised mooring. The picture of the flash is identical to one taken last year.

But the web site is fresh copyright 2015 and says summer 2015

• 1 month later...

Hi. The Marina that is being built in the flashes is called "Oakwood Marina" and the one on the opposite side which is going to be flooded next month (August) is called "Park Farm Marina)

It's going to take some filling, it looks massive and the jetties look endlessly long. Still, there's plenty of water comes down that way. Maybe for a while there will be less of a torrent into the Weaver at Anderton.

There is absolutely nothing at all happening at the one on the flash unless something has started in the last week.

Remember this about 5 years ago, spoke to Dave Massey then , who told me about the new marina opening and offered me a mooring at a reduced rate for the first twelve months. Good job i didnt take him up on his offer !

• 4 months later...

It could just be the camera angle but those pontoons looked to have been designed by and laid out by someone who knows nothing about boats rolleyes.gif

I've seen it (in the flesh so to speak). I don't think there's anything particularly odd about the layout. Its the style where the pontoons are long and accommodate many boats, with a bit over 3 boats width between each (similar to eg Uploands marina). Also bear in mind that while its filling, there are dry areas which will be covered with an adequate depth of water.