New Marina Site near Northwich

kienik

Featured Posts

Evening All

After spending the day with a friend on his NB moving it from Middlewich to Anderton Boat Lift, i have a question.

upon heading towards Orchard Marina we noticed a field being dug out and sign posts saying that a marina will be built at the site, i made a note of the signage name but for the life of me cant remember what it was called and as to the exact location, all i remember is that it was between Rudheath and Orchard Marina, it IIRC was somewhere near to where the sunken historic NB is located but cant remember the exact place.

the excavators were indeed pressing on with the development and the land had been extensively dug out but not yet ready for connection to the main line.

Does anyone know what the new marina is going to be called or shed any light on the exact location.

Thanks

Nik

Thanks for the reply

I just spoke to a friend who confirms it is near to the Billinge Flash area, we saw it being dug out only a few weeks ago and it is not on the flashes but seems to be on a farmers field, it is on the opposite side of the cut to the flashes so it is anyones guess, anyone have any more info

Nik

Found this on the "I.W.A" website, it was dated June 2006 but I believe it still to be the case.

Trent & Mersey Canal

At its meeting on 16th May, the planning committee at Vale Royal Borough Council, with one abstention, voted unanimously to reject the application from Ripple Developments to construct a marina in Billinge Green Flash. IWA’s Chester & District Branch had lobbied strongly against the application. A decision on the Park Farm marina, which is proposed for the towing path side of the canal in the same area was deferred. The developer, Travelreign, has amended its plans, halving the size of the marina, and a consultation period on this development was extended to 24th May.

Les.

Carl, I didn't know that the water around there was any different than locally.

I live about 1/2 a mile away from this site and have seen it on passing and standing on top of the boat, I can see it has been dug very deep, maybe 10 feet or so it seems looking from the canal.

I have searched the net for info but can't find anything definite on completion dates or anything else, I will have to have a walk up there and check out the sign which must have only just been erected.

Thanks for the reply

I just spoke to a friend who confirms it is near to the Billinge Flash area, we saw it being dug out only a few weeks ago and it is not on the flashes but seems to be on a farmers field, it is on the opposite side of the cut to the flashes so it is anyones guess, anyone have any more info

Nik

I just hope that the flashes are left alone.

Steve

Found this on the "I.W.A" website, it was dated June 2006 but I believe it still to be the case.

Trent & Mersey Canal

At its meeting on 16th May, the planning committee at Vale Royal Borough Council, with one abstention, voted unanimously to reject the application from Ripple Developments to construct a marina in Billinge Green Flash. IWA’s Chester & District Branch had lobbied strongly against the application. A decision on the Park Farm marina, which is proposed for the towing path side of the canal in the same area was deferred. The developer, Travelreign, has amended its plans, halving the size of the marina, and a consultation period on this development was extended to 24th May.

Les.

I made an independent objection to Vale Royal Planning Dept to the flash development in the small flash where the "half boat" is located. I did not know there was a development on the towing path side which must have had approval, there are smaller flashes here popular with fishermen that are not so clear to see because of trees but I thought there was not much land here between the canal and the railway line to build much of a marina

Charles

Here's the full planning application (seek and ye shall find!)

http://pa.valeroyal....o=JJKM20QP00E00

I'm not familiar with this application but having read the thread I think this is the proposal that was refused. The location plan shows it taking in one of the flashes and on the off-side rather than the towpath side. Or is this where it is actually going?

The proposal to use one of the flashes to base a new marina in, and the ammended proposal which was for it to be based on the land behind from the towpath side was rejected due to a number of complains, one of them being mine due to otters living in the flashes.

This new proposal is for the land opposite Orchard Marins between Middlewich and Anderton to be turned into a Marina. However I think the spare land which is currently owned by Tescos would be better, it would then just be a case of extending the existing marina instead of building a completely new one.

I'm not familiar with this application but having read the thread I think this is the proposal that was refused. The location plan shows it taking in one of the flashes and on the off-side rather than the towpath side. Or is this where it is actually going?

It does say 'Application approved' (?)...and this is the re-submitted application.

here's the one that was refused:

http://pa.valeroyal.gov.uk/PublicAccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=IUZPS9QP90000

Edited by Québec

• 2 years later...

This is just from an uncorroborated source but it may also explain the depth.

The soil is very high quality clay and is being sold for use in clay related "stuff manufacturing".

Prob need an inclined plane to get from the marina to the canal by the time the developers have milked the cash cow they seem to have stumbled across..

Edited by sam pig

This is just from an uncorroborated source but it may also explain the depth.

The soil is very high quality clay and is being sold for use in clay related "stuff manufacturing".

Prob need an inclined plane to get from the marina to the canal by the time the developers have milked the cash cow they seem to have stumbled across..

The piling for the pontoons should be impressive. I wonder if C&RT charge by the litre for filling the pond.

• 6 months later...

The piling for the pontoons should be impressive. I wonder if C&RT charge by the litre for filling the pond.

Pilings/pontoons look to be well advanced in towpath side marina site! Also signs of work on the flash site construction Road in to water side construction compound at top of field and survey pegs all over field!

• 3 weeks later...

Rumour has it that it's Dave Massey's project, previously uplands, now at wincham wharf. We watch developments with interest. It would be good to see the plans.

called Higgins farm, davenham road, rudheath

http://pa.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=L847HRQP0DZ00

can't get docs to open properly

Edited by sueanddaren