Composting Lavatoirs

Bones

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, rasputin said:

One guy buried it in a friendly farmer's field or took it to his friends compost heap, neither seem to me to be a great solution for most folk. 

Assuming you stay near either the field or the friend both seem an acceptable solution to me.  That is of course if you have kept it on board long enough for it to have genuinely turned to compost and there are no signs of any waste which is not fully composted.

The problems I see are many aren't happy with the thought of "storing" waste in a tank under the bed so where do you put 3 large buckets of the stuff while it composts.

I am also doubtful about what CCers do.  Yes I know that the authorities may say bag up and bin is acceptable but I am afraid I am with Haggis on this one- disgusting.  I am also not completely convinced that everybody will do the right thing and keep it in the buckets until it is fully composted before binning it.

I am with WotEver as well on some clear honest answers to what people do with the various wastes, how long they have kept it etc would be very welcome.

24 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Hi Frank,

One of the composting converts where we moor bought a thousand pound composter that does everything, including rotating the bucket a quarter turn and flicking back a 'modesty' hatch (so you can't see the deposits) using the weight applied to the loo seat when one sits down. She is, I understand, pleased with it, but the seat activated mechanism has failed, so the build quality can't be great.

We didn't know if we would like 'composting' or even if it would work, so I bought a urine separator, a bucket, a computer fan with some ducting and built a box in which to house it. The parts are readily available from ebay and excellent instructions can be found on the littlehouse Web site. About £100 plus the box, which can be as fancy or otherwise as you like. Mine is tongue and groove pine, but I have seen simple plywood and very smart varnished oak. My advice is to spend as little as possible to see if it is for you.

Don't listen to the converts or the doubters, make up your own mind.

My Seperate Villa is now 6 years old and still in great condition and was less than £500 when bought new, I have to say you are wasting your time talking to the dinosaurs, you will never get them to see your point of view. For myself I watch them struggling with their cassettes down to the elsan and as the years have gone by the trips are more frequent and slower. Whereas for you and me its not an issue at all. The complaints about the urine is a joke as dogs wee everywhere as we all know, its just that people on here wear blinkers and only see what they want to see. So for myself I now just look and laugh because it aint my problem its theirs

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

My Seperate Villa is now 6 years old and still in great condition and was less than £500 when bought new

<snip>

Blimey , I didn't know you needed a separate Villa to store all that shit. Definitely not for me:)

On a more serious note. My method is to talk to it for 3 hours every evening, and two every morning. This "bores the shit out of it", it can then be safely disposed of. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

<snip>

On a more serious note. My method is to talk to it for 3 hours every evening, and two every morning. This "bores the shit out of it", it can then be safely disposed of. 

Now that was funny. :D:lol:

On 04/01/2006 at 11:40, bottle said:

Here you go composting loo. I believe whilton marine Whilton on line are agents

enough said

btw, my plan [ok i have never been on a narowboat on the GU],  is to crap once a day, at the pub, clever, eh? NO way am I  going to store my own shit if I can help it. And I like beer, so will keep my cassette in "hygiene" mode!

Edited by LadyG

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

enough said

btw, my plan [ok i have never been on a narowboat on the GU],  is to crap once a day, at the pub, clever, eh? NO way am I  going to store my own shit if I can help it. And I like beer, so will keep my cassette in "hygiene" mode!

Im glad you can plan your craps around pub opening times. Its a skill I wish I had. 

Note to self. Must get out more. Stop talking to strangers about their pooing habits. 

Edited by rusty69

Just now, rusty69 said:

Im glad you can plan your craps around pub opening times. Its a skill I wish I had. 

I assumed everyone can do it, not always 100% reliable, but, yes, as long as they open at 11.00 am!

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Assuming you stay near either the field or the friend both seem an acceptable solution to me.  That is of course if you have kept it on board long enough for it to have genuinely turned to compost and there are no signs of any waste which is not fully composted.

problems I see are many aren't happy with the thought of "storing" waste in a tank under the bed so where do you put 3 large buckets of the stuff while it composts.

I am also doubtful about what CCers do.  Yes I know that the authorities may say bag up and bin is acceptable but I am afraid I am with Haggis on this one- disgusting.  I am also not completely convinced that everybody will do the right thing and keep it in the buckets until it is fully composted before binning it.

I am with WotEver as well on some clear honest answers to what people do with the various wastes, how long they have kept it etc would be very welcome.

I don’t follow this “huge volumes of shit” argument. I give you these figures and invite you to pull them apart.

If I give up a third of my forward hold I can fit a plastic kitchen bin measuring 34cm x 34cm x 100cm in it (I have one there at the moment).

This has an internal volume of say 100,000 cc.

The average volume of a persons stool is 130 cc per day (**). Add to this, a further 130 cc of coconut fibre (or whatever).

So even if there is no volume loss while in the toilet (unlikely given that there is a constant air draft and stool is 90% water) the total daily volume of “product’ will be  260 cc per person per day.

Therefore my kitchen bin can hold 380 days worth of product.

Frank

** Stool patterns of healthy adult males by Robert C Rendtorff Sc, D, M.D. and Mark Kashgarian M.D.  Tennessee College of Medicine.

Edited by frahkn
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Publican. Morning

LadyG. Morning

Publican. What'll it be then

LadyG. Give me five minutes, just want to use your crapper. Glad you open on time. 

I guess I might be more subtle, slap a fiver on the bar,  ask for a  pint of the local most obscure CAMRA stuff and go for a wander., he won't even notice.

• Haha 1

Hi Haggis,

Your nappy sack concern is unfounded, as my post simply said that the lightly soiled loo paper was put into the sacks and then into the bin. When you think what usually goes into a nappy sack (YUCK!) it is nowhere near as bad.

Perhaps you, in your time, have had babies or possibly grandchildren. Since you are so disgusted by binning lightly soiled loo paper, I wonder what your family does (if you have children) with its gooey pungent soiled disposable nappies. Might you possibly bin them? 

Councils now insist that nappies and incontinence pads are disposed of with household waste, so a tiny scented nappy sack with dry but lightly soiled loo paper in it won't be a problem and by comparison isn't anywhere near as disgusting.

1 hour ago, Bargebuilder said:

Hi Haggis,

Your nappy sack concern is unfounded, as my post simply said that the lightly soiled loo paper was put into the sacks and then into the bin. When you think what usually goes into a nappy sack (YUCK!) it is nowhere near as bad.

Perhaps you, in your time, have had babies or possibly grandchildren. Since you are so disgusted by binning lightly soiled loo paper, I wonder what your family does (if you have children) with its gooey pungent soiled disposable nappies. Might you possibly bin them? 

Councils now insist that nappies and incontinence pads are disposed of with household waste, so a tiny scented nappy sack with dry but lightly soiled loo paper in it won't be a problem and by comparison isn't anywhere near as disgusting.

I was not referring to loo paper in nappy sacks but poo. Or do you not put it in nappy sacks but just empty your container of partially composted s*** straight into the wheelie bin?

Haggis 

4 hours ago, frahkn said:

I don’t follow this “huge volumes of shit” argument. I give you these figures and invite you to pull them apart.

If I give up a third of my forward hold I can fit a plastic kitchen bin measuring 34cm x 34cm x 100cm in it (I have one there at the moment).

This has an internal volume of say 100,000 cc.

The average volume of a persons stool is 130 cc per day (**). Add to this, a further 130 cc of coconut fibre (or whatever).

So even if there is no volume loss while in the toilet (unlikely given that there is a constant air draft and stool is 90% water) the total daily volume of “product’ will be  260 cc per person per day.

Therefore my kitchen bin can hold 380 days worth of product.

Frank

** Stool patterns of healthy adult males by Robert C Rendtorff Sc, D, M.D. and Mark Kashgarian M.D.  Tennessee College of Medicine.

Point of order M'lud.   I have no recollection of saying “huge volumes of shit” so why put it in quotation marks.  If I did please quote the post number.

You can't argue that many are not happy with the idea of storing waste out of the way hidden in a sealed tank, if they aren't happy with that I can't imagi9ne them being happy with buckets they have to store and move around can you?

Haggis,

"I'm not suggesting that I do or that anyone should" (bin composted toilet waste)...........  This was what I actually wrote. 

You obviously haven't seen or smelt composted human manure, it is very much like composted horse manure and no less pleasant to dig into the soil, but not laced with tetanus as horse and cow manure often is.

Once again, let's stick to facts and first hand experience.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

No "sensible" reasons for having a composting loo seems a bit harsh! How about:

4. Requires you to store two small lidded buckets (10Kg each) of maturing compost that doesn't smell, instead of hundreds of litres of the most foul smelling slurry.

I'm struggling with this bit. 

Assuming there are two of you on the boat, do your really only dump out 20kg of shit between the both of you every six months?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Assuming there are two of you on the boat, do your really only dump out 20kg of shit between the both of you every six months?

Perhaps they "Go" elsewhere.....like just crapping directly on the field/towpath/gutter rather than storing it for a while first?? 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that the dehydrated weight, or fully loaded? 

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dunno, ask Mr Bargebuilder who made the claim.

Its a bit odd to weigh it anyway init? 

Unless you can weigh it in like a used battery perhaps £1/kg

Edited by rusty69