A thank you to this forum

Dominic M

Featured Posts

I too vote for the donation to go to Dan for the upkeep of the Forum (and how about a round of drinks for the moderators too?).

I must say it was highly refreshing to read Dominic's offer; in this age when everybody seems to be holding on to every penny that they possibly can, this stands out as a shining example.

I've had a chat with the Queen of Tarts currently hors d'action in a delightful rest home for elderly Queens she persists in calling Balmoral.

Queenie thinks that if Dominic is unwilling to contribute to her costs - and, I as I pointed out to her that she's not actually a charity ('really, that's not what that Nobber said the other night") - he should pay Daniel the "doble nifty". Dan can then negotiate with her for site payment fee. Although Queenie did clearly that she'd never ever heard of anyone actually paying for a site host and said that he should clearly consider whether payment in kind was sufficient. Apparently "it's always worked for me, dearie".

Right, off to paint now ....

Agreed. As long as you don't claim your own expenses :lol:

No, as i said, i am not planning to take any money myself for my time or otherwise making any profit from it.

Clearly the forum relies heavly on the time given by the site crew, yourself included, and my thanks goes out to all the moderators who work to make the forum what it is.

Daniel

I too would support the money going to fund the forums.

However, I would just sound a couple of notes of caution for the future;

Firstly, Jon and now Dan have always had the option of saying "the forum is my personal sandpit that I allow you into, and reserve the right to not let anybody in for any (or no) reason". Accepting donations has the capacity to change that dynamic.

Secondly, if people want to donate towards the costs, then that is all to the good. However, it would be best if donations were anonymous. After all, we wouldn't want a situation where I could bung Dan £100, then swan around saying "you can't tell me how to behave, I pay the bills".

I too would support the money going to fund the forums.

However, I would just sound a couple of notes of caution for the future;

Firstly, Jon and now Dan have always had the option of saying "the forum is my personal sandpit that I allow you into, and reserve the right to not let anybody in for any (or no) reason". Accepting donations has the capacity to change that dynamic.

Secondly, if people want to donate towards the costs, then that is all to the good. However, it would be best if donations were anonymous. After all, we wouldn't want a situation where I could bung Dan £100, then swan around saying "you can't tell me how to behave, I pay the bills".

I agree totally, and interestingly these are the concerns of another forum I am a member and now treasurer of.

@Dan if you do go down the accepting donations route and want to keep everything squeeky clean and transparent then you may want to open a bank account for the purpose. If this is the case then the Co-op do a free banking service (Commmunity account) which would also allow you to nominate other members of staff access to, even if it only for transparancy purposes and protecting yourself from any future possible accusations.

Edit: I might point out that the other forum is a community run forum with no one owner which is why we have a treasurer.

Edited by imnogeek

I agree totally with the donation going to Dan.

Good point Dave. I wouldn't like to see this forum going down the donation/paid membership route, with privileges granted to paying members that aren't available to everyone else, as has happened on one of the photography forums that I used to use, but I would like a way to be able to contribute in some small part to the running costs of the forum, perhaps with no-strings attached anonymous donations?

The site's getting bigger each day, and with that must come increased running costs.

Janet

Just checking in to see how this is going, and picking up on this post in particular.

I wouldn't expect or want any favourable treatment from the site owner if, as seems likely, the donation goes to the cost of running the site. As it happens I have never received a warning from a moderator on CWDF (feeling a bit left out actually :lol: ), but I would not want to be anything other than a contributor, bringing a healthy admixture of wisdom, advice and complete bullshit to this forum as I have done for several years now.

Rose digs inside her delighful little duck egg blue Gucci clutch bag, moves the JCB to one side a little to make more room for the life size model of a Zeppelin and squints down into the very corner of the gorgeous blue sateen lining because she thought for a moment that she had spotted a woolly mammoth lurking in there. With a slight hint of relief she fastens the clasp and announces

"sorry no room for any more in my bag so perhaps I could possibly ask Dan to look after it for me"

Rose digs inside her delighful little duck egg blue Gucci clutch bag, moves the JCB to one side a little to make more room for the life size model of a Zeppelin and squints down into the very corner of the gorgeous blue sateen lining because she thought for a moment that she had spotted a woolly mammoth lurking in there. With a slight hint of relief she fastens the clasp and announces

"sorry no room for any more in my bag so perhaps I could possibly ask Dan to look after it for me"

Jan, with a JCB in there, is that lining still in a fit state to be able to determine the colour?

Both of these are things that i have considered.

Im not sure what the effect on the first will be be, clearly they are voluntary donations, you can get a refund, and your not paying for anything.

Further more, im not 100% how much thats the case even now, maybe it is, maybe not. However clearly it may or maybe not effect something.

The second issue i agree with muchly. It has been mooted 'you could just use paypal' which would indeed propberbly the easiest way to deal with it (i could just set up a account in the name of donations@canalworld.net or somthing) however this wouldnt be anomous to those dealing with the accounts (aka, properbly me) and hence damage my impartciality. Hence im more inclied to use a site more like the 'just giving' site where donations can be 100% anonomas to all, although clearly a site would have to be choisen that was suitable userfreindly and accpeted a suitably wide range of payment options etc.

These sort of reasons are why to date ive declinded donations, however, both the software and hosting fee's well need paying in time at it would clearly be nice to have it sorted by then as well as potentally to have some float to put other ideas such as t'shirts into motion and make them a reality also.

Daniel