Best Canal Boat Mag

Gobbledygook

Featured Posts

There is - and has been for the 10 or so years I've been working on waterway magazines - a desperate shortage of people willing and able to write (and photograph) cogently about practical boating matters for the inland market. I would be absolutely delighted to hear from anyone who thinks they might be able to do it.

While on the other hand there are probably hundreds of canal charities and trusts that would also dearly love to receive quality copy.

The idea of 500-600 words as a project might make a good competition for WW, with the winner receiving a free 56' trad boat or a year's free subscription to WW. Runner up would get a Thames lock-keeper's cottage and two-year's subscription. Consolation prizes could be used to move WW's stock of their in-house waterways guides.

The idea of 500-600 words as a project might make a good competition for WW, with the winner receiving a free 56' trad boat or a year's free subscription to WW. Runner up would get a Thames lock-keeper's cottage and two-year's subscription. Consolation prizes could be used to move WW's stock of their in-house waterways guides.

Harsh....but funny.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...
On 22/06/2008 at 13:38, Gobbledygook said:

What is the best magazine, that covers a wide spectrum and is the most informative ?

Don’t bother with a mag.  CanalWorld Discussion Forum is all you need.  The advice is free, non-judgemental, unbiased and accurate beyond reproach!  Oh, hang on a minute...

...yeh, on second thoughts Waterways World is probably a better bet! 

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Don’t bother with a mag.  CanalWorld Discussion Forum is all you need.  The advice is free, non-judgemental, unbiased and accurate beyond reproach!  Oh, hang on a minute...

...yeh, on second thoughts Waterways World is probably a better bet! 

You did notice you are replying to a post from June 2008 I assume?  There are a lot of back issues since then!

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

When did @rusty69 die?

@Alan de Enfield has promised sold me pictures of that wetsuit via private messages, and whilst I am quite broad minded I am not into snuff.

'Rights' to the use of the picture of @rusty69 efforts to make a gas powered motorcycle are still available to the highest bidder :

Motorbike Beans.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

43 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

. Waste of money buying new ones as there has been very little new published in them during  this century.

Though ostensibly a cynical view, this has some truth in it, as we have noticed over some 20 years of subscribing to both the major ones. For example, most issues will have a "cruising guide" feature, focussing upon the appeal and facilities of a particular canal or stretch of canal. But there are only so many canals to write about, so for example the G.U. South will come round again every few years, with not much new to say except perhaps that the lovely old 'Dog & Fleas' pub has become a private house or a nail-painting parlour.

• 4 weeks later...