Replacement "glass" for Frank W Murphy gauges

Featured Posts

Photo might be useful, but assuming its round and not any special glass, I'd have thought a decent glazier would be able to cut it for you??

Edited by Quattrodave

I don't think it would show up in a photo but the glass is slightly convex. 

It is of course circular but I doubt that a glazier would have the blanks.

The FWM web site does not appear to supply spare glasses and the cost of new gauges is prohibitive.

10 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I don't think it would show up in a photo but the glass is slightly convex. 

The FWM web site does not appear to supply spare glasses and the cost of new gauges is prohibitive.

Does it absolutely have to be convex? If not then you could probably cut your own from thin perspex. It might even be possible to make a jig up so you can soften the perspex in an oven and the draw the centre down into the ring using a vacuum and let it cool and harden. If you clamped the perspex between two disks, one with a base, you may be able to force the perspex upwards with air pressure. Just thoughts, but making the rings may take a bit of effort.

There are also companies that offer gauge repairs, have a Google to see if there is a local one.

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Does it absolutely have to be convex? If not then you could probably cut your own from thin perspex. It might even be possible to make a jig up so you can soften the perspex in an oven and the draw the centre down into the ring using a vacuum and let it cool and harden. If you clamped the perspex between two disks, one with a base, you may be able to force the perspex upwards with air pressure. Just thoughts, but making the rings may take a bit of effort.

There are also companies that offer gauge repairs, have a Google to see if there is a local one.

I have shaped perspex in a domestic oven by just laying it on top of a former, once hot it sat down onto the former under its own weight, but it was a bigger piece, about 12" square, so had a bit more weight to it.

...and not a compound curve so less defoarmation force needed, but still maybe worth a try.

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

I have shaped perspex in a domestic oven by just laying it on top of a former, once hot it sat down onto the former under its own weight, but it was a bigger piece, about 12" square, so had a bit more weight to it.

...and not a compound curve so less defoarmation force needed, but still maybe worth a try.

Especially if the OP can find something like a darning mushroom or cabbage presser that has a convex face that they can weigh and put in the perspex over the former.

Personally, I would cut an oversized disc and then  trim to size once cooled.

Tony and Tracy,  honestly, thank you for making the effort to provide such detailed and interesting replies.

I am sure there is someone out there who will be happy to use this method to make all their gauge repairs in future.

Unfortunately (through no fault of either of you - of course) it won't be me!!  I just want to replace my slightly crazed glass so as not to have to buy new gauges.

Are the gauge glasses broken, or just scuffed? If the latter, then toothpaste, followed by Brasso can be used to polish out the scratches in plastic glasses. I've had success with this on VDO gauges.

They are not broken but they are much more than scuffed.  They are probably 21 years old and are crazed, perhaps from UV in sunlight - they may be perspex - in any event they need changing.

2 hours ago, frahkn said:

A few guages out there that aren't  circular...  Anyway, blanks? Ive had circular windows and mirrors cut by in the past by a decent glazier if it doesnt 'need' to be convex...

Out of interest what sort of size are we talking??

Edited by Quattrodave

One is 100mm in diameter and the other 3 are 55mm. This is the gauge diameter, the glass will be a few mils less.

I haven't had one apart yet so I'm not sure if flat glass would give enough clearance.

Might be worth giving one a quick going over with Brasso, just to see if it makes any difference. The ones I did looked crazed, but it was just surface scratches that easily buffed out. What have you got to lose? If yours is a shiny boat, then Brasso you'll have already. If not, go chat to the owner of your nearest shiny boat!

If not, then there are companies that restore classic car instruments who may be able to help. The diameters you give are standard ones for individual instruments. One I know of is https://www.speedycables.com/.

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

They are not broken but they are much more than scuffed.  They are probably 21 years old and are crazed, perhaps from UV in sunlight - they may be perspex - in any event they need changing.

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Might be worth giving one a quick going over with Brasso, just to see if it makes any difference. What have you got to lose? If yours is a shiny boat, then Brasso you'll have already. If not, go chat to the owner of your nearest shiny boat!

If not, then there are companies that restore classic car instruments who may be able to help. The diameters you give are standard ones for individual instruments. One I know of is https://www.speedycables.com/.

There are loads, which is why I suggested he Google for a local one. That is what I would do.

5 hours ago, frahkn said:

Where can I find glass/perspex replacements for my gauges?   Looking online is rather confusing!

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

There are loads, which is why I suggested he Google for a local one. That is what I would do.

image.thumb.png.e5a551a901e54439a6a9e2a3789b49ae.png

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

One I know of is https://www.speedycables.com/.

They used to be at the top end of Britannia Row I used to work at 35 just down from them, thought they had gone didn't realise they still existed. In the day they were my go to company for Speedo cables😉

24 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Just Google 'watch glasses'.  They are a standard scientific item.  Lots of results.

Spot on.  👍
Add the diameter and it’ll narrow it down nicely for you and the added bonus that it’ll be glass not plastic. EBay. Amazon. All the usual suspects. Cheap as chips too. 

Alternatively buy a cheap old knackered gauge and take the glass out.  Hardly worth the effort though. 

Edited by truckcab79

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Could try a headlight renovation kit to try polishing the scratches out.

Probably cost more than new glass and sounds more like old crazed plastic than the sort of hazing that can be polished. 

6 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Probably cost more than new glass and sounds more like old crazed plastic than the sort of hazing that can be polished. 

I used a kit that cost less than £15 to take some bad scratching out of a perspex panel used in our centre doors.

22 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Could try a headlight renovation kit to try polishing the scratches out.

I've always found rubbing with toothpaste, followed by polishing with Brasso to be just as effective and if you already have them, cheaper.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

I've always found rubbing with toothpaste, followed by polishing with Brasso to be just as effective and if you already have them, cheaper.

Some pics would be useful but the typical crazing described on old plastic can’t be polished out. That aside they’re available new for almost less money than toothpaste. I love to restore stuff but sometimes it’s just not worth it. 

11 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

Some pics would be useful but the typical crazing described on old plastic can’t be polished out. That aside they’re available new for almost less money than toothpaste. I love to restore stuff but sometimes it’s just not worth it. 

Where from?

I already have toothpaste (and Brasso somewhere but not much used).

5 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Where from?

I already have toothpaste (and Brasso somewhere but not much used).

Brian showed you an EBay add, have you not Googled it yet?

Put "Convex clock glass" (no inverted commas) into the Google search box and hit enter.