Cost benefit analysis - coal vs logs.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would you be kind enough to provide a link as it doesn't seem to exist as you have written it.

"Computer says no - MtB may have made a typo"

Screenshot (2456).png

Let down by the forum software. It was a joke. Its a non-existent URL. Previous versions would have made it a clickable link which adds credibility. 

www.nit-pickers-r-us.com 

Nope. Looks like the forum software actually checks URLs now!! 

nit-pickers-r-us.com

Ah, that works though! 

5 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Hope you get your money back. 💰😁

Too late now, they assured me I would be refunded, and an hour later they closed the yard for the Bank Holiday, fortunately i phoned them again before  i set off.

I tried   burning one after partially drying it out, it seems to be exploding!

Im stuck with them as i will be moving to the next waterpoint asap, lol.

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Too late now, they assured me I would be refunded, and an hour later they closed the yard for the Bank Holiday, fortunately i phoned them again before  i set off.

I tried   burning one after partially drying it out, it seems to be exploding!

Im stuck with them as i will be moving to the next waterpoint asap, lol.

If you use an oven to bake pop a few in it at the same time. I sometimes do it. 

One advantage of wood is that it is possible to collect your own, and you can purchase it in white builders bags at a much better price. Depending on storage space available, a mix of coal and wood is probably most economic and useful. 

I don't have any storage space on land and the Boats arrr quite small but if I did I would be very tempted by the offer on eBay by a heritage rail organisation for 850kg of South African steam coal for £384. That would be very nice. 

Do like real coal. I know it is a bit dirty but it seems like a real fire whereas the dusty less smoke types are a bit clinical and boring. And dusty !  

They say they can pallet deliver for extra cost. 

If it ended up being £425 for the sake of argument thats £0.50 per kilo which is rather good. 

I'd have that. 

Is there any difference to the life expectancy of the stove, flue or chimney with burning coal, or wet or dried wood?  

Presumably the smoke from wet wood has more steam, so will that cause more rust potential? Burning wet wood is certainly noticeably more smokey often quite an amount that seems more prone to making eyes water. I believe conifers will burn with a different amount of residues to say ash? Conifers certainly seem more likely to crackling in fires, is that ever harmful to stoves? 

Whenever I have burnt birch it produces a lot of think acrid black smoke which struck me as being unhelpful for the durability of the system as it coated the chimney with the stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Is there any difference to the life expectancy of the stove, flue or chimney with burning coal, or wet or dried wood?  

Presumably the smoke from wet wood has more steam, so will that cause more rust potential? Burning wet wood is certainly noticeably more smokey often quite an amount that seems more prone to making eyes water. I believe conifers will burn with a different amount of residues to say ash? Conifers certainly seem more likely to crackling in fires, is that ever harmful to stoves? 

Whenever I have burnt birch it produces a lot of think acrid black smoke which struck me as being unhelpful for the durability of the system as it coated the chimney with the stuff. 

Unseasoned timber will burn poorly with a very uncomplete combustion, this produces more tar and acidic combustion residue, this is bad for the stove and will reduce the life of the stove.

Wet wood as in seasoned wood recently rained on isn't really an issue.

Birch is a good firewood, if you are experiencing lots of black acrid smoke it's either unseasoned or your doing something wrong.

Properly seasoned conifer is a perfectly good firewood

Although not a liveaboard, in several years of cruising all over the country between March and October, and stays on the boat in winter, I never failed to find a sufficient supply of dry wood, either fallen or (preferably) standing dead.  I was fortunate in my winter mooring at Sowerby Bridge, in that the Calder & Hebble seemed to have plentiful resources of suitable firewood, although I did manage to find enough in most other areas as well.

It did involve a constant lookout for firewood, but that became (and still is at home) second nature.

On the boat and here at home:

Wood.jpg

Woodpile prayer flags.jpg

Edited by Mac of Cygnet