Diagonal on the HNC

Featured Posts

From the latest CRT notice about the numerous obstacles to navigating the HNC:

Huddersfield Narrow Canal Marsden Flight Information

Boaters wishing to pass through the Huddersfield Narrow Canal are restricted to 57ft in length (Narrowboats of no more than 60ft in length can pass through diagonally)

Depends on your definition of "pass through", I suppose.

If your boat doesn't fit off the far end you can't pass through on a journey to somewhere else, only visit the canal for its own sake.

It seems silly but so many people on Facebook are apparently unable to read a map without being spoon-fed, I'm sure they're seeing long boats turn up at Marsden on their way to Leeds or wherever.

Edited by Francis Herne

15 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

From the latest CRT notice about the numerous obstacles to navigating the HNC:

Huddersfield Narrow Canal Marsden Flight Information

Boaters wishing to pass through the Huddersfield Narrow Canal are restricted to 57ft in length (Narrowboats of no more than 60ft in length can pass through diagonally)

How does a narrowboat in a narrow lock pass through diagonally?

Wide locks on the Calder & Hebble I can understand (and can confirm you can get a 60' boat through with care), but the HNC? Huh?

Maybe they just copied the notice over without checking... 😉 

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

How does a narrowboat in a narrow lock pass through diagonally?

It's not totally unheard of: on a couple of short BCN locks with single bottom gates, a 71'6" GU motor needs to be wedged in (slightly) diagonally to clear the gate.

Of course those are relatively wide for narrow locks where as Marsden notoriously aren't!

1 minute ago, Francis Herne said:

It's not totally unheard of: on a couple of short BCN locks with single bottom gates, a 71'6" GU motor needs to be wedged in (slightly) diagonally to clear the gate.

Of course those are relatively wide for narrow locks where as Marsden notoriously aren't!

And in a narrow lock it might make at most a few inches difference, certainly not 2'6" (57'6" vs. 60') like on the C&H...

Just now, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

But the Marsden flight locks are 70’ and more ?

Its the broad locks that are short?

I bet somebody's mistakenly copied the notice over from the C&H without checking. Has anyone checked with CRT?

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

I bet somebody's mistakenly copied the notice over from the C&H without checking. Has anyone checked with CRT?

This ^^^^

And easy enough to do in error even if you know what you're talking about - a colleague of several years ago based his bid for consultancy work in Dublin on a similar bid he'd done in Stockholm - after many checks to make sure there were no references to Swedish places and policies he sent the bid out, with the price in Króna....

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

I have not yet checked, having only just seen the notice, but I guessed it relates to the Broad Canal which almost all boats wanting to pass through the tunnel, will have to negotiate. We have done it in both our 60ft boats.

57 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I have not yet checked, having only just seen the notice, but I guessed it relates to the Broad Canal which almost all boats wanting to pass through the tunnel, will have to negotiate. We have done it in both our 60ft boats.

Yes, they mean the Huddersfield Broad. The narrow will take full length narrowboats, but only accessible from the western end.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

... a colleague of several years ago based his bid for consultancy work in Dublin on a similar bid he'd done in Stockholm - after many checks to make sure there were no references to Swedish places and policies he sent the bid out, with the price in Króna....

A bid for several millions to develop a computer system was from ICL (it was in 1999) on behalf of a consortium which included ICL. They based their data-protection document on one used in an unrelated, earlier ICL bid.  ...

It included the word artconsortiume. ...

(Reverse-engineer it by replacing consortium by icl ...)

=======================================================

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, they mean the Huddersfield Broad. The narrow will take full length narrowboats.

But surely nobody of right mind would join a long-and-thin canal to a short-and-fat one ??

🙂

Edited by PeterScott
annoying merge of unrelated posts
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

But surely nobody of right mind would join a long-and-thin canal to a short-and-fat one ?? 🙂

That would be bonkers, right enough. Perhaps the CaRT notice is correct after all?

😀

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Someone with a short-and-thin boat might! 

Something about 57' long and 6'10" beam perhaps? Don't think any one has built something like that. There wouldn't be any demand for them.

12 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

But surely nobody of right mind would join a long-and-thin canal to a short-and-fat one ??

Nobody in their right mind would build a narrow canal, never mind join it to a sensible width one!

• Greenie 1

Eh up, peeps are coming up out of hibernation.

I'm still around, cc has proved possible over this winter, but hoping to crank it up now the daffodils are blooming.

Rock on.

Tx to Pete Biscuits and friends.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, PeterScott said:

It included the word artconsortiume. ...

(Reverse-engineer it by replacing consortium by icl ...)

I knew someone who submitted a draft document for a project in Liverpool, which was strongly based on a similar previous project they had done in Manchester. Unfortunately, the search-and-replace failed to substitute for the one misspelled instance of 'Manchester'. The Liverpool client was not amused!

9 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, they mean the Huddersfield Broad. The narrow will take full length narrowboats, but only accessible from the western end.

It’s also accessible from the Eastern end, once you’ve turned your 60+ footer  round at Aspley basin or earlier and gone back up again? 

Edited by Stroudwater1

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Nobody in their right mind would build a narrow canal, never mind join it to a sensible width one!

Same as for railways then... 😉 

4 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It’s also accessible from the Eastern end, once you’ve turned your 60+ footer  round at Aspley basin or earlier and gone back up again? 

I went a bit further and turned at the incinerator - I knew Ripple wouldn't fit the locks (she was 62 foot) but I hadn't factored in that canals with short locks have short winding holes too :o 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

That's a strange definition of "accessible" -- I think most people would take it to mean that you can get to the Eastern end of the HNC via the only canal which connects to it, which is the HBC, which has a 57' (or 60') length limit... 😉 

With your definition it's like having a "disabled" (yes, I know...) pub toilet where a wheelchair inside the toilet can get out through the door and down the corridor but not down the steps into the pub, so they have to turn round and go back into the toilet.

Not that I'm saying the HNC is like a toilet, it's actually rather lovely... 🙂 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

That's a strange definition of "accessible" -- I think most people would take it to mean that you can get to the Eastern end of the HNC via the only canal which connects to it, which is the HBC, which has a 57' (or 60') length limit... 😉 

With your definition it's like having a "disabled" (yes, I know...) pub toilet where a wheelchair inside the toilet can get out through the door and down the corridor but not down the steps into the pub, so they have to turn round and go back into the toilet.

Not that I'm saying the HNC is like a toilet, it's actually rather lovely... 🙂 

You can gain access from the Western side and by turning round gain access from the Eastern side. 

Seems to fit the definition of access? 

How would you say Leek tunnel is  accessed from the North East portal ? As you will possibly find out this year it’s only accessible the one way by turning round and heading straight back ? (It may not be accessible at all of course depending how low your boat sits. ) Same for Ghosty Hill. 

If you are desperate  you could turn round at Marsden and gain access faster. The journey down to Aspley is great too I agree.