Samsung Galaxy tablet

LadyG

Featured Posts

So, i bought this tablet direct from Samsung in January.

It has stopped working, I suspect it is not charging, i use the same usb and cable for my phone.

The only advice i can find is to take it to a shop.

I have poked ca pin in both reset holes. Im not sure if i should feel a click.

I have held power on button for 15 seconds

And power plus volume down for ten seconds.

Dead.

I just want a refund but cant i find how to get one.

I have found my invoice number.

Update.

Did all the faffing about, left it for half an hour, changed charger cable yet again, and its working.

It came with a dedicated cable and this seems to need to go in with the label showing on the tablet glass side, more faff......

Edited by LadyG
Update

6 minutes ago, pearley said:

You will need to take it send it to the original seller, in this case Samsung. So email them and ask them where to take/send it.

They dont want to know, all the buttons are how to buy products, no email that i can find.

Try a different cable and USB socket, these things can be very temperamental and fussy. I suspect its USB C? These have loads of little contacts inside and it only takes a bit of wear for it all to go wrong.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They dont want to know, all the buttons are how to buy products, no email that i can find.

Do you have a receipt or invoice, possibly by email? There will be customer service contact details on there.

Failing that........did you pay by credit card?

Check there's no muck in the charging port, blow into it and maybe probe carefully with a pin.

Try other cables.

Found this online (nb says volum up button, not volume down) .:

If you can’t find any problem on the charger, cable, and port, you can try this method. Although this method seems weird, but many users have reported that this method worked for them.  

Disconnect the charger from the Samsung tablet.    

Hold the power button and the volume up button for 30 seconds.    

Keep holding buttons while plugging in charger.    

Continue to hold buttons for another 30 seconds.    

Release power button only and keep volume button pressed still.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Try a different cable and USB socket, these things can be very temperamental and fussy. I suspect its USB C? These have loads of little contacts inside and it only takes a bit of wear for it all to go wrong.

If its USB C, the socket on the phone often gets fluff and dust in it. A wooden cocktail stick or better still soft plastic equivalent easily clears it out.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

You could try here.

https://samsungrepair.com/mobile-workshops?utm_source=adwords&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwnv-vBhBdEiwABCYQA3mwN_BcaBKB-3rWoygTiCjSJSsU7PKt7110x8-oZYSnLR1Gg4zvZRoCRmsQAvD_BwE

18 minutes ago, Paul C said:

A squirt with this would be best:

OB41  Electrical Contact Cleaner 400ml

That, and the non-metal prodder. 

Also, the "press power button to reset" thing can take what seems an age (over 30 seconds), as I found put recently on my laptop (which by the way has a USB C socket for external power).

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Also, the "press power button to reset" thing can take what seems an age (over 30 seconds), as I found put recently on my laptop (which by the way has a USB C socket for external power).

Same with my phone, I thought the phone was broken first time I let the battery go to flat

If the battery is completely flat, it may take a while on charge before it even shows it's charging, presumably because there isn't enough power to run the gubbins that lets it know the battery is flat. And if it's charging from a 12v car charger, it's not getting much current anyway.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

It is there somewhere, I've found it myself when I had a warranty claim, just a matter of searching.  Consider it training for all the hoops Samsung will have you jumping through prior to a repair being effected. A cyber tour of the  world awaits you. As for a Samsung retail outlet I fear your chances of finding one very slim.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ive got some contact cleaner, will try that,.

I did hold 

Power down for a long time.

But i think when i plug the cable in it usually makes a noise or 0%shows. And maybe a wee red light.

My phone comes up with a message, but that is when it is not empty.

Ill try to find another cable.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If it's absolutely stone dead, it won't make a noise or show 0% because there's no power to do it. Good luck.

Just so, its coming back to life now, on charge and it seems to be the cable that came with it is dedicated.

Find the Samsung complaints button rather than repair or warranty.

Or simply reject your purchase with the credit card company as "unfit for purpose"

Dedicated or desiccated?   I would hold off on the contact spray, some damage some plastics and if you have to return it; you may queer your pitch.

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Just so, its coming back to life now, on charge and it seems to be the cable that came with it is dedicated.

Excellent. Cables are weirdly important. I've got a Kobo reader that will charge ok with two cables but won't connect to the computer with either of them, but will with a third. And its wifi will connect via my phone hot-spot but not with the house WiFi. These things are designed with built in irritations.

USB C was a victory for the computer scientists and a defeat for the engineers, maybe a good idea but just too complicated to be reliable.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A that I did not use for some months, and when I tried to recommission it, I had exactly the same problem, to the point that I ordered another tablet. Within an hour, I got some life back in the Galaxy and fortunately was able to cancel the replacement.

One tip I would give is that when you have finished your session, hold the off button until you get the power off message. They seem to consume a fair bit of power doing nothing if the display just goes off.

I turn my tablet fully off overnight as I turn the router and inverter off as well which means the tablet, if left on, spends all night trying to find a wireless network to connect to.

Aha, I stopped turning the thing off manually as I assumed it went to sleep when the flap covered the screen, obviously not a good plan. 

34 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Aha, I stopped turning the thing off manually as I assumed it went to sleep when the flap covered the screen, obviously not a good plan. 

Some do. My old Lenovo tavlet did but an upgrade stopped that working. I now make sure the wifi is off when not in use and always turn the location off, as that uses loads of power. I use a widget on the home screen to turn the wifi off.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Excellent. Cables are weirdly important. I've got a Kobo reader that will charge ok with two cables but won't connect to the computer with either of them, but will with a third. And its wifi will connect via my phone hot-spot but not with the house WiFi. These things are designed with built in irritations.

Some cheap charging cables only have the power cables but not the data cables inside them.  can you connect anything else to the computer using those two cables?

The house wifi router might be blocking the connection if the wifi works via hotspot.  Or the house router might be set to only use a type of wifi the reader doesn't support.