Locked Chester basin?

Ewan123

Featured Posts

Does anyone know whether the locked swingbridge for this basin opposite Taylor's Boatyard can be opened with the usual BW key? I'd check myself but I'm only passing on foot and my key is on the boat out of town. I'm on a recce for mooring spaces but most out in the main basin are suspended/reserved for those travelling to the Ellesmere Port gathering later in the week.

There are no private/anti-mooring signs in there, loads of rings and a CRT sign instructing users to unlock the padlock of present to swing the bridge... so I'm optimistic!

20240323_113724.jpg

20240323_112537.jpg

20240323_112543.jpg

18 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

Does anyone know whether the locked swingbridge for this basin opposite Taylor's Boatyard can be opened with the usual BW key? I'd check myself but I'm only passing on foot and my key is on the boat out of town. I'm on a recce for mooring spaces but most out in the main basin are suspended/reserved for those travelling to the Ellesmere Port gathering later in the week.

There are no private/anti-mooring signs in there, loads of rings and a CRT sign instructing users to unlock the padlock of present to swing the bridge... so I'm optimistic!

20240323_113724.jpg

20240323_112537.jpg

20240323_112543.jpg

Best contact CART 

That looks like a CRT security padlock which will require a particular security level of key, different levels used for securing different things so that someone who has a key doesn't have access to all assets.

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

That looks like a CRT security padlock which will require a particular security level of key, different levels used for securing different things so that someone who has a key doesn't have access to all assets.

I shan't bank on it then, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Best contact CART 

I've not had much luck with similar types of specific queries before, the person on the other end often doesn't have easy access to much detailed info it can seem.

I've never seen any boats in that basin, but then have only visited Chester a few times.

I think the original plan for the buildings was that there would be shops where those arches are, and it would all be a "vibrant waterside shopping place", but for whatever reason this did not happen and now its just a bit of dead water that collects rubbish.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Bolt cropper has all access levels

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Bolt cropper has all access levels

How 20thC.

Battery powered angle grinder (makes a bit of noise) doesn't require the effort and physical strength that some ageing boaters may no longer be able to offer.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How 20thC.

Battery powered angle grinder (makes a bit of noise) doesn't require the effort and physical strength that some ageing boaters may no longer be able to offer.

I carry bolt croppers, may be I should up grade 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I carry bolt croppers, may be I should up grade 

A battery angle grinder can do all sorts of things that a boltcropper can only dream of 😀, A very useful tool on a boat.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, dmr said:

A battery angle grinder can do all sorts of things that a boltcropper can only dream of 😀, A very useful tool on a boat.

A bolt cropper will work in the weedhatch. Let's see an angle grinder do that

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

A bolt cropper will work in the weedhatch. Let's see an angle grinder do that

Its actually seriously difficult to cut anything in the weedhatch using boltcroppers. I suppose our boat is a little deeper than many, but with the jaws open enough to bite a length of wire near the centre of the prop the handles are just far too open to get down the hatch. I do wonder if anybody has found any double-jointed/long reach croppers that can get right into the weedhatch?

The historic brigade are on their way to The Port for the Easter gathering. They usually stop at Chester before being released in an orderly manner to the museum. I think the basin is used then.

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

The historic brigade are on their way to The Port for the Easter gathering. They usually stop at Chester before being released in an orderly manner to the museum. I think the basin is used then.

Well its not long to find out

On 23/03/2024 at 12:06, Ewan123 said:

20240323_113724.jpg

20240323_112537.jpg

20240323_112543.jpg

When are you wanting to moor in Telfords Basin (the actual big Basin, not the bit in your photo behind the locked bridge)?

From memory, whilst you might get one or two arriving earlier, most will arrive on the weds or Thurs before Good Friday and just stop there overnight. There's usually anywhere between 20 - 30ish boats, most rafted up out into the basin from the dry dock side of the canal. A few like to moor opposite the dry dock ready for the quick getaway on Friday morning.

I'm sure there would be space to moor against the bank closer to the pub and admittedly underneath the new flat block, which on paper doesn't seem ideal, but despite it being students, it's still very quiet there.

I've never ever seen a boat in that little basin you're on about, and with a chain and padlock around the bridge, CRT (or whoever owns it) clearly don't want anyone in there. Cutting that chain with bolt croppers or angle grinder would be a criminal offence.

Edited by junior

26 minutes ago, junior said:

I've never ever seen a boat in that little basin you're on about, and with a chain and padlock around the bridge, CRT (or whoever owns it) clearly don't want anyone in there. Cutting that chain with bolt croppers or angle grinder would be a criminal offence.

Which is odd, because if memory serves the CRT sign on the bridge says something about being customer operated and has instructions on unlocking and opening the swing bridge?

On 24/03/2024 at 08:57, Ray T said:

Yes I’m looking forward to that!

2 hours ago, junior said:

When are you wanting to moor in Telfords Basin (the actual big Basin, not the bit in your photo behind the locked bridge)?

From memory, whilst you might get one or two arriving earlier, most will arrive on the weds or Thurs before Good Friday and just stop there overnight. There's usually anywhere between 20 - 30ish boats, most rafted up out into the basin from the dry dock side of the canal. A few like to moor opposite the dry dock ready for the quick getaway on Friday morning.

I'm sure there would be space to moor against the bank closer to the pub and admittedly underneath the new flat block, which on paper doesn't seem ideal, but despite it being students, it's still very quiet there.

Some are already on their way via the MSC

6 hours ago, nealeST said:

Yes I’m looking forward to that!

If you are heading over then do say hello if we are about. Short boat in various shades of grey (not 50 though) with no signwriting as it is currently mid-repaint.

Alec

Alas I can report that a (genuine) BW key does not fit that padlock, as you all suspected. Which does seem to contradict the sign on the swingbridge 🤔 I'll ask CRT.

20240331_121847.jpg.478992730805d3fe35d1d1f4de820f88.jpg