"The Canal Map of Britain" at 8pm tonight on Channel 5

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Clashes with the Premiership Rugby Cup Final and Gardeners World one of which I have to record 😟

Also 1 hour later on Channel 5+1...

1 hour ago, IanD said:

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni64477898/

Might be worth a watch (or recording to skip the ads), or might not...

The Canal Map of Britain Airs March 15 2024 on Channel 5

noptimize--

Embark on a nostalgic journey through Britain’s picturesque canal network with “The Canal Map of Britain,” airing at 8:00 PM on Friday, March 15, 2024, exclusively on Channel 5. This fascinating documentary offers viewers a captivating history of the beloved canals, delving into the stories of the hardworking navvies whose strength carved out the waterways.

In this insightful exploration, the program shines a spotlight on the visionary engineers and architects responsible for creating some of Britain’s most remarkable tunnels and aqueducts. With a blend of historical anecdotes and breathtaking visuals, “The Canal Map of Britain” provides a window into the past, celebrating the ingenuity and craftsmanship that shaped the iconic canal landscape.

Whether you’re a canal enthusiast or simply curious about Britain’s rich industrial history, this documentary promises to be a captivating and informative watch. Tune in for a nostalgic trip down the canal lanes and discover the tales of those whose contributions have left an enduring mark on Britain’s scenic waterways.

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

fab thanks, might be good as its C5

Even with their ability to stretch 25mins of content over an hour program with coming-up's & recaps around each ad break?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Even with their ability to stretch 25mins of content over an hour program with coming-up's & recaps around each ad break?

Hence the need to record it... 😉 

(or watch it on streaming with a Pi-Hole removing all the ads -- brilliant...)

6 hours ago, GUMPY said:

Clashes with the Premiership Rugby Cup Final and Gardeners World one of which I have to record 😟

Even more importantly it clashes with the friday evening Clwb wisgi meeting in the local pub!!

5 minutes ago, Chris Lowe said:

We seem to have a new canal engineer though, anyone else heard of John Brindley, maybe James twin?

I noticed that.

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

For a program aimed at Joe Public not canal nerds, I didn't think it was too bad at all...

Yes definately for the public not for nerds, the Ellesmere (Langollen) canal history was a tad off as well.

Watched it and thought 🤷‍♀️reasonable enough 

3 things stuck out;

1 I’m English but the pronunciation of Llangollen and Pontycyllte made me cringe,

2 I’ve forgot,

3 comparing live aboards to keeping the traditions of living like boating families of old, utter nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Watched it and thought 🤷‍♀️reasonable enough

3 comparing live aboards to keeping the traditions of living like boating families of old, utter nonsense.

That's what struck me too. I appreciate that it is aimed at the naive viewer, but they could at least have show some pictures of an actual working boat to give a better view of the life.

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Watching it. Feels like it's made for kids, schools maybe, patronising commentary and a woman expert who both looks and sounds like Philomena Cunk...

Reminded me of those books that were popular a few years ago.

Canals for Dummies.

12 hours ago, Chris Lowe said:

We seem to have a new canal engineer though, anyone else heard of John Brindley, maybe James twin?

John Brindley was James Brindley's younger brother and he built and owned the first 2 potteries at Longport

The usual TV twaddle, completely lacking a detailed understanding of canal and industrial history, which could then be refined into something entertaining.