Lithium Batteries installation

Featured Posts

Thats a bit tenuous (hope I'm not starting another argument here). An equivalent circuit of a resistor could be a pure resistor in parallel with a voltage source, or sources (or in series with a current source) and these sources  generate the noise, so the resistive part itself will still be truly ohmic.

As to quantum rffects, I don't believe this stuff, or relativity, its a sort of conspiracy theory. What happened was that everything that could be invented or understood was all done ages ago by people like Newton and so there was nothing left to do. Various chancers who wanted to make a name for themselves then just made stuff up to get famous, Einstein after all was just an accountant, that says it all really.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Thats a bit tenuous (hope I'm not starting another argument here). An equivalent circuit of a resistor could be a pure resistor in parallel with a voltage source, or sources (or in series with a current source) and these sources  generate the noise, so the resistive part itself will still be truly ohmic.

As to quantum rffects, I don't believe this stuff, or relativity, its a sort of conspiracy theory. What happened was that everything that could be invented or understood was all done ages ago by people like Newton and so there was nothing left to do. Various chancers who wanted to make a name for themselves then just made stuff up to get famous, Einstein after all was just an accountant, that says it all really.

Sounds like yet more misunderstanding/spurious arguments to me... 😉

Resistors do generate noise, if they didn't they'd break the laws of conservation of energy and thermodynamics. They can also have excess shot (current) noise depending on the materials they're made from causing the current flow to fluctuate slightly. But neither of these invalidates Ohm's Law which describes the DC current through a resistor as a function of voltage. Parasitic inductances and capacitance don't break it either, then you have to work with complex impedances and phase shifts which are outside its scope.

Quantum effects and tunnelling do happen all the time in ICs -- if it didn't you wouldn't be reading this post, because the ICs that shipped the data to you rely on it happening (or not) at the right times. But not in resistors, you need a potential barrier to tunnel through and resistors don't have one.

Sorry to play the expert again if this p*sses some people off, but I didn't start this particular debate, and those *are* the actual facts... 😉

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

On and on and on and on and on....................

Disney got it right when Elsa sang ............................

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Sorry to play the expert again if this p*sses some people off, but I didn't start this particular debate, and those *are* the actual facts... 😉

Maybe not, but you sure as hell have prolonged it................

4 minutes ago, MJG said:

Maybe not, but you sure as hell have prolonged it................

I find it a lot less stressful to just not read any posts by our resident expert in everything but I did nearly fall off my chair when he said he didn't know everything about boats. Fooled us all 🙂

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Alternatively, don't spout pseudo-technical BS about things you don't really understand. No Alan, that's not aimed at you... 😉

I guess that was aimed at Nick, who you have just decided to put on ignore so why bother trying to initiate a response if you won't see it????

(well we know the reason is because you will see it in reality)

Just now, haggis said:

I find it a lot less stressful just not read any posts by our resident expert in everything but I did nearly fall off my chair when he said he didn't know everything about boats. Fooled us all 🙂

I never claimed to, as I'm sure you're well aware. But like others on the forum there are some subjects that I do know about, and get annoyed when people post stuff about them that's just plain misleading or wrong -- and like others (including @Alan de Enfield ) I try and correct any errors. If they don't want this to continue, they can always stop posting stuff that's wrong, and I'll stop correcting them... 🙂

I've tried steering the thread back to the original subject several times, but a certain somebody kept on with the personal attacks to which I was unwise enough to rise -- and sadly the usual suspects (not you) have now joined in.  Following the forum rules about how to treat other posters wouldn't be such a bad thing either -- who was it who mentioned "vendetta"?

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Disney got it right when Elsa sang ............................

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

Better to post the video 

Seems to remember an edited version with just the let it go bit 🤔

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

I never claimed to, as I'm sure you're well aware. But like others on the forum there are some subjects that I do know about, and get annoyed when people post stuff about them that's just plain misleading or wrong -- and like others (including @Alan de Enfield ) I try and correct any errors. If they don't want this to continue, they can always stop posting stuff that's wrong, and I'll stop correcting them... 🙂

I've tried steering the thread back to the original subject several times, but a certain somebody kept on with the personal attacks to which I was unwise enough to rise -- and sadly the usual suspects (not you) have now joined in.  Following the forum rules about how to treat other posters wouldn't be such a bad thing either -- who was it who mentioned "vendetta"?

But here's the thing, how do people know you are right and others are wrong? This was my earlier point.

You claim to be an engineer, and use lots of complicated sounding sentences but to the average reader (who you referenced earlier) it just reads like a load of gobbledegook. 

So as much as you think you need to shout down people who you believe are wrong in reality you don't because without knowledge of the subject to the level of detail required people can't make an informed decision.

Edited by MJG

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Well yes but your “pure resistor” is an imaginary concept that doesn’t exist in reality. So ohms law is very good at predicting the behaviour of an imaginary construct that doesn’t exist in the universe. Very useful (not)!

No electrical component is perfect, a capacitor has resistance and inductance but that does not invalidate the concept of capacitance. And as you say, ultimately there are quantum effects so at extremes everything goes a bit uncertain and statistical. Us engineers spend almost all of our lives in the safe middle ground where we don't need to worry about these things and to some extent engineering is about making things work and not worrying too much about the theoretical extremes. I suppose as the features in semiconductors get smaller and smaller these things might start to matter.

Noise in resistors is a significant issue so maybe I am wrong, but I see noise as a separate issue and not a corruption of ohms law.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

No electrical component is perfect, a capacitor has resistance and inductance but that does not invalidate the concept of capacitance. And as you say, ultimately there are quantum effects so at extremes everything goes a bit uncertain and statistical. Us engineers spend almost all of our lives in the safe middle ground where we don't need to worry about these things and to some extent engineering is about making things work and not worrying too much about the theoretical extremes. I suppose as the features in semiconductors get smaller and smaller these things might start to matter.

Noise in resistors is a significant issue so maybe I am wrong, but I see noise as a separate issue and not a corruption of ohms law.

Certainly do, this has already been going on for at least a decade, and the transistors nowadays look and behave nothing like "traditional" ones either physically or electrically, are so complex they've virtually impossible to lay out manually, and are only visible with electron microscopes anyway.

None of which matters for boats, unless you want to use the cellular network or the internet or any computing gear or mobile phone -- in which case you're already using stuff which relies on all these effects to function... 😉

P.S. You're not wrong about resistor noise -- which is very rarely an issue anyway compared to transistor noise...

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, GUMPY said:

Better to post the video 

Seems to remember an edited version with just the let it go bit 🤔

Have you seen the 'I'm a hoe version?' 

Very funny but also very explicit. 

Disclaimer: If you watch this an are offended don't moan. 

It is funny though given how Elsa made her pimps so much cash. 

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Have you seen the 'I'm a hoe version?' 

Very funny but also very explicit. 

Disclaimer: If you watch this an are offended don't moan. 

It is funny though given how Elsa made her pimps so much cash. 

Or this version, from just after the last US Presidential election.

Sadly, Trump didn't heed her words.

4 hours ago, MJG said:

But here's the thing, how do people know you are right and others are wrong? This was my earlier point.

You claim to be an engineer, and use lots of complicated sounding sentences but to the average reader (who you referenced earlier) it just reads like a load of gobbledegook. 

So as much as you think you need to shout down people who you believe are wrong in reality you don't because without knowledge of the subject to the level of detail required people can't make an informed decision.

And what is your experience with fitting out a boat with Lithium? Please let us know your vast knowledge on Lithium  batteries, yes @IanD might go on a bit, but you have no experience with the technology being discussed and @IanD does. Your a total argumentative joke. 

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm tagging @Gibbo as a referee on this thread.

If only for entertainment value ...

Tagging won't work. 

you have to say that you heard he died. 

I heard that he died. 

Ita probably a bit late for this as he died ages ago ! I think it was around 2016. 

4 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

And what is your experience with fitting out a boat with Lithium? Please let us know your vast knowledge on Lithium  batteries, yes @IanD might go on a bit, but you have no experience with the technology being discussed and @IanD does. Your a total argumentative joke. 

Oh look it's Mr. stalky.

Have you downloaded anybody else's daughters facebook images lately?

Edited by MJG