CCTV ?

waterworks

Featured Posts

Our offside CRT mooring was broken into last night and a generator stolen , can anyone reccomend a camera for security?  There is no mains power and I only have very limited solar in winter, maybe a trail cam ? 

Nothing fancy or expensive just images saved to a memory card. 

Good news is that there is only one entrance and exit and a tree to mount it on.

If the CCTV is to be of any use in any future burglary incident, the images need to be of 'evidential quality' otherwise the police are unlikely to use them. I'm not sure if there is a list available of equipment meeting such a requirement, but I doubt that cheap trail cameras are good enough. Have you tried asking your local police crime prevention people?

Just now, David Mack said:

If the CCTV is to be of any use in any future burglary incident, the images need to be of 'evidential quality' otherwise the police are unlikely to use them. I'm not sure if there is a list available of equipment meeting such a requirement, but I doubt that cheap trail cameras are good enough. Have you tried asking your local police crime prevention people?

An interesting point.  We had CCtv in the shops and we had an incident.  I felt the images were distinctly ropey but the cop said "oh you have good images, that's so and so (naming the culprits and telling us their nationality).

That left me wondering what evidential quality looks like, however, that was 20 years ago so standards have improved in image quality so what is acceptable probably has as well.

CCTV cameras can't stop thieves but if you do want to monitor the area around the Boat then putting a 4G foaling camera somewhere is a good solution. 

I found the cameras from Zopkins are good. When I was moored by a footpath I set the camera to email me when someone walked past. It was very effective but ended up overloading my hotmail account. 

This camera

https://zopkins.com/collections/4g-wifi-farm-yard-cameras/products/5mp-4g-sim-card-camera

Needs a 4G data sim. 

A useful feature is that the camera also creates its own MiFi hotspot. In fact I use my cameras more for the internet connection than the camera ability. 

:rolleyes:

The problem with CCTV is that the scrotes know all they have to do is cover their faces, wear a hood and annonymous type clothing and shoes.

It then could be just about anybody.

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

The problem with CCTV is that the scrotes know all they have to do is cover their faces, wear a hood and annonymous type clothing and shoes.

It then could be just about anybody.

Nowadays, the career criminals dont bother, as there is little chance of comeback from the Police, who are tied up arresting 50 nice eco friendly people and sending them to jail every time they walk slowly in a road....whilst allowing another 50 with Palestinian flags to stop buses and cars with no fear of arrest.

• Greenie 1

This is where a 410 is handy. 

Having said that I knew someone who kept a 410 on his Boat and used it to ward orf terrible scrotes the next thing he knew the armed police were all over him. 

Maybe not then. 

Cordless chainsaw?

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

This is where a 410 is handy. 

Having said that I knew someone who kept a 410 on his Boat and used it to ward orf terrible scrotes the next thing he knew the armed police were all over him. 

Maybe not then. 

Cordless chainsaw?

C & H handspike….needed for boating….also tell plod you think the assailants had weapons…..

4 hours ago, waterworks said:

Our offside CRT mooring was broken into last night and a generator stolen , can anyone reccomend a camera for security?  There is no mains power and I only have very limited solar in winter, maybe a trail cam ? 

Nothing fancy or expensive just images saved to a memory card. 

Good news is that there is only one entrance and exit and a tree to mount it on.

PM sent. 

I have a Browning wildlife camera that while a bit pricey, is very reliable and produces good images. I use it for wildlife rather than security. Whatever wildlife camera you use, I'd advise looking for a model with a 12v input socket to allow you to power it from an external source. AA batteries don't last long at all. I power mine with a 12ah sealed lead acid battery, and it lasts for months. 

Edited by booke23

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

PM sent. 

I have a Browning wildlife camera that while a bit pricey, is very reliable and produces good images. I use it for wildlife rather than security. Whatever wildlife camera you use, I'd advise looking for a model with a 12v input socket to allow you to power it from an external source. AA batteries don't last long at all. I power mine with a 12ah sealed lead acid battery, and it lasts for months. 

Does that setup still lend itself to being hidden?   If a trail cam is used for security I think it will only have any value if it is unseen otherwise it will probably walk away with the scrotes.

EDit to add I use rechargeables on our browning they last a couple of weeks or so.

Edited by Jerra

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Does that setup still lend itself to being hidden?   If a trail cam is used for security I think it will only have any value if it is unseen otherwise it will probably walk away with the scrotes.

EDit to add I use rechargeables on our browning they last a couple of weeks or so.

Potentially. You can get camo external battery boxes that you can secreat further up the tree....some even have built in solar to trickle charge the battery. 

If you want it to be invisible, you need a camera with 900nm wavelength IR lighting, which is invisible to the human eye. Standard IR lighting that most trail cams have are quite noticeable in pitch dark with their red glow. 

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

If you are on the central Grand Union section, there seems to be a spate of thefts from boats at present.

Sorry to hear of this

Is Mr Finch still alive? The description of this theft doesn’t sound like his former method/  mode of activity though

Local mobile kebab van had one stolen whilst the shop was operating- padlock cut and thief raced off in a car. 😕 

8 hours ago, Jerra said:

This is what put me off using google nest cams

10 hours ago, frangar said:

C & H handspike….needed for boating….also tell plod you think the assailants had weapons…..

I have one of those.

Not sure about a valid use on the Thames but an iron boathook is handy as my life ring blew in the River. 

On 11/01/2024 at 08:51, robtheplod said:

If I was doing this again, I'd just get lots of those cheap solar proximity lights and pop them around the boat - scrotes hate lights!

Just remember to take them off the canal-side of the boat. They're blooming awful to cruise past in the dark.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Amazon Blink outdoor cameras. Runs off internal lithium battery which you replace about every two years. Every now and then they are cheap to buy so don't buy at full price.

Amazon.co.uk : blink outdoor camera

seconded... very reliable and clear with lots of features such as motion alert and even have temperature sensors/alerts......

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Amazon Blink outdoor cameras. Runs off internal lithium battery which you replace about every two years. Every now and then they are cheap to buy so don't buy at full price.

Amazon.co.uk : blink outdoor camera

27 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

seconded... very reliable and clear with lots of features such as motion alert and even have temperature sensors/alerts......

But the OP wanted something simple that can store to a memory card. Blink cameras need wifi (and potentially a subscription), not ideal on a mooring with limited power options. 

Edited by booke23

On 10/01/2024 at 21:43, frangar said:

A good few years ago the local Bobby told me that my 4 d cell maglite could be an  offensive weapon, but a torch if switched on...  so I had to switch it on before hitting any scrotes with it.