Cr@ppy problem on new (old) NB - to cassette or not to cassette?

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Simple unbinding is easy.

Just take a dose of Moviprep.

If you've taken it you will know.😱

Or visit the Kings Arms at Coleorton and have a single pint of Bass before Christmas dinner. Straight though, faster than Epsom salts. First two before dinner at 3, last two within an hour after...

TMI...

• Horror 1

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Halsall offer this service there is also someone you will visit by road with a trailer, but that doesn't come cheap 

Just found the details of the one that does it by road 

For reference
His name is Simeon
And his email is tsncltd [at] gmail.com
Zero Seven 714 754907

hi Brian, he’s not long left, by road he covers the four counties and Cheshire ring, weaver navigation and up to the other side of Chester.
As it was on a call out basis as I couldn’t Waite any longer as I was out, there was a £50 call out but he did fit two remote cables and the labour was included in the call out.
I had gas, diesel coal and pump out.
No fuss service and first time in a long time I didn’t feel it was all about the money.
Great service recommend to anyone
Edited by 1st ade
Obfuscated email and phone
  • Greenie 1

On 29/12/2023 at 17:54, pearley said:

it's just that somehow a 3 hour one way trip up to the nearest pump out station seems like a much bigger endeavour

3 hour return trip surely. Scarisbrick Marina nearest pumpout to Burscough. No locks but a few swing bridges. If you require an engineer then they are probably the best to ask.

Yes that was my first thought. Speak to Dan for the work.

I'd also put together your own self pumpout kit and a 20 litre caravan waste tank (or any suitable 20/25 L drum.). All you need is a manual bilge pump and  few metres of hose and a 1.5 inch BSP (male) fitting. Fill your waste drum and empty at the elsan point.  Very similar to a typical cassette. 

3 months between pumpouts is amazing. When the Dark Lord is in board we are lucky to last a week ... at 4 times a year a couple of hours to Scarisbrick orva pumpout shouldn't be  any great hardship 

13 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I'd also put together your own self pumpout kit and a 20 litre caravan waste tank (or any suitable 20/25 L drum.). All you need is a manual bilge pump and  few metres of hose and a 1.5 inch BSP (male) fitting. Fill your waste drum and empty at the elsan point.  Very similar to a typical cassette. 

I've seen this suggested several times over the years but I just cannot fathom why you would want to do it.

1) If you are going to decant it from a pump-out tank into a 20 litres plastic container, why not dump it straight into the 20 litre container in the first place (AKA a 'cassette')

2) A proper cassette has an air release valve incorporated - a 20 litre plastic container does not - tip it up to empty it and you'll get a huge 'glug' as it beats the vaccum, gushes and splashes all over the place.

3) You have to store a "dirty" bilge pump, a few metres length of "dirty" hose and a "dirty" container  - where are you going to wash it all down ? Dunking it in the canal will not get rid of the muck.

Why not just have the proper cassette system from the start ?

• Greenie 2

Some 20 litre oil drums do have an air release valve on them. 

I found a blue plastic rectangular oil drum in the River which has a valve. It is good for Diesel. 

Many years ago while at work we were filling an AFFF tank from 25 lt drums up a ladder. The chap trying to pour the drums into the tank was making a pigs air of it so so I went up to show them how to do it. Big mistake, I ended up pouring al the rest . If you do it right you can pour it quite fast.

I would think it better to not involve ladders when emptying used food products from a portable container. 

It not something one wants to get wrong. It'll be the viscosity. 

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've seen this suggested several times over the years but I just cannot fathom why you would want to do it.

'wanting to' and having the 'capability to do ' are slightly separate things in my mind.   why do people (on here) always talk about having more than one form of heating, back up water pumps, multiple ways to charge batteries etc...  simple because having 'redundancy' is always a good thing in any system. So having the capability to drain 20 litres or so out of a pumpout tank and being able to use an elsan disposal point to dispose of it is very handy.  washing out the short hoses/pump is no more /less difficult than rinsing a cassette using the elsan point rinse facility. 

Finally i don't have the room to operate (when needed) and store a 'cassette' toilet, I do have the room  (in the engine ole) to store 2m of hose and small pump and 20l container, like this which is designed for the job. https://towsure.com/products/caravan-waste-container-black-23-litre?variant=45994375479598&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiA4smsBhAEEiwAO6DEjVTeGCbG3cGpmdDWnU4CQASMp0rKjPXiBQUpI7rj_uyrtXRHLY7frBoC4AIQAvD_BwE

if i wanted a shit suitcase system i'd have one, but i'm more than happy with our macerator toilet/pumpout system which works for us.  for the OP it would give them an option whilst they consider the longer term solution. 

• Greenie 2

Yes, thanks for all the advice here! I think the main issue is that I didn't realise the tank was full until it was too late - need to find some way of fitting some sort of indicator so this doesn't happen again. There's no obvious place I can see that I could do that but perhaps I'll speak to the Scarisbrick marina and see if they can advise me. Leaking poo out of the hose is not the best indicator...

Meanwhile I have the porta poti set up for now and a pump out planned for tomorrow at the MMBC.

Would love to also have the DIY pump out into a suitable container option but I am not sure I would know how to put one together - does anyone have any more detailed advice that covers the pump and hose operation as well as the container? I've had a google but all I can see is the Leesan huge kits that aren't really suitable as I have no where to store them. 

1 hour ago, ruthieruthruth said:

Yes, thanks for all the advice here! I think the main issue is that I didn't realise the tank was full until it was too late - need to find some way of fitting some sort of indicator so this doesn't happen again. There's no obvious place I can see that I could do that but perhaps I'll speak to the Scarisbrick marina and see if they can advise me. Leaking poo out of the hose is not the best indicator...

Meanwhile I have the porta poti set up for now and a pump out planned for tomorrow at the MMBC.

Would love to also have the DIY pump out into a suitable container option but I am not sure I would know how to put one together - does anyone have any more detailed advice that covers the pump and hose operation as well as the container? I've had a google but all I can see is the Leesan huge kits that aren't really suitable as I have no where to store them. 

Mount the whole bog on bathroom scales and take a reading when nearly full for future reference.

On 01/01/2024 at 14:35, ditchcrawler said:

Many years ago while at work we were filling an AFFF tank from 25 lt drums up a ladder. The chap trying to pour the drums into the tank was making a pigs air of it so so I went up to show them how to do it. Big mistake, I ended up pouring al the rest . If you do it right you can pour it quite fast.

Your colleague was using strategic incompetence to make sure he was never asked to do this particular job again.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ruthieruthruth said:

I've had a google but all I can see is the Leesan huge kits that aren't really suitable as I have no where to store them. 

Did you look at this Leesan manual pumpout?

As not very big for storing onboard.

https://www.leesan.com/shop/self-pump-out-kits/manual-self-pump-out/leesan-manual-self-pump-out-kit-light-duty.aspx

I think there is an argument for a beer keg on a wheeled trolley and a diaphragm pump and battery on top of it. 

A normal keg is 60 litres. Its a stainless steel tank. yes it is quite heavy but also quite a good size and can be moved on wheels if needed. 

I use a beer keg for one of the Boats which has a pumpout system. The mooring has its own included dedicated shitsnake to each berth. 

The lavatory is a household type on its own holding tank and one transfers the black water using a macerator pump via 1 inch hose to the beer keg. 

Works great. In another scenario this keg could me made portable specially if one had a cruiser deck. Wheel it to the elsan point and switch your pump on. I cut a 6 inch hole in the keg and stuck a perspex dome on with sikaflex as a viewing window and a place to secure the in and out fittings and drill holes for vents. 

19 hours ago, ruthieruthruth said:

My boat came fitted with a "tank full" light. Having retired from an industry where everything critical had a back up, I was worried about the lamp failing, si I fitted one of these.

https://www.mcsboatproducts.co.uk/our-products/wastewater

They are easy to fit, you provide them with the depth of the tank, then use a holesaw to cut a hole in the top of the tank and secure the sensor through the tank using a rubber grommet. Then cut a hole for the gauge itself (mine is in the toilet compartment but you could position it near the helm), then take a 12 volt supply to the gauge (I took mine from the toilet power supply so that it is on when the toilet is switched on )and add wiring between the gauge and sensor and the jobs a good un.