Cr@ppy problem on new (old) NB - to cassette or not to cassette?

Featured Posts

yes we have one of the 'just too late' warning lights - a simple float switch. Never had a problem with the light failing (have two LEDS connected to it anyway). the problem we DO have is that float switches are not reliable and the err contents of the tank can be a bit "clingy" and it either fails to operate or stays on when emptied. The latter is less of a problem...  even so its better than nothing just needs the occasional wipe to clean it and keep it working. 

I like the look of the MCS solution and pleased to see they are offering a 52mm gauge option again,  so adding that to my list of jobs...

• Greenie 1

If one is employing a holesaw then it could be worth doing two holes. The second one to have a small perspex dome stuck over it with sikaflex.

Sometimes the Mk1 human eyeball is a good sensor if others fail. 

Little perspex dome

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163332659704

Condensation could be an issue and a torch may be needed. 

• Greenie 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Did you look at this Leesan manual pumpout?

As not very big for storing onboard.

https://www.leesan.com/shop/self-pump-out-kits/manual-self-pump-out/leesan-manual-self-pump-out-kit-light-duty.aspx

Aye, I did indeed but the £380 price tag is making me rethink working out the DIY version! (Also read some very negative reviews of these on here)

Edited by ruthieruthruth

39 minutes ago, ruthieruthruth said:

Aye, I did indeed but the £380 price tag is making me rethink working out the DIY version! (Also read some very negative reviews of these on here)

Paying someone to Remove your current system and buying a good Thetford C260, will be double that. Looks like you’ll be going DIY. 

26 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Paying someone to Remove your current system and buying a good Thetford C260, will be double that.

And the rest!!!

Oh hang on, you're up north where beer is still 50p a pint 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

And the rest!!!

Oh hang on, you're up north where beer is still 50p a pint 

Yes, I know, but didn’t want to give the OP a too big of a wake up call.

I drink when it’s “Happy Hour” so it’s half price at 25p a pint and I’m such a lightweight(like a larger drinking Southerner) I only have a couple🍻🍻

• Haha 1

Just for a comparison - some 20 years ago our Ex-hire Narrowboat had its black-tank system removed and a cassette toilet system fitted. This required the moving & rebuilding of the bed, and bathroom walls, and some new flooring so the opportunity was taken to change things around a bit, add in a storage 'wardrobe' for 2 folding bikes and change the bed to a cross-bed.

The final invoice was just over £11,000  which was pretty much all labour (remember this was at 2005 labour rates)

However - it was worth every penny to get rid of the poop-tank.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Yes, I know, but didn’t want to give the OP a too big of a wake up call.

I drink when it’s “Happy Hour” so it’s half price at 25p a pint and I’m such a lightweight(like a larger drinking Southerner) I only have a couple🍻🍻

Oi I'm a southerner and I wouldn't drink l*ger if I were dying of thirst. Look, my computer won't even type it.

"Scruttocks Old Dirigible" is my fave, with extra acorns in it please. Don't see it much around here...

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

, my computer won't even type it.

Nor would his! I believe the reference was to obesity. 

"and I’m such a lightweight(like a larger drinking Southerner) "

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

blockquote widget

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Nor would his!

Yes I noticed that too but he was spelling it wrong. 

I forgive him though because he is a northerner.

What can you expect!! 

:cheers:

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

https://www.mcsboatproducts.co.uk/our-products/wastewater

They are easy to fit, you provide them with the depth of the tank, then use a holesaw to cut a hole in the top of the tank and secure the sensor through the tank using a rubber grommet. Then cut a hole for the gauge itself (mine is in the toilet compartment but you could position it near the helm), then take a 12 volt supply to the gauge (I took mine from the toilet power supply so that it is on when the toilet is switched on )and add wiring between the gauge and sensor and the jobs a good un.

You could probably power it from a 9 volt dry cell battery via a push switch if you don't have a supply handy, out of 24 hours how many do you spent in the loo looking at the gauge

1 hour ago, ruthieruthruth said:

I had one and flogged it, where to keep the smelly thing was one problem, rolled up its requires about 3 foot square, the suction hose is flexible but sill quite a radius when packed away. I didn't want it laying on the roof like some I have seen. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, jonathanA said:

yes we have one of the 'just too late' warning lights - a simple float switch. Never had a problem with the light failing (have two LEDS connected to it anyway). the problem we DO have is that float switches are not reliable and the err contents of the tank can be a bit "clingy" and it either fails to operate or stays on when emptied. The latter is less of a problem...  even so its better than nothing just needs the occasional wipe to clean it and keep it working. 

I like the look of the MCS solution and pleased to see they are offering a 52mm gauge option again,  so adding that to my list of jobs...

I halved the cost of my pumpouts when I installed the MCS gauge, simply because it showed that my 'tank full' light comes on just before the tank is half full. It soon paid for itself.

Edited by cuthound
missing space

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes I noticed that too but he was spelling it wrong. 

I forgive him though because he is a northerner.

What can you expect!! 

:cheers:

it’s Happy hour and I’ve pushed the boat out and had 75p’s worth, it should of been Lagger, Doh 🍻Kebab and a Taxi🍻🍻

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

On 29/12/2023 at 20:16, David Mack said:

A Porta Potty type of loo doesn't require any skills to install. And if you have the space to store it, it is useful to have one when you have a working pumpout system as a standby for when the pumpout tank is full or something has gone wrong.

I agree with that. Don't think "replace" think "repair & add backup" (cassette), then you'll have the best (and worst) or both worlds and you'll never be stuck. 

Plus you'll be in the perfect position to contribute to these pump out vs cassette discussions!

42 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I agree with that. Don't think "replace" think "repair & add backup" (cassette), then you'll have the best (and worst) or both worlds and you'll never be stuck. 

Plus you'll be in the perfect position to contribute to these pump out vs cassette discussions!

But if they just had a cassette with spare cassette/s they would not get stuck, as far easier to dispose of, as their permanent moorings has Elsen disposal.
 So along with the problem of stopping leaks and knowing how full their tank is, they’re 3hrs away from a pump-out facility(if working at the time required) 

The long term solution would be to remove Pumpout and fit cassette to suit their permanent mooring.

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

But if they just had a cassette with spare cassette/s they would not get stuck, as far easier to dispose of, as their permanent moorings has Elsen disposal.
 So along with the problem of stopping leaks and knowing how full their tank is, they’re 3hrs away from a pump-out facility(if working at the time required) 

The long term solution would be to remove Pumpout and fit cassette to suit their permanent mooring.

I disagree. I'm not a fan of pump outs but if the OP's pump out can be easily fixed it just gives him more options. You seem to have forgotten the basic property of boats is that they can be moved. Just because the OP's mooring has an elsan point doesn't mean that will always be the case as he may one day decide on a different mooring.

You're correct that he will not get stuck with cassettes, but the OP is new to boats and he, like many others on this forum, may find he doesn't like cassettes, in which case if he follows your advice and removes the pump out now it could be an mistake. So fixing the pump out and using both toilets until he knows which he prefers is obviously the way to go -  assuming it can be repaired easily. If in future he decides he prefers cassettes and he needs the space then by all means remove the pump out, but removing it now when there's no need would be foolish in my opinion.

• Greenie 4

If you read, I think her second reply to the post, she seams a bit reluctant to move the 3 hours every time she wants a pump out, which could be quite often with an integral drop through tank(often smaller than a large removable tank) yes boats move but a lot don't move a lot once on their permanent mooring.

1 minute ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

If you read, I think her second reply to the post, she seams a bit reluctant to move the 3 hours every time she wants a pump out, yes boats move but a lot don't move a lot once on their permanent mooring.

She also says it's 3 hours *away* so a 6 hour round trip plus pumpout time, meaning an entire day each time it's needed. Not exactly convenient... 😞

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

I am not good on canal geography but are there really places that are three hours in any direction to find a pump out?

We never seem to have to go far before we find one when needed.

Yes, unfortunately my permanent mooring which also has no water facilities... Looking to move closer to the Elsan/Pump out and keep the PP as a backup plan. As I'm on my own, moving even through 4 swing bridges and 3+ hours in one direction was pretty miserable in the rain on new year's day with a hangover! The other direction would involve about 6 hours plus 10 locks before the next pump out point. Also trying to convince the canal services barge that he needs to add that to his service!

Its amazing how much complexity there is around a daily output which is so small you can hold it in your hand. 

Also slightly crazy how dangerous it is and how many toxins and bad bacteria and viruses there are. 

Makes one wonder what people are eating. 

I burn the stools on the fire. I suppose this would not suit everyone but it does help discourage invaders on the country estate especially in summer. 

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

I am not good on canal geography but are there really places that are three hours in any direction to find a pump out?

Yes, Sheffield Victoria Quays moorings, pump out broke at the minute(Marina Management not in any rush to fix) and hit & miss when it does actually work. Nearest Pumpout Long Sandel Lock Cart/Card Pumpout, over a days travel from the basin, mind you it is the Canal Terminus so the end of the line.

I also have a prototype 'out of shite out of mind' instant freeze compressed air actuated lavatory waste disposal GPS guided mortar system with a range of around 0.8 miles in Good Weather. This is the standard version. 

This system has the advantage of being able to rapidly convert the two waste streams into a readily usable projectile with a tapered nose cone for in flight accuracy. 

Upgrades

iphone / Android App allowing precise targeting using OS grid references and map overlays with wind compensator feature. 

Longer range is available if needed by upgrading the air hardware. 

Large bore mortar is a custom optional extra in case of too many people on the Boat and the "rapid fire" system encounters programming issues. 

We are working on improvements and hope to bring a product to market in the next 31 months. 

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

in the frozen north - all too common i'm afraid.  so at the west end of the L&L there is a pumpout at the top of the wigan flight so a 42 lock /two day job  if its a there and back trip.  next CRT one is Litherland.   But there is crooke and Scarisbrick marinas and also  MMBC not sure where they have PO's but they have several bases at the liverpool end of the L&L.  Water taps are slightly better but only just...

3 hours ago, IanD said:

She also says it's 3 hours *away* so a 6 hour round trip plus pumpout time, meaning an entire day each time it's needed. Not exactly convenient... 😞

I'd say its more like 2 hours each way  and a number of decent pubs en-route so potentially a pleasant day out.   the op did initially say they managed 3 months between Pumpouts so not that onerous, of course if thats changed and its more frequent then it could be a real nuisance. 

7 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

in the frozen north - all too common i'm afraid.  so at the west end of the L&L there is a pumpout at the top of the wigan flight so a 42 lock /two day job  if its a there and back trip.  next CRT one is Litherland.   But there is crooke and Scarisbrick marinas and also  MMBC not sure where they have PO's but they have several bases at the liverpool end of the L&L.  Water taps are slightly better but only just...

Ahhhh Crooke has one? Interesting. Might head that direction next time for a change of scene if I can get help with the locks. PO was something like 25 quid in Scarisbrick! (Although would have been 15 at the MMBC if I'd been able to get there in time)

I did buy the boat thinking that PO would be a good excuse to go boating but it is a *bit* more of a mission than I had anticipated to be honest.