Realistic YouTubers?

phillarrow

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Never seen any of them prefer to do it for myself but I do like the Vietnamese ones of the overloaded boats.

They're wicked. Proper Boating ! No messing around. 

One idly wonders if they worry a lot about the continuous cruiser issues.

I have my doubts in this regard. Small island mentality I think. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Nobody makes much money out of YouTube or any streaming channel. I think I got about 0.03p for a video that got about twenty thousand hits. If they're making money, they're being sponsored to advertise stuff, even if it's just product placement rather than blatant advertising. The usual internet rule applies - believe nothing!

Point of order Arthur it’s big business now- estimated earnings for foxes afloat is $183,000 https://starstat.yt/ch/foxes-afloat-net-worth

It’s monetised with views/ subscribers (10,000 subscribers- $500-1500 per month plus patreons. That’s why the subscribe button is so large quite often. 
Then separately Subscribers for patreon pay  between £2 to 13 per month plus vat https://www.patreon.com/CruisingTheCut

The patreons are made almost to feel personal links, the dialogue is like that. 

Then there’s advertising on YouTube and then as mentioned there’s sponsorship now from ABC and others. Cruising the cut also does camper van vlogs in the same style. I notice that cruising the cut and Robbie get tens of thousands of views within a day so there’s obviously huge numbers of subscribers. I’ve probably missed some stuff off as some YouTubers post “thanks for the coffee” messages.

Then there’s the go fund me pages when “Utter disaster we run out of oil” happens, and a can of 3in1 is needed.

These aren’t just glory hunters. 

Time for a maggot and trombone YouTube and patreon channel  methinks. Or a go fund me for your annual mooring fees. 

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

I've never subscribed to a channel. Why would one do this? 

Surely if you want content you can look for it. 

I suppose opening cwdf by typing the website name in to the browser and punching in the password each time might be a bit unusual as well to be fair ! 

Never had a bookmark or a 'feed'. 

The ‘subscribe’ button is stupidly named - it costs nothing, the only benefit is you get a notification when a new video is released and then don’t have to type anything in the search bar, it just loads with one click. It is quite useful if there is a particular person you enjoy regularly watching.

Mike Askin, who posts occasionally on this forum has a YouTube channel and has posted some great videos over the years.

Also Rebekah Fuller posts really well put together videos, usually featuring historic narrowboats, although I can't remember what she calls her 'channel' off the top of my head.

I don't think either are in it for the money.

• Happy 1

'Boat Time' are a young couple who live on their boat full time and seem down to earth people. They have just done a 24 days of Christmas where they are did vlogs for 24 days - helps to give an insight in that living on a boat is not always glamourous, you have to do cleaning and washing etc. I like them.

And if you like wildlife then take a look at A Shot Of Wildlife - he does quick short vlogs on wildlife that he comes across in the UK.

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

11 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Point of order Arthur it’s big business now- estimated earnings for foxes afloat is $183,000 https://starstat.yt/ch/foxes-afloat-net-worth

It’s monetised with views/ subscribers (10,000 subscribers- $500-1500 per month plus patreons. That’s why the subscribe button is so large quite often. 
Then separately Subscribers for patreon pay  between £2 to 13 per month plus vat https://www.patreon.com/CruisingTheCut

Then there’s advertising on YouTube and then as mentioned there’s sponsorship now from ABC and others. Cruising the cut also does camper van vlogs in the same style. I notice that cruising the cut and Robbie get tens of thousands of views within a day so there’s obviously huge numbers of subscribers. I’ve probably missed some stuff off as some YouTubers post “thanks for the coffee” messages.

Then there’s the go fund me pages when “Utter disaster we run out of oil” happens, and a can of 3in1 is needed.

Time for a maggot and trombone YouTube and patreon channel  methinks. Or a go fund me for your annual mooring fees. 

True enough. It's all part of the entertainment industry and I reckon good luck to anyone who manages to screw a living out of it. It's constant hard work to keep it running - I could never be bothered with the patreon thing, just used it to plug live stuff. I don't think that works too well these days anyway , everything's moved on to other platforms - YouTube and Facebook are for the old farts now and I've always regarded GoFundMe as a scammers paradise though it might be entertaining if we all went on en bloc for our licence costs!

12 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Maybe he should move from Facebook to Youtube  (8) Facebook

The only one I look at regularly is Life at 2.3 miles an hour - YouTube which is Andy Tidy 

12 hours ago, junior said:

Also Rebekah Fuller posts really well put together videos, usually featuring historic narrowboats, although I can't remember what she calls her 'channel' off the top of my head.

Rebekah - YouTube

• Happy 1

17 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Nobody makes much money out of YouTube or any streaming channel. I think I got about 0.03p for a video that got about twenty thousand hits. If they're making money, they're being sponsored to advertise stuff, even if it's just product placement rather than blatant advertising. The usual internet rule applies - believe nothing!

Yes but Arthur, all 20,000 clicks probably from you watching your own video.

Youtube can tell, yerknow!

On 24/12/2023 at 16:52, booke23 said:

[... ]Another one I enjoy is https://www.youtube.com/@NarrowboatJourneys. I don't really watch his cruising videos but do enjoy his Vlog and tips videos. Having lived aboard for over 30 years he has some very interesting stories and tells them well, including how isolating and lonely it can be living alone on a boat as a cc'er....he says it how it is.   

Phil is a mellow sort and like you say, he doesn't glamorise things. Met him once, lovely man.

It's a shame Narrowboat Helen (another Phil) took his channel down. It was excellent for showing how to renovate an old boat, in this case to an exceptional standard.

Although they are Marple (house) based now, Holly The Cafe Boat couple Jo and Vic (https://m.youtube.com/@HollyTheCafeBoat) were intrepid liveaboards for a long time, even raising their baby son aboard. Having met them, I can confirm they are as unpretentious as their channel content.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 24/12/2023 at 20:35, Stroudwater1 said:

What I don’t understand is why anyone would be a Patrion, costs a lot and they get “sneak previews “ 

I watch quite a lot of random YouTube videos but I don't even understand why I should "like" or subscribe to any of them. I know why they want me to but what's in it for me apart from a load of unwanted notifications? I'm just amazed that people buy into any of this membership/patreon nonsense.

I just can't be bothered with it. If it's out there and it's free I'll have a look, but for me it's a bit like when The Guardian asks me for money and expects me to feel some sense of loyalty.🤣 No thanks, I'll just look at a different free news website.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

I pay £8 per month for patreon membership for the Blondihacks channel about metal working/machining. She puts up a ~30min vlog once a week.  I have learnt a lot from it and it is well presented.  The freebies that come with the subscription are of no use to me, I just pay up out of a sense of gratitude for what I consider is the best viewing available across all channels.

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I watch quite a lot of random YouTube videos but I don't even understand why I should "like" or subscribe to any of them.

It's about giving something back (and the good thing is it costs nothing). Whilst there are many reasons to be cynical about YouTube, some people take a lot time and effort to produce content. Like everything there is good and bad. As someone that is in the process of fitting out a boat, I have learnt a lot from videos. 

Martin

• Greenie 2

I rather enjoyed the Danni and Joe fit-out series. It was straightforward and did not dress it up. There is a lot of good content on Youtube and I do appreciat the effort some people go to - some is way more interesting than television. @system 4-50 whilst I like Blondihacks, This Old Tony is probably one of my favourites. 

Alec

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I pay £8 per month for patreon membership for the Blondihacks channel about metal working/machining. She puts up a ~30min vlog once a week.  I have learnt a lot from it and it is well presented.  The freebies that come with the subscription are of no use to me, I just pay up out of a sense of gratitude for what I consider is the best viewing available across all channels.

I suppose its a bit like donating to keep this forum running, you don't have to give but thankfully lots do who enjoy reading it, sometimes more than others

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, mshakeshaft said:

It's about giving something back (and the good thing is it costs nothing). Whilst there are many reasons to be cynical about YouTube, some people take a lot time and effort to produce content. Like everything there is good and bad. As someone that is in the process of fitting out a boat, I have learnt a lot from videos. 

Martin

Well, we're all free to do what we want. I don't feel any desire to subscribe or like these things while you do. I appreciate some people put a lot of work into their videos but again that's entirely up to them. As I understand it they get some sort of financial compensation from the advertising that as a non-fee payer I have to watch. 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Well, we're all free to do what we want. I don't feel any desire to subscribe or like these things while you do. I appreciate some people put a lot of work into their videos but again that's entirely up to them. As I understand it they get some sort of financial compensation from the advertising that as a non-fee payer I have to watch. 

This is true. Here is Mary Spender giving an articulate and enlightening analysis of what she makes from her channel.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Some do, some don't. You have to have a certain number of followers/subscribers before you get a share of the advert money, otherwise YouTube take it all. You used to be able to opt out of having ads played before your videos, but that's no longer the case, which is irritating for those of us who don't make a penny out of them as it obviously puts people off viewing stuff (at least, it does me) and is why every channel (NB not mine) is now desperate for you to subscribe.

34 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Some do, some don't. You have to have a certain number of followers/subscribers before you get a share of the advert money, otherwise YouTube take it all. You used to be able to opt out of having ads played before your videos, but that's no longer the case, which is irritating for those of us who don't make a penny out of them as it obviously puts people off viewing stuff (at least, it does me) and is why every channel (NB not mine) is now desperate for you to subscribe.

I watched a youtube video a couple of months ago where the presenter was slagging off youtube itself ( is it run by google?).

Apparently they keep on reducing the share of ad revenue that goes to the video makers. For a creator who typically gets say 20k views (which is very good for a canal video), this has reduced what was a pittance down to almost nothing. So its only the big channels that make any money from those ads.

Even David Johns described his ad revenue as 'pin money', if I remember right- and his videos get more views than anyone else.

They also introduced a system where creators pay youtube to have their videos promoted to viewers (i.e. shown at top of a search list or similar).

So those who don't pay this charge are allegedly seeing their view numbers drop, as the promoted videos gain a 'leg up'.

I think this is why so many of those youtubers go on about patreon and membership so much- its now become the only source of revenue for a small to medium channel. 

I do watch a fair few canal videos, and there seem to be new channels cropping up every month. 

The majority are not very interesting or entertaining, but even the poorer ones seem to have well-crafted intro sequences, and lots of artistic camera angles, music, clever drone shots, etc. 

But I think anyone getting into canal vlogging these days is kidding themselves if they think they'll make any amount of money. They wont make anything that reflects the time and effort they have to put into making the videos (perhaps apart from the very few creators who get higher view numbers). 

Many of them talk of spending hours and hours editing videos, but the fruits of their labours are probably measured in pennies, rather than pounds. 

Apart from a few 'big' channels, it's probably best to consider canal vlogging as a non-paying hobby, rather than a potentially lucrative showbiz career.

Edited by Tony1

22 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Apparently they keep on reducing the share of ad revenue that goes to the video makers. For a creator who typically gets say 20k views (which is very good for a canal video), this has reduced what was a pittance down to almost nothing. So its only the big channels that make any money from those ads.

For some actual figures, watch the Mary Spender video I posted above! 

I have to admit to watching quite a lot of these. They are all very different..... my favs are:

Narrowboat Will - he's mad as a box of frogs but is a lovely guy who helps any boater out on the engineering front as he passes....

Ben and Emily - they are a nice 'hippy' couple travelling around - just got a 2nd small boat to do up. Got a female cat called .... Alan!

Cruising the Cut - Makes top notch quality videos although more advertising is creeping in.

The Rum Wench/The Pirate Boat - Heidi is a single female running a pirate themed boat - likes rum!

The mindful narrowboat - probably my favourite, Vanessa is a nature lover who gets great shots - does rhymes and draws her findings... very talented lady

The Nomadic Crobot - these two zany people will annoy most on here but i find them amusing!

This type of TV will replace conventional TV over time and advertisers have cotton onto it by giving products to youtubers go give reviews (oddly enough they all give positive reviews!). This must be saving the manufacturers a fortune in advertising!

• Happy 4