Another Grand Union Lock

Heartland

Featured Posts

The house / lock cottage is unusual with a gable end facing the lock, rather than in line with the towpath.  A great many of the lock cottages south of Braunston, whether still extant or long since demolished are/were single story.

I can't immediately place it at all.

The relatively small number of wires in the telegraph pole run would suggest quite a long way up from Brentford to me.  At the Southern end the poles were doubled up, at least by the end, although maybe they grew to that.

My overall feeling looking at brickwork, cill, gates etc is how unlikely it now is to find any of the GU locks in such good order!

45 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The house / lock cottage is unusual with a gable end facing the lock, rather than in line with the towpath.

All of the barrel roofed cottages on the South Stratford have the 'gable' end facing the canal.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

That gable end would fit Calcutt top lock, but if this is so the cottage has been extensively redeveloped. I also doubt it because it is wide and the paddle gear is wrong for when the lock was widened.

It's not any of the widened GU locks between Napton and Knowle - they are largely concrete with brick only used for the straight bits of the chamber walls.

It don’t look like there’s any of those tall hydraulic ground paddles that’s seen on some (or many?) GU locks,

so that cancels out Calcutt and Stockton,

I can’t remember much of the rest of the GU

maybe the Leicester Line could be a good call with those paddles on the top gates?

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

It don’t look like there’s any of those tall hydraulic ground paddles that’s seen on some (or many?) GU locks,

so that cancels out Calcutt and Stockton,

I can’t remember much of the rest of the GU

maybe the Leicester Line could be a good call with those paddles on the top gates?

Point of order...

The "candlestick" or "Dalek" paddle gear used on all the modernised locks on the Birmingham main line from Calcutt to Knowle is most definitely not hydraulic.

It is entirely mechanical with gears, something that can be proved by peering through the openings into the inner workings.

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Considering all the above is this possibly a Leicester line or Erewash lock?

To me it is a strong possibility that this is on the wide section of the GU Leicester main line.

I say this because I am very familiar with the Southern GU locks, Brentford to Braunston, but have not gone up or down the Leicester / Soar section in many decades.  I feel the picture is of somewhere I have not been in a very long while - but I'm probably wrong!

There is a screw in the candlesticks whereas the granny gear, as the name suggests, has a gear pump and a hydraulic ram. 

Someone on here I forget who once put up rather a nice cutaway image of the Ham Baker gear on the broad section of the Grand Union after Braun St On..

Interesting mechanisms. I didn't like them at all. Much preferred the reasonably original gear on the main Grand Union. 

45 deg bevel  wheel, with the teeth on the upper surface and a coarse pitch thread in the centre, roated by a bevel pinion on the winding shaft .

Rotate bevel wheel and the screw shaft goes up of down.

Mechanical advantage enormous, velocity ratio low.

N

On 22/12/2023 at 18:45, matty40s said:

Only one that it can be on the Leicester Line is Kibworth Top Lock, the house has changed many times over the years....

I think you have it. 

There is the same number of steps in both photos, and lock heights tend to be different.

On 23/12/2023 at 08:24, BEngo said:

45 deg bevel  wheel, with the teeth on the upper surface and a coarse pitch thread in the centre, roated by a bevel pinion on the winding shaft .

Rotate bevel wheel and the screw shaft goes up of down.

Mechanical advantage enormous, velocity ratio low.

N

Paddle gear of the same principle is used on the Medway.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tonycanalpics.co.uk%2Fseast%2Fmedway%2F2175.jpg&tbnid=bAVU9g3Rx5DzsM&vet=1&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tonycanalpics.co.uk%2Fseast%2Fmedway%2F&docid=ruOJS0Jsl2DzpM&w=367&h=550&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim%2Fm4%2F2#imgrc=bAVU9g3Rx5DzsM