Thinking about buying a boat

Isher1883

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, IanD said:

Thumper was a rabbit in Bambi -- as I'd have thought most people would have known, not just @MtB's mum ! -- who said "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all" 🙂

Isn't that a double negative?   Which means you should say something, are we sure that is the wording?

I would think:

"If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all"

Would be more appropriate.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Isn't that a double negative?   Which means you should say something, are we sure that is the wording?

I would think:

I could be wrong but being a Disney cartoon I don't think the scriptwriters adhered to fully correct grammar.

Edited by MJG

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I would think:

Regardless of correctness (even in 'murica), it's what Thumper said in Bambi... 😉

Edited by IanD

This doesn't apply here because text is not speech.

It should be 'if you can't type something nice (terrible word needs replacing with a synonym like pleasant) then don't type anything at all.

Studying the level of abrasiveness of various different internet forum contributors must be an quite an interesting subject.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Studying the level of abrasiveness of various different internet forum contributors must be an quite an interesting subject.

I am about an 80s grit today, the head hurts.

I will be into the hospice sometime in the new year I think.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Sad 3

@Isher1883 Hope you stick around mate. Once you've got enough posts, feel free to DM me and we can have a chat - as another relatively younger boater (well... 34...) that moved aboard a year and a half ago, I can probably give some relevant and useful information about the transition to life on the water.

• Greenie 3

Check the costs involved, licence, moorings insurance, survey for the Boat safety scheme and much more, It is expensive, it can be lonely, It is certainly muddy in winter and the legal situation re continously moving and living on board in Marinas and suchlike is always tricky. Not sure if I would recommend it  these days but then buying or renting a house is not so great either, I think I would try to keep my head down and live in a box van or something. One thing is for sure though, if you do buy a boat it is yours to do what you wish with and although the waterways might not have been built for  living on many hundreds if not thousands live on boats and why not?

21 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Here we go again.   There are dozens of similar threads on here and many sensible answers. Can I suggest that instead of expecting us all to go through it again you use the search function and read some of those threads first then come back to us?

Residential moorings are controlled by unicorns and run by chickens with teeth. 

1 hour ago, Willonaboat said:

Read it, its rubbish as you know.

I really cannot be bothered what your opinion is.  I have re-read my original post and I think you are being deliberately obtuse, it was not rude but it was to the point.  It was humorous if you have a sense of humour.

If you all cannot live with that, tough. I do not care.

53 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Read it, its rubbish as you know.

I really cannot be bothered what your opinion is.  I have re-read my original post and I think you are being deliberately obtuse, it was not rude but it was to the point.  It was humorous if you have a sense of humour.

If you all cannot live with that, tough. I do not care.

Clearly!

7 hours ago, IanD said:

Thumper was a rabbit in Bambi -- as I'd have thought most people would have known, not just @MtB's mum ! -- who said "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all" 🙂

I thought Bambi and Thumper were assigned to guard Willard Whyte...

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

How the fork did this thread get so nasty? OP asked about specific mooring area and logistics. Not easy to do but not impossible, but we've got people from many miles away arguing about nonsense.

As always the first few posts answered the question.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

As always the first few posts answered the question.

But did they? Who on this thread has a mooring in the area the OP is talking about? Who can advise with confidence? I know a few people who could but they are not craptalkking on this thread.

53 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

How the fork did this thread get so nasty? OP asked about specific mooring area and logistics. Not easy to do but not impossible, but we've got people from many miles away arguing about nonsense.

Agreed, I've pretty much stopped posting on here and a click on my profile will tell you I've been on the site for a while. Where has all the nastiest come from on here these days?

K

• Greenie 2

I think folk are just trying to make  the OP aware of some of the things which will be different when living on a boat compared with dry land. To me this is being helpful as it might help to make up minds and I see it as  being realistic rather than critical. 

Ok, when the OP is a bit more aware of the differences then more detailed questions can be answered.

I don't think it is anything to do with not wanting new people on the canals as after all, the more new boaters the more money C&RT will have and that benefits us all.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Seems to be the norm.  There’s a couple of people on here regardless of how long they might have been a member who need to be banned for the sake of improving the usefulness of the forum and making it more helpful to users. Thankfully there does at least seem to be a growing tide of people getting fed up with it judging by the comments and ‘likes’ on threads criticising them.  Maybe they’ll notice,  but I suspect they’re too thick-skinned. (Or just thick more likely). 

• Greenie 1

Yes but how do you know they won't buy a Boat then find they can't get an official mooring so stay on the towpath and steadfastly refuse to move. Bloke develops an alcohol dependency, woman gets a bit lairy and legs it, bloke bends the elbow even more and ends up unlicensed with a pile of random shite beside the Boat on towpath land. 

The CRT then find the bloke is a moderately hardened anarchist / squatter type with early onset entitlement issues and just sticks two fingers up and says 'so sort it out - this is my home' while wielding his phone in the air and pronouncing 'I know my rights'. 

A hundred grand later the CRT have cleared the issue but still have a pile of old gas bottles and rusted bicycles and a dodgy generator left in the towpath to deal with. 

and dog poo in multicoloured plastic bags. 

Do we really want this ? 

• Greenie 2