Immunity from Bile

Featured Posts

Has anyone tried a decent cordless drill for the paddles thus far? Would need an anti wrist breaker bar.

I think it could work.

Many yars ago I was told by a BW employee that locks and associated hardware on canals should be operable by a fit 13 yar old girl.

Perhaps standards are slipping either in the fitness of the youth or the condition and maintenance of the locks and associated hardware.

I don't think my 13 yar old daughter would be able to wind paddles on some locks but she is fit.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Has anyone tried a decent cordless drill for the paddles thus far? Would need an anti wrist breaker bar.

I think it could work.

Many yars ago I was told by a BW employee that locks and associated hardware on canals should be operable by a fit 13 yar old girl.

Perhaps standards are slipping either in the fitness of the youth or the condition and maintenance of the locks and associated hardware.

I don't think my 13 yar old daughter would be able to wind paddles on some locks but she is fit.

When I was in France a few years back the lock keeper used one on the gate paddles 

15 hours ago, magnetman said:

I think it could work.

be interesting to try one of those battery powered impact drivers that mechanics (and others) all seem to use these days -i'd have thought a good battery 1/2" impact driver would stand a chance - possibly a bit too quick but possibly really good on some of those very low geared or hydraulic paddle gear. obviously would need to find a suitable 'socket' to fit the gear spindle. 

21 hours ago, M_JG said:

But why do some people feel the need to point this out when somebody is trying to sell something? Do they think it will enhance the chance of a sale?

It just marks people out as a bit of a 'know all clever clogs'.

That's a very good point. If somebody is trying to sell something nobody is being forced to buy it. If the item is of dubious quality, overpriced, etc, it will naturally find its place in the marketplace, including remaining unsold.

I didn't see what MtB said, but however tempting it is to make negative comments, nausing up someone else's potential private sale, whether intentionally or not, really isn't the done thing. If you're not interested just move along. Unfortunately some people can't help themselves and have to get involved.

Having said that, Speedy has obviously overreacted and isn't doing himself any favours with his response at all. He could have just told MtB to mind his own business if he wasn't interested in buying the windlass and left it at that.

• Greenie 1

It seems odd that something as innocuous as a windlass made for women and disabled people would cause so much emotional output.

I know that certain cars can get people all het up and criticism is something which must be very careful considered before uttering but a windlass?

Very odd.

If someone disses your boat and says its a worthless heap of scrap I suppose some people might be offended. Others would take it on the chin and hope for lower insurance premiums.

But a windlass. I don't understand.

If I said my windlass was for sale for £75 and someone said they will give me a fiver for it I'll challenge them to a duel and lend them one of my Samurai swords for an even contest.

IMG_20231208_140547.thumb.jpg.f23d8c1914720772bd82ba2b475ffc40.jpg

(it is not for sale as that would be far too silly)

Edited by magnetman
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

be interesting to try one of those battery powered impact drivers that mechanics (and others) all seem to use these days -i'd have thought a good battery 1/2" impact driver would stand a chance - possibly a bit too quick but possibly really good on some of those very low geared or hydraulic paddle gear. obviously would need to find a suitable 'socket' to fit the gear spindle. 

I know of someone who has tried that. Said it did not work and the juddering of the lock gear was potentially destructive.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I know of someone who has tried that. Said it did not work and the juddering of the lock gear was potentially destructive.

This person has just done a similar thing to mtb by commenting  on a "fire for sale"

19 hours ago, Speedy23 said:

>> "We only have your assertion that you would not be selling a faulty item" and then go on to say "No one even suggested that you are dishonest".

Come on, one or the other. What are you trying to say?

What do you mean by "IF there turned out to be something wrong with it...I would be unlikely to be fair"?

Really? You don't know me - yet you feel comfortable making potentially libellous assumptions?

You are better than that.

Erm ... even if you are completely honest and genuine, we still would not know you to be honest and genuine. 

Not knowing works both ways. Nothing libellous about that.

49 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It seems odd that something as innocuous as a windlass made for women and disabled people would cause so much emotional output.

I know that certain cars can get people all het up and criticism is something which must be very careful considered before uttering but a windlass?

Very odd.

If someone disses your boat and says its a worthless heap of scrap I suppose some people might be offended. Others would take it on the chin and hope for lower insurance premiums.

If I said my windlass was for sale for £75 and someone said they will give me a fiver for it I'll challenge them to a duel and lend them one of my Samurai swords for an even contest.

I'm not a woman or disabled, but I find the GoWindlass very useful. It's a good design, longer throw than the standard so even though I rarely need the ratchet, the added length makes lockworking easier. When I do need it, a couple of cranks with ratchet is often enough. My wife does use it more.

The Lockmaster, because of the weight, isn't really suitable for either of your categories, certainly not the disabled . I'm not sure where women came into it anyway - they're usually the ones doing the locks while the blokes sit on the back pretending they're in charge!

The Go seems to me to be, unusually for a technical tweak, a distinct improvement on the original design. Just expensive.

PS how much for the fork?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Very odd.

How much for the fork.

Yeah,i know you were expecting some idiot yo say that, and at a guess I reckon you thought that idiot would be me. 

I didn't want to disappoint. 

I'll take a matching knife too if you have one. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

How much for the fork.

Yeah,i know you were expecting some idiot yo say that, and at a guess I reckon you thought that idiot would be me. 

I didn't want to disappoint. 

I'll take a matching knife too if you have one. 

I can't sell that one as it is a family hair loom but have a small sack of others collected from charity shops so we could potentially do a deal. 

If you play your cards right the forks could be with you. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Always 

Cash is better than womens sanity products and takes up less space. 

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Always 

Must be worth a forktune 

Maybe a tuning fork 

I knew a poet once who was also quite an accomplished viola player. He refused to have a tuning fork. 

He also had a very tiny timing ticker device. 

Edited by magnetman
edit to remove shocking innuendo
  • Sad 1
  • Unimpressed 1
  • Angry 1