Dog advice

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

Try to see both parents or at least the mother. See the pup in its home and not in a car park somewhere. If the pup is from pedigree parents, ask for a copy of the breeding.  Don't be carried away with a sweat wee face ,😀

Make sure the pup looks lively and healthy with clean eyes and bum 

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

It's not really general boating but I'm sure I will get some good answers and they will have to become a boat dog so....

I'm looking to get a border terrier. How do I avoid getting one from a puppy farm?

I'd recommend this site (https://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/border-terrier), I've registered with them looking for a dog at some point and have received a few e-mail notifications from them of available dogs.

ETA just as an afterthought, the breeder that I obtained my last excellent dog from is registered on the site.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

It's not really general boating but I'm sure I will get some good answers and they will have to become a boat dog so....

I'm looking to get a border terrier. How do I avoid getting one from a puppy farm?

When we got our Jack, and our last we searched for JRT puppies available on the internet. 

We then asked if we could meet the puppies in the presence of the breeder, the mum and if poss dad too.

Both times we went to the breeders home to meet them before they were ready to come to us and collected them from the same address.

It is much easier to buy from a breeder than a rescue charity, as a charity may not like you living on a boat. I know as I looked into getting a rescue cat, and couldn't as a boat was considered to be unsuitable.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Not sure how I managed to post twice

Probably a good idea to ask a mod to merge both topics as you are getting advice, including duplicate advice on both threads you have started.

7 hours ago, M_JG said:

Probably a good idea to ask a mod to merge both topics as you are getting advice, including duplicate advice on both threads you have started.

Done - and a few posts which were duplicated across threads, hidden.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Peanut said:

It is much easier to buy from a breeder than a rescue charity, as a charity may not like you living on a boat. I know as I looked into getting a rescue cat, and couldn't as a boat was considered to be unsuitable.

That is my experience too.  If you have a home on land it is not a problem providing you can satisfy the rescue folk that it has an exercise area that is fenced etc. but they will not allow you a pet on a boat solely.

Screenshot_20231204-112618.png.590f041d44ff8bd51f33b96dd65754a7.png

12 hours ago, M_JG said:

When we got our Jack, and our last we searched for JRT puppies available on the internet. 

We then asked if we could meet the puppies in the presence of the breeder, the mum and if poss dad too.

Both times we went to the breeders home to meet them before they were ready to come to us and collected them from the same address.

This.

We got Sam from a breeder in Shropshire because they were happy to do show us the parents.

Initially we were looking for our fourth rescue dog, but were rejected by 8 charities because our house is adjacent to a canal with an unfenced edge to the canal. Despite my offers to put up temporary fencing if necessary (which had been an acceptable solution in the past for our previous rescue dog) they refused, so eventually we bought a pup from a breeder.

Here is our first photo of Sam and one of his parents.

Screenshot_20231204-112848.png

Edited by cuthound
To remove a full stop masquerading as a space.
  • Greenie 2

We always get a text on New Years Eve (Simon's birthday) from the breeders daughter asking how he's doing, where he's been this year etc etc,

Here he is on holiday in France last summer (when he had a poorly paw hence looking very sorry for himself.)

Simon France.JPG

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Cheshire cat wants a dog. 

My cat would like a dog companion as he loves to play,  and there is no reason not to get a cat to play with a dog, cats are intriguing animals and there are thousands in need of rescue.

I was always a dog person, working dogs, but now I'm not able to look after one I have got a  cat, they are excellent animals and adapt to boat life. They are clean animals, and don't need an overcoat on a wet day.

There may be a cat and a dog companion in a rescue centre.

42 minutes ago, LadyG said:

a  cat, they are excellent animals and adapt to boat life.

I know. We got one of our cats from a rescue centre. Both our cats lived aboard for nearly twenty years up until a couple of years ago. Both sadly gone now.

46 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My cat would like a dog companion as he loves to play,  and there is no reason not to get a cat to play with a dog, cats are intriguing animals and there are thousands in need of rescue.

I was always a dog person, working dogs, but now I'm not able to look after one I have got a  cat, they are excellent animals and adapt to boat life. They are clean animals, and don't need an overcoat on a wet day.

There may be a cat and a dog companion in a rescue centre.

Although the pic. above looks as if our JRT has a 'mouth in which butter wouldn't melt' he has a very strong prey instinct and him and cats....... well lets just say they don't get on.

You need to be careful if mixing cats and dogs in the same household.

Our daughter's lab George is the complete opposite.

This was last Xmas - (Harvey the cat in the pic. died this year.)

George & Harvey.JPG

Don't know about Cats, but Ollie tolerates certain four legged furry animals of a non-canine species. Wouldn't like to leave him alone with one, though... Especially when the rabbit hops off the dog bed leaving a diet of nutritious droppings...
image.png.cdbe29054e4693943d171f13345d023f.png

• Greenie 1

If it’s a border terrier then you need to go here and wait for a litter to be available.  Not sure if Betty Judge is still around but I believe her son ran the business also.  

Betty is / was the highest regarded breeder and judge in the border world. Dogs bred to the proper breed standard. Once they appeared in a couple of ads and films a lot of people jumped on the breed popularity unfortunately.  

Had ours for nearly 15 years and still miss him.  

http://www.plushcourt.com/Border-Terriers

Posts on Facebook say this place will home dogs on boats Welcome to Chilterns Dog Rescue Society - Chilterns Dog Rescue SocietyChilterns Dog Rescue Society

They even have a list of dogs Dog List - Chilterns Dog Rescue SocietyChilterns Dog Rescue Society

Edited by ditchcrawler
I like adding bits