Dog advice

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

Thanks for all the excellent advice. I shall try to ensure we meet both parents if possible. Doesn't have to be a border terrier but that is our first choice. We don't have any plans to breed so I'm not too worried about top notch KC registration. We do have a home on land so a rescue dog is a possibility. I'm thinking a smaller breed because our boat isn't huge. 

Some lovely photos. I shall revisit the links you have kindly posted once Christmas is out of the way.

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm sure when I first started living on boats about 25 years ago, perhaps 1 in 4 boats had a dog. Now it seems like every man and his dog has a dog.

Or maybe it's just because there are more boats?

More like every man and his dog has a boat🐶🐩🐕

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm sure when I first started living on boats about 25 years ago, perhaps 1 in 4 boats had a dog. Now it seems like every man and his dog has a dog.

Or maybe it's just because there are more boats?

Dog ownership has expanded considerably during and since the pandemic.

Which is now biting us (not literally) because lots didn't appreciate the responsibility and costs associated with dog ownership and are now trying to re-home them or give them up.

Our local rescue centre is literally full to bursting.

13 hours ago, M_JG said:

Dog ownership has expanded considerably during and since the pandemic.

Which is now biting us (not literally) because lots didn't appreciate the responsibility and costs associated with dog ownership and are now trying to re-home them or give them up.

Our local rescue centre is literally full to bursting.

Sad isn't it? :(

Our Syd is a rescue from someone who didn't realise the time, effort and expense in looking after a dog. He wasn't abused or beaten just left alone and malnourished. Even so that has left him with some issues that after 5.5 years have still not been resolved, mainly revolving around being left alone for short periods.

If we were to get another dog after Syd we would certainly look at rescue's again but we would also seriously consider a pup from a well regarded breeder. Far better chance of moulding a well rounded dog from a young age.

That said Syd is a character and certainly keeps us on our toes. Certainly not to be trusted around anything small and furry. He has turned into a good pub dog though and he loves travelling and exploring new places.

20230611_084217.jpg.44fad08655dbbbde47cdddce903ae5e1.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1