Electric slippers,

bizzard

Featured Posts

In my gliding days electric socks were a big thing, it's cold up there!

Powered by EverReady

21 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Sitting about in the boat in oold weather can bring on cold feet. Electric slippers are the thing to have. USB powered. about £16 on ebay or Amazon.  As depicted.

SAM_2090.JPG

I can see a drawback :)

Edited by LadyG

36 minutes ago, magnetman said:

One would not want the batteries catching fire in this scenario. 

Deep Trust in batteries needed. 

But do they have a proper BMS with suitable fuses and redundant temperature sensors?

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MtB said:

Or to paraphrase that term invented by Bill Gates for Win95...  Plug and Pray. 

They do the job either way though, the only difference is whether your feet get just nice and warm or *extremely* hot... 😉

6 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

My bike has heated grips, some newer ones have heated seats too. If its that cold then i use the car.

A hot water bottle strapped to the bikes saddle will keep your bum warm too.  A rubber one though, not an old stone type.

On 26/11/2023 at 06:20, Mike Hurley said:

My bike has heated grips, some newer ones have heated seats too. If its that cold then i use the car.

Heated grips are a wonderful thing on a bike, and did think about adding a heating pad to the seat but I tend to find that the one bit that stays warm is my backside.

On 24/11/2023 at 18:52, bizzard said:

Sitting about in the boat in oold weather can bring on cold feet. Electric slippers are the thing to have. USB powered. about £16 on ebay or Amazon.

On 24/11/2023 at 19:11, LadyG said:

I can see a drawback :)

You can get insoles for your current slippers. Mine were ebay £7 last year. Running the cables down the trouser legs is mildly annoying but only needs doing once a day.

Then you either need a USB power bank (so you get to choose the quality of battery, and not keep standing on it), which works nicely if you're out and standing about,

otherwise what I do is just plug in to boat power when I sit down.

If you stand up & forget, the plug pulls out easily enough.

One annoyance with this slipper/insole combo is that they'll sort of slip sideways when walking around, but it's not a big deal.

3 minutes ago, Sir Percy said:

Colonel Tom Parker could have come up with a feet-heating solution which would allow you to move about the cabin.

Not for those of you who suffer from incontinence.

Don't need the heated socks then, wee is warm... 😉

28 minutes ago, IanD said:

Don't need the heated socks then, wee is warm... 😉

I have a dim (possibly false) memory of reading in a volume of Spike Milligan's war memoirs, a description of a sergeant's advice to his squad for how to deal with extreme cold weather: to piss themselves.

• 2 months later...

A strange phenominon with my electric slippers. I misslaid one of them yesterday, ''the left foot one'', so just wore the right foot one. After a while strangely enough both feet were as as warm as each other although my left foot only had an old non heated slipper on it. Both feet had socks on. I checked the electric slipper on my right foot, working fine, element removed and nice and warm from the 5v USB socket. Now why was my left foot just as warm in an ordinary non heated slipper. I think this abnormality is due to the body's artery and vein circuits. which seem to be similar to the London underground map. The bloody circuit might go to the right leg and foot first and get heated by the electric slipper and as the blood in that hoof warms up it sort of instead of wasting warmth dispatches some of it via the blood circuit to the left leg and hoof to keep that one warm too, perhaps directly across via the old wedding tackle. Later I shall experment the opposite way round with an electric slipper on the left hoof and an ordinary non heated slipper on the right hoof, and then with no socks on.  🦶.