Electric slippers,

bizzard

Featured Posts

Slightly off topic, but when I worked 15 miles from home and my only form of transport was a motorbike in the winter I used to wrap myself in newspaper under the bike gear. It worked too. Not just for fish and chips. Strangely plain newsprint paper didn't work nearly as well - it needed the type on it.

My first car, 1946/9 Morris Minor, [split screen £40 cash]  had a Smith heater as an extra, but I did not realise it was set to summer setting, ie not over the exhaust, it blew icy cold air in to the car.

I borrowed a large pair of wellies and stuffed them with straw, plus numerous outer layers, I had to drive for most of the way with head out the window as it was icy fog. Probably not recommended now, or then!

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My first car, 1946/9 Morris Minor, [split screen £40 cash]  had a Smith heater as an extra, but I did not realise it was set to summer setting, ie not over the exhaust, it blew icy cold air in to the car.

I borrowed a large pair of wellies and stuffed them with straw, plus numerous outer layers, I had to drive for most of the way with head out the window as it was icy fog. Probably not recommended now, or then!

Those cars used the pre-war Morris 8 s/v engine with thermo syphon cooling,''no water pump'' In order for a heater to work a water pump was needed. This was a pump mounted on the engine by the fan belt, pivoted and spring loaded to keep it's big alloy driving wheel in contact with the outside surface of the fan belt which drove it and supplied hot water to the Smiths recerculary heater. Many old cars with thermo syphon cooling systems could have one fitted as an extra.  I fitted a few to old Ford 103E Pops ect years ago.

2 hours ago, manxmike said:

Slightly off topic, but when I worked 15 miles from home and my only form of transport was a motorbike in the winter I used to wrap myself in newspaper under the bike gear. It worked too. Not just for fish and chips. Strangely plain newsprint paper didn't work nearly as well - it needed the type on it.

It's why they used to hand out newspapers to the riders in the Tour de France and other races at the top of climbs, they'd stuff them under their jerseys before the descent to stop the windchill on the way down ;) 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Those cars used the pre-war Morris 8 s/v engine with thermo syphon cooling,''no water pump'' In order for a heater to work a water pump was needed. This was a pump mounted on the engine by the fan belt, pivoted and spring loaded to keep it's big alloy driving wheel in contact with the outside surface of the fan belt which drove it and supplied hot water to the Smiths recerculary heater. Many old cars with thermo syphon cooling systems could have one fitted as an extra.  I fitted a few to old Ford 103E Pops ect years ago.

Don't you mean E93a Ford Pop? My Dad's E93a had one fitted exactly as you describe.  

8 minutes ago, Slim said:

Don't you mean E93a Ford Pop? My Dad's nd E93a had one fitted exactly as you describe.  

That was the general term for them because they all the sit up and beg Fords shared the same or similar chassis and mechanics. But all the sit up and beg range of Fords had their own Ford identifying number too. 103E= Pops from 1953 to 1959. E83W 10cwt vans. 7W 8hp anglia. And later 100E which still used the 1172 s/v engine although modified. Lots more but I can't remember them all at the mo.

8 minutes ago, Slim said:

Don't you mean E93a Ford Pop? My Dad's E93a had one fitted exactly as you describe.  

usea

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

It's why they used to hand out newspapers to the riders in the Tour de France and other races at the top of climbs, they'd stuff them under their jerseys before the descent to stop the windchill on the way down ;) 

Same in the Tour de Yorkshire, only it's the fish and chips wrapped in the newspaper that keep you warm...

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Blizzard is on to something here. Heated clothing ought to be more efficient / cheaper than heating the whole boat or house). And it would work on deck too.

My Keis 12v motorcycle heated waistcoat certainly works a treat when I steer the boat in winter. 

On 17/02/2024 at 00:28, bizzard said:

And later 100E which still used the 1172 s/v engine although modified.

My Dad had one of them. Sidevalve but I don't recall the engine having thermosyphon cooling. But equally I don't remember it having a heater ether! But my main memory of it was the three speed gearbox with reverse where first gear was on my 4 door(!) Austin A35. That sure led to the occasional exciting moment at busy junctions when I borrowed his car! 

45 minutes ago, MtB said:

My Dad had one of them. Sidevalve but I don't recall the engine having thermosyphon cooling. But equally I don't remember it having a heater ether! But my main memory of it was the three speed gearbox with reverse where first gear was on my 4 door(!) Austin A35. That sure led to the occasional exciting moment at busy junctions when I borrowed his car! 

Ford modified the old e93a s/v 1172 engine for the 100e range by modifying the block for a water pump in the normal position, the reason was for the much lower, modern, body profile of the 100e. The valves were altered to adjustabe with lock nuts where as the old e93a had fixed clearance. but basically the same engine.   Heaters were again optional.  Three speed box on all the s/v engined cars.

Edited by bizzard

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Heaters were again optional. 

Well, to be fair to Mr Ford, he probably assumed owners of electric slippers wouldn't want to pay more for a vehicle with an unnecessary supplementary heater.

On 17/02/2024 at 00:06, Slim said:

Iit was green and curvaceous..

I went to see a Ford Popular, it was black, £10, no extras, eg no battery!

At that time the cheapest car in a showroom was £100, I was earning £4 pw.

Edited by LadyG