Nantwich lock sinking

MrsM

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It must of had a lot or water under the floor before it sank looking at the plimsoll line!

Or, perhaps it was a recent purchase by the current owner, and it had previously been a liveaboard.

An extreme example of the common effect when someone moves off a boat and takes all they junk with them, and the boat rises 3" higher in the water. But in this case it was 6"!

25 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I don't think the Springer in the first photo is the one that has sunk; roof layout looks wrong.

I think it might be - they both have that cross pole at the back for presumably a pram cover, plus the big hatch in the front where the pump hoses go in, plus the front fender is the same. 

I don't know why RCR would show a photo of the refloated boat if it wasn't the same one sunk in the lock. The pictures of the boat with the RCR team working on it in the lock sure seem to show the same boat to me.

Screenshot_20231112-123845.png

20 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I don't know why RCR would show a photo of the refloated boat if it wasn't the same one sunk in the lock. The pictures of the boat with the RCR team working on it in the lock sure seem to show the same boat to me.

Screenshot_20231112-123845.png

Ha! Do not tie to lock ladders! There is a bit of strain on that strop, bent the handrail.

I remember a Springer cilled in Batchworth lock on the GU about 20 yars ago. The Fire Brigade came and secured it with a Tirfor winch and it got exactly the same bend in the handrail.

A narrow boat went over the other day at Maidenhead. Got caught on the concrete walkway during fluctuating levels and rolled. 

nasty ! (image stolen from facebook)

IMG_20231111_095720.jpg.af5603330695d1a21ff3fadbb12c04fb.jpg

CRT said lock 4 on the Middlewich.   In the late 60s I had a hireboat sunk by trapping the rudder in one of the Llangollen locks, it was aircooled so flooded through the air outlet.   Luckily the pound below was short so I drained it and brought a pump to remove the water to refloat it.   BW never knew it had happened as it was October so the canal was quiet.

• Greenie 1

I suppose this is part of the reason that fenders are required. Its not all about damaging other boats. A starn fender the right size makes it far less likely a rudder can become trapped. 

Although to be fair the fender itself could become trapped but that would probably hold the gates open far enough to be obvious. 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Or, perhaps it was a recent purchase by the current owner, and it had previously been a liveaboard.

An extreme example of the common effect when someone moves off a boat and takes all they junk with them, and the boat rises 3" higher in the water. But in this case it was 6"!

My late friend used to live on a boat in South Dock. He reckoned the opposite happened when he re-married and his new wife moved aboard... :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I suppose this is part of the reason that fenders are required. Its not all about damaging other boats. A starn fender the right size makes it far less likely a rudder can become trapped. 

Although to be fair the fender itself could become trapped but that would probably hold the gates open far enough to be obvious. 

1) What the hell were they doing at the back of a lock?

2a) If they knew they were at the back, why don't they have a fender to guard the rudder?

2b) Why not be sure to turn the rudder to one side, to eliminate the risk of it being trapped in the gates?

Would be interesting to know what led to this accident, as in the details of how the rudder became trapped, eg was it a single hander who was off the boat at the time?

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

1) What the hell were they doing at the back of a lock?

2a) If they knew they were at the back, why don't they have a fender to guard the rudder?

2b) Why not be sure to turn the rudder to one side, to eliminate the risk of it being trapped in the gates?

Would be interesting to know what led to this accident, as in the details of how the rudder became trapped, eg was it a single hander who was off the boat at the time?

Sitting at the back on those locks works quite well for a lot of boats.

But yes - if you are going to sit at the tail you put the tiller over hard away from the steering position

• Greenie 1

Last time this type of accident was discussed, I mentioned a similar incident that we encountered when us and a friend were tootling up the T&M, I had gone down the lock and he was on his way down.

As the lock emptied the boat started to go down with the water, then the backend stopped descending, but the front end continued to drop. 

His 'short moring line' which he kept attached on the stern had fallen off and into the lock, getting trapped between the lock gates when they closed.

A quick bit of paddle closing and reopening the top gate paddles and the disaster was averted - JUST.

He didn't leave the mooring line on the back deck from then onwards.

Its not just the rudder that can get trapped !