DIY/Builders merchants canal side

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Agreed ^^

get someone in,

tell them what you want,

get a quote,

and let them source the materials and fit. 

Let them earn some easy money buying at discount and passing the retail price back to you 😃

Makes for happy workers. 

Is this for me?

Because I have been trying to get someone to do the work on numerous occasions.

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yea, 

so what happens?

do they never turn up?

or you simply can’t find anyone?

I've never had a quote, one apparently competent person did spend two hours measuring, and promised to quote. I heard no more .

Most have never got back to me. 

I want to see the stuff before I buy it, that's perfectly normal.

I don't know how thick the cabinet ply should be, or what facing. What is on is not thick enough to hang solid oak kitchen doors with soft close hinges, without bodging , if doing it myself I'd have to bodge it, but it would be nice to have it done properly.

There are people who could do the job, they just don't want to make the effort 

Its a three day job. 

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've never had a quote, one competent person did spend two hours measuring, and promised to quote.

I wonder why???

I would not either!

Many times have I tried to help only to be insulted.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've never had a quote, one apparently competent person did spend two hours measuring, and promised to quote. I heard no more .

I don't know how thick the cabinet ply should be, or what facing. What is on is not thick enough to hang solid oak kitchen doors with soft close hinges, without bodging , if doing it myself I'd have to bodge it, but it would be nice to have it done properly.

Its a three day job. 

Yes, they ought to be able to show you samples, either to make a choice from or what they recommend you use. 

or you could provide them with a sample of materials?

I don’t quite understand but doors/hinges ought to be screwed to the frame work/carcass not ply panels. 
🤷‍♀️

If you want to hang good quality oak doors maybe you need to start a fresh with good units?

But hey, that’s what you need to ask the tradesman(person) if you can find one 😃

Have you got this sort of thing going on?

CF5B89D7-6EBE-480E-9A37-C63B9CCB5ABA.jpeg.aed363a39e48aca8c56e8f3d5e3f16fe.jpeg

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Yes, they ought to be able to show you samples, either to make a choice from or what they recommend you use. 

or you could provide them with a sample of materials?

I don’t quite understand but doors/hinges ought to be screwed to the frame work/carcass not ply panels. 
🤷‍♀️

If you want to hang good quality oak doors maybe you need to start a fresh with good units?

But hey, that’s what you need to ask the tradesman(person) if you can find one 😃

Have you got this sort of thing going on?

CF5B89D7-6EBE-480E-9A37-C63B9CCB5ABA.jpeg.aed363a39e48aca8c56e8f3d5e3f16fe.jpeg

No.

One cannot buy new units, it's custom build.

Not in a good way or I'd not need to find a joiner.

Currently the doors hang on the ply  with a flat brass hinge, which is what was used before soft close hinges came along. 

The trouble is the opening in the  ply is the wrong size for modern doors. The old ply could be replaced with new stuff which has a veneer, and the cut out would fit modern doors.

Once the worktop is out the rest will need replaced 

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Its a three day job. 

Given that your level of expertise is that you don't even know thick the ply needs to be how do you arrive  at the statement "it's a three day job"

Edited by Slim

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No.

One cannot buy new units, it's custom build.

Not in a good way or I'd not need to find a joiner.

Currently the doors hang on the ply  with a flat brass hinge, which is what was used before soft close hinges came along. 

The trouble is the opening in the  ply is the wrong size for modern doors. The old ply could be replaced with new stuff which has a veneer, and the cut out would fit modern doors.

Once the worktop is out the rest will need replaced 

This is sounding more and more like a job for someone who has the right tools and is experienced in fitting kitchens in boats. Having watched an expert fitting a new kitchen in our house, I have a lot of respect for them with all the measuring and lining things up with drain pipes and taps etc.  On a boat it would be even harder as you have to cope with sloping sides and the boat sloping from bow to stern. 

Find a boatyard who can do the job, make your way there and be prepared to do without kitchen facilities for as long as it takes. Which is unlikely to be days 🙂 

There are lots of places that will make replacement kitchen doors to custom sizes and custom finishes.  You may be able to just get new doors made and screw them on to the existing units.

Our replacement kitchen on the boat took about 2 weeks spread out over a couple of months.  It consisted of 4 cupboards, a couple of drawers, a space for a fridge and a built in cooker.

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

This is sounding more and more like a job for someone who has the right tools and is experienced in fitting kitchens in boats. Having watched an expert fitting a new kitchen in our house, I have a lot of respect for them with all the measuring and lining things up with drain pipes and taps etc.  On a boat it would be even harder as you have to cope with sloping sides and the boat sloping from bow to stern. 

Find a boatyard who can do the job, make your way there and be prepared to do without kitchen facilities for as long as it takes. Which is unlikely to be days 🙂 

That is what I am doing.

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That is what I am doing.

Sorry, I obviously wrongly, got the impression that you were buying the stuff and doing it yourself. If you are getting someone to do it, you don't need to concern yourself about whether  the wood supplier will cut holes in the worktop for you. 

You need a good kitchen fitter.  Show him what you want and ask him to do the rest.  

Offering to supply materials is a complete turn-off. As is telling them it takes three days.   Tell them what you what. Ask for a price.  Leave the rest to them.  

If you insist on sourcing your own then what you want is 18mm. That’s the thickness of virtually every cabinet on the market. You’ll mostly get no options. Other possibly than softwood or hardwood.  It will have filler, voids, and be generally rubbish.  

Premium quality is birch-faced ply.  Expect to pay through the nose for it but it won’t have the above issues. 

Your biggest issue at the moment is that people who are rubbish are free tomorrow.  The rest of us are booked solid for months. If you do the above and accept that you’ll be paying top money to attract someone to work a couple of their weekends off then you might get someone but supplying materials, stating how long it will take and that it’s on a boat will have them running for the hills unfortunately.  It’s a sellers market for decent tradesmen.  

44 minutes ago, haggis said:

Doesn’t need to be a boat fitter.  Top quality kitchen fitter copes with a great deal more than sloping sides and uneven floors. Child’s play. 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Slim said:

Maybe not but it was a reasonable question.

I am afraid, the more LadyG posts, the more I get the impression that she is the sort of potential customer who tries to tell any tradesperson what to do, how to do it and what materials they should use. Absolutely guaranteed to ensure they avoid the job in any way possible.

Although I may be willing to help in an informal way as a one off to get her out of the mire, there is no way I would undertake any work for her on a paid for basis.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 3

No @Tony Brooks I am not the kind you describe. 

I don't complain when someone does the job badly, I just walk away, however there seems to be so many people who are not professional, in fact they are bodgers, that I am far more cynical nowadays. 

I can tell a good job from a bad one.

Very few seem to discuss what is the best way to do a job, so I am forced to instruct them. Good people are often employed by boat businesses.

There are some who are not employed because they are unemployable. 

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't complain when someone does the job badly,

I think someone must have hacked your account and been posting under your name for the last 5 years - it was certainly someone who regularly complained, everything from Solicitors to Estate Agents, to electricians to ...........................

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

There are lots of places that will make replacement kitchen doors to custom sizes and custom finishes.  You may be able to just get new doors made and screw them on to the existing units.

Our replacement kitchen on the boat took about 2 weeks spread out over a couple of months.  It consisted of 4 cupboards, a couple of drawers, a space for a fridge and a built in cooker.

It the existing carcasses and worktops that needs replacing, doors are easy peasy

Anyway, I'll have a look at the timber place on Monday and see if there is some nice stuff 

I don't intend to buy any tomorrow 

I don't intend to cut it myself.

I just want make sure I end up with a nice job using materials I have seen and have agreed to using.

I will find a competent person to do the fitting.

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

When these places say they will cut, do they cut out the holes for sinks and for cupboards?

Ty

Thats is normally what a kitchen fitter does

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I see a recipe for disaster.

Sourcing your own wood and equipment etc,

Getting a 3rd party to cut wood

Getting someone else to install everything

WW3 will start when the sink doesn't fit in the hole, when the cooker doesnt line up with the gas supply, ......................................

Of course - it is never the fault of the person who ordered the materails !

Its best not to micro-manage (thats when you upset the workman and he walks off leaving a party done job), tell him what colours, designs etc that you want, let him source the materials (he'll get a trade discount so he'll make a bit more money, even if he charges you the retail prices) let him cut to fit and let him install.

Only one person to blame when it doesn't work.

I see a post about another useless trades person who didn't finish the job coming soon 

17 hours ago, LadyG said:

Its a three day job. 

^^^ This ^^^

Anyone telling me how long the job will take, will instantly find themselves looking for another tradesperson. The bloody sheer arrogance of it!

Presumably you told them is was a £2,000 job too, as you've mentioned on here several times.

Its no surprise no-one will quote. Or estimate.

Its not just the job we size up when visiting 'to quote', its the customer and their expectations too. 

Edited by MtB
Grammar

43 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thats is normally what a kitchen fitter does

I see a post about another useless trades person who didn't finish the job coming soon 

More assumptions.

No I have not discussed the price.

I am going to look at a place that sells wood.

I am going to two nearby businesses who fit boats, that is their business. They know I am coming to see them. They know I want the galley sorted 

They are right beside the place that sells wood .

If they cant replacece two small worktops and four doors in two days how long do you thing it will take.

The guy who has seen it said 2 to 3 daya.

I don't know what else I can do to get the job done.

I certainly won't bother posting on here again

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

More assumptions.

No I have not discussed the price.

I am going to look at a place that sells wood.

I am going to two nearby businesses who fit boats, that is their business. They know I am coming to see them. They know I want the galley sorted 

They are right beside the place that sells wood .

If they cant replacece two small worktops and four doors in two days how long do you thing it will take.

The guy who has seen it said 2 to 3 daya.

I don't know what else I can do to get the job done.

I certainly won't bother posting on here again

Previously you said:

“It the existing carcasses and worktops thatneeds replacing, doors are easy peasy”

Now your saying it’s not the carcasses it’s two small worktops and four “easy peasy” doors, you wonder why people doubt you, you do yourself no favours.

Yes please don’t post anything else as your often too confusing to understand.