A plea to dog owners on the cut (and general)

DShK

Featured Posts

• DShK changed the title to A plea to dog owners on the cut (and general)

If a dog not on a lead attacked my dog that was on a lead, the attacking dog would get a free swimming lesson. A second attack would get it a free underwater swimming lesson.

I know its not the dogs fault, but your dog should not suffer. 

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, DShK said:

Please put your dogs on a damn lead. As everyone is I'm sure aware a specific breed in in the news at the moment for attacking people. I don't think it's just a breed thing.

My small boy (corgi) has been attacked 4 times in the past few months on the towpath or in a marina. He was just picked up and shaken by the back of the neck by a much larger dog, like a rabbit. Owner not in sight.

If your dog is not extremely well trained, has poor recall or shows ANY aggression ever. Keep them on a damn lead when there is a chance to meet other dogs. Keep them in line of sight at all times. I keep mine on a lead because he does not always like other dogs. I can't do much if yours comes running over out of your control. I do not want to have to harm your dog to save mine. I have already had to kick several dogs in the head. These were not the stereotypical "aggressive" breeds.

"He's usually friendly!" is not an excuse.

I can't bear the thought on my lovely boy being seriously hurt by another dog:

image.png.0f283c4871ef9feb78cf1ce089baf45d.png

Edit: sorry if the wrong place to post this. Move it if needed! 

As a dog owner I and my friends hear it all too often "he just wants to play" when their dog comes bounding up to mine.  If I get the chance my response is "how would you like it if I rushed up to you and started being over friendly with you?". These are owners who usually have virtually no control of their dog and the idea of recalling it is foreign to them. 

In the last couple of years when my health has not been brilliant I find that if a  dog rushes up to me my dog will "see it off" as she protects me. She doesn't touch the other dog but the barking and flashing teeth get the message across 🙂 

• Greenie 3

My little whippet x who I had from 1989 to 2005 including ten yars on a traveling narrow boat was very good with other dogs. Never any aggression shown apart from two occasions. 

Once when a large boxer started on her, the fight progressed and she took part of the boxer's ear off and held it in her teeth. Clever. The boxer (I was friends with the owner and he did laugh) never messed with her again. We were in his house so it was very reasonable for the boxer to defend the territory at the time. 

Second time was another boater who ad a big Japanese fighting dog on the towpath and said "You'd better watch out as my dog can be a bit nasty with little ones". My little whippet walked up to the fighting dog and it suddenly looked all sheepish and went back to its boat. 

.Amusing times. 

Don't underestimate any dog.  

but yes these days there are too many idiots with idiot dogs about. 

Just a little whippet x on a string out of Battersea dogs home but no messing with that one. 

IMG_20230921_161734.jpg.75ce475ac68d85897c37dd19a9c91204.jpg

Edited by magnetman
  • Love 2

I told a pair of men to put their dogs on a lead after they had chased my cat up tree. They did not even have leads, these were quite big dogs and obviously did exactly what they wanted. 

For those who want to know how to kill a dog which has taken hold,  take the front leg and put it at right angles to the heart. I haven't tried this, I'd go for throwing in the canal, but if they don't have a collar it's going to be difficult.

Throwing a coat over their heads would be my first approach.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Although the marina where we moor has a "all dogs on lead" policy there are one or two owners who appear to think the rule does not apply to them. Earlier this year an out of control spaniel bit our dog on the back. Fortunately, our dog was wearing a coat so her skin was not damaged. All I got was "Oh - he's usually friendly." Yes right! No apology.

I reported this incident to the office.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, haggis said:

I have heard that grabbing a dog by it's b*** (manly bits) makes them let go if  they have hold of another dog. Never tried it though 🙂 

Not sure I would want to try it :)

First choice would be grab collar and twist, hard, it's worked twice for me, once on a doberman and once on a staffy type 

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I told a pair of men to put their dogs on a lead after they had chased my cat up tree. They did not even have leads, these were quite big dogs and obviously did exactly what they wanted. 

For those who want to know how to kill a dog which has taken hold,  take the front leg and put it at right angles to the heart. I haven't tried this, I'd go for throwing in the canal, but if they don't have a collar it's going to be difficult.

Throwing a coat over their heads would be my first approach.

Right angles in what manner? I don't want to have to kill a dog but if it's my dog or theirs I'm gonna pick mine. I guess the response entirely depends on what the dog is doing. It can all happen quite quick with a lot of movement.

22 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Although the marina we moor has a "all dogs on lead" policy there are one or two owners who appear to think the rule does not apply to them. Earlier this year an out of control spaniel bit our dog on the back. Fortunately, our dog was wearing a coat so her skin was not damaged. All I got was " Oh - he's usually friendly." Yes right! No apology.

I reported this incident to the office.

There was a woman in my old marina who had two whopping great dogs. If they decided they wanted off the lead, they were off the lead. One was too big for her let alone two. Twice one of them just let itself off the lead by running off out of her hand. I had to kick that dog in the head to keep it away from my (now in my arms) pup. Only after several instances like this did they begin to learn.

well said DSHK. my wife often walks our little Yorkshire terrorist down the the very popular towpath near our mooring.  We know our dog is not very good with other dogs and protective of SWMBO, therefore we have it on a lead and will stop and keep it under control when other dogs approach (and are using the distraction method to train his behaviour).  When ever a dog bounds up to him off lead and our dog starts getting aggressive we politely ask the owner to put their dog on a lead.  in line with several posters above , all we usually get is 'its your dog thats the problem' and a tirade of abuse usually follows....  never your quite right we should have had our dog on a lead/under proper control.... 

We've never been in the situation of our dog  being attacked, but if it was I bet if will be an off lead dog 'thats never done that before'.... and i'm not sure what we would or could do... 

• Greenie 1

Its mad shit when you get stories about big nasty dogs "loves kids but couldn't eat a whole one" suddenly violently killing someone. 

I assume its a Darwin Award thing. 

Very odd behaviour apparently people sometimes put those awful Bully XL vermin close to their own kids. What are these idiots thinking ?? 

Weird but then I suppose if your parents are that thick maybe you are better off dead anyway. 

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Not sure I would want to try it :)

First choice would be grab collar and twist, hard, it's worked twice for me, once on a doberman and once on a staffy type 

Not sure all the tales of grabbing the B**** or sticking a finger up the dogs A*** actually work. 

But getting a rope or similar around the neck and twisting tight will always work....it sets the dog's gag reflex off and they always open their mouth when that happens. 

• Greenie 4

Just now, booke23 said:

Not sure all the tales of grabbing the B**** or sticking a finger up the dogs A*** actually work. 

But getting a rope or similar around the neck and twisting tight will always work....it sets the dog's gag reflex off and they always open their mouth when that happens. 

Yes this is what the handling poles do isn't it. There is a noose at the end which is tightened down. The mouth opens and also you deprive the animal of oxygen so it shuts down. 

12 bore might be better but could cause problems later. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its mad shit when you get stories about big nasty dogs "loves kids but couldn't eat a whole one" suddenly violently killing someone. 

Very odd behaviour apparently people sometimes put those awful Bully XL vermin close to their own kids. What are these idiots thinking ?? 

Weird but then I suppose if your parents are that thick maybe you are better off dead anyway. 

Harsh but fair 🙂

14 minutes ago, DShK said:

Right angles in what manner? I don't want to have to kill a dog but if it's my dog or theirs I'm gonna pick mine. I guess the response entirely depends on what the dog is doing. It can all happen quite quick with a lot of movement.

I seem to recall this old tale doing the rounds when i was at school in the early 80's, probably from my mate who had a paper round and had to deal with several houses with big dogs. The idea being when the dog jumped at you, you grabbed a front leg in each hand and pulled them apart sharpish allegedly splitting the dog's heart. I always assumed it was a load of rubbish, who has the presence of mind or technique to pull that off for a start.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I was on you tube yesterday, take a look at how many people have dogs, often pit bulls in the US playing with toddlers :rolleyes: absolutely insane.

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I read, on reddit, the first hand account of a woman who a few months ago had her 18 month old, that was being babysat, killed by a dog like this. You could tell from how she wrote that she was a broken person and would never recover from it. That's basically two lives taken. Owners should be legally responsibly for the actions of their dogs, as if they had done it themselves.

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Perhaps there is a good hitch for that? 🙃

I read a well researched article recently about Bully dogs and apparently the reason why they suddenly become aggressive and attack other dogs and people is because of a gene many inherit

There was a dog , Rambo, in America which had been aggressive but because he had the heavy build which was sought after he was used at stud indiscriminately and in fact his sperm was frozen and is still being used. There was even breeding with close relatives - brother/sister,  father / daughter etc which increased the chance of a dog having this gene

When the breed was imported to the UK about 2014 the dogs brought in had the Rambo gene and because there were not so many of the breed in this country there was much close relative breeding. 

Research has shown that this gene can cause a dog which is normally placid to suddenly see red and attack.

When I see photos of children with one of these dogs my blood  runs cold after reading this well researched article.

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

44 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I seem to recall this old tale doing the rounds when i was at school in the early 80's, probably from my mate who had a paper round and had to deal with several houses with big dogs. The idea being when the dog jumped at you, you grabbed a front leg in each hand and pulled them apart sharpish allegedly splitting the dog's heart. I always assumed it was a load of rubbish, who has the presence of mind or technique to pull that off for a start.

I really doubt it would split the heart, but yanking the front legs apart violently might result in dislocated joints or broken ribs. That might cause some damage, but a dog in full fight or flight might just carry on with what it was doing.

• Greenie 1

Our Jack is soft as anything and I am pretty sure he wouldnt harm another dog, but if there are other dogs about his recall is hopeless as all he wants to do is play, so to us the simplest solution is just to keep him on a lead when in public, meaning if he was to show any out of character aggession I can control him.

(I also use a 'proper' lead as I once had a retracting one fail fully extended meaning I couldnt reel him in).

Screenshot_20230921-184048_Photos.jpg

The idea that sticking a finger up a dogs backside will stop it fighting is not entirely true - however, some breeds will 'lock on' when fighting and the favorite point is to lock on round the other dogs throat. Not only will this obviously cause tissue damage there is a real danger of the attacked dog being choked to death in a very short time. (This is how the big cats kill their prey). There is very little chance of opening the dogs jaws once it has locked on, but 'gatting' as it is known, will 99% make the dog release. After attempting this, please wash your hands.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Our Jack is soft as anything and I am pretty sure he wouldnt harm another dog, but if there are other dogs about his recall is hopeless as all he wants to do is play, so to us the simplest solution is just to keep him on a lead when in public, meaning if he was to show any out of character aggession I can control him.

(I also use a 'proper' lead as I once had a retracting one fail fully extended meaning I couldnt reel him in).

This is the way, as even if your boy is harmless, you don't know how another dog will react in his presence.

The attack today was because the dog ran up to my dog, my dog did not like this (as many dogs don't when on the lead) and tried to snarl him off. The dog then reacted viscously...