"Medium" length stern button

IanD

Featured Posts

I recall some low piling on the Grand union where a good tee stud on a real boat would be quite a way above. 

The drain cutout for the front well deck was just the right height. 

Ratchet straps can be really good. 

Worth a try. 

A number of yars ago I was ticketed by the CRT may have been BW at the time for ratchet strapping a heavy barge to a piece of buddleia growing out of the towpath..

It was against some sort of byelaw but at the end of the day the plant knew what it was doing and provided a very secure attachment point. 

I doubt the stones were happy.

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I recall some low piling on the Grand union where a good tee stud on a real boat would be quite a way above. 

The drain cutout for the front well deck was just the right height. 

Ratchet straps can be really good. 

Worth a try. 

A number of yars ago I was ticketed by the CRT may have been BW at the time for ratchet strapping a heavy barge to a piece of buddleia growing out of the towpath..

It was against some sort of byelaw but at the end of the day the plant knew what it was doing and provided a very secure attachment point. 

I doubt the stones were happy.

This obviously isn't a real boat then, the tee stud is *far* too low... 😉

hasty.jpg

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

She looks very nice, I like the paint job. Is that an Aintree shell?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Had to do it😂

Wilson I think. 

Apparently Jonathan Wilson did the steelwork for this Thames launch which I find rather pleasing. A lot of filler is likely but its a nice craft to my eye 

Others will differ of course. 

IMG_20230906_153548.thumb.jpg.d790d65155920bbb697b881405a61faf.jpg

1 minute ago, MtB said:

I like that vertical rain groove under the handrail cutout. 

My boat gets ugly vertical rain stains on the sides in that location.

The handrails should have bridges. Someone is going to fall in. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Mine have bridges. Carp builds up behind them causing pooling behind the handrails. Next boat I get built (if ever) will have them handrails on sticks like on Springers, or HASTY.

The knuckle cracker yarwoods type are okay. I quite like 1 inch round tube welded onto upstands. Something to hold onto without compromising one's wrist is always handy. 

As the actress said to the bishop. 

My country estate boat is a canal boat of sorts and has the tubular hand rails.

Its not an ordinary boat though.

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Wilson I think. 

Apparently Jonathan Wilson did the steelwork for this Thames launch which I find rather pleasing. A lot of filler is likely but its a nice craft to my eye 

Others will differ of course. 

IMG_20230906_153548.thumb.jpg.d790d65155920bbb697b881405a61faf.jpg

I think @IanD's was made by Sargent Wilson😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

17 minutes ago, booke23 said:

She looks very nice, I like the paint job. Is that an Aintree shell?

It’s a Tim Tyler, I’m sure @IanD will be composing a “War & Peace” post as we read, to tell us all about it, after the Aintree shell question😂😂😂😂

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It’s also a subliminal nod to a traditional cabin length maybe?

Yes it is -- but also set by the desire to have a couple of feet between the roof rail and the open sliding hatch to allow walking across the roof and a place to fit the cellular antenna and cooker hood mushroom vent, solar panels start in front of the rail. Lots of factors to consider...

Shell was built by Tim Tyler, basic concept was mine but a lot of the details came from Ricky at Finesse (e.g. bow cabin, roof rail/rain groove), it was a collaborative design really --  I had ideas and either he told me why they wouldn't work or how to change them so they did. Paint scheme was also decided between us, I wanted something which paid homage to traditional schemes but was a bit more modern and less fussy, Ricky made some suggestions to make it look better. We're both happy with the result... 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yes it is. Shell was built by Tim Tyler, basic concept was mine but a lot of the details came from Ricky at Finesse (e.g. bow cabin, roof rail/rain groove), it was a collaborative design really --  I had ideas and either he told me why they wouldn't work or how to change them so they did. Paint scheme was also joint, I wanted something which paid homage to traditional schemes but was a bit more modern and less fussy, Ricky made some suggestion to make it look better. We're both happy with the result... 🙂

All the shell features have been being made on boats by the builder for the last umpteen years, nothing is new, you just tell them what you want and Tim does it. Have a look around the yard most have these features. Nothing new, have a look in the top shed and you’ll see a slipper stern narrow with a Shilling rudder, everything has been done many many times before.

10 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

All the shell features have been being made on boats by the builder for the last umpteen years, nothing is new, you just tell them what you want and Tim does it. Have a look around the yard most have these features. Nothing new, have a look in the top shed and you’ll see a slipper stern narrow with a Shilling rudder, everything has been done many many times before.

Do you really think I'm not aware of that?

There are some things on the boat that AFAIK have not been done before, but I'm not going to bother going into that because even though it might be useful in future for those open-minded enough I'm just fed up with the endless carping and nit-picking criticism about everything and anything.

All this reminds me why -- in spite of several requests -- I decided not to do a build blog. The sheer endless bloody negativism on CWDF -- especially to anything new or different -- is just depressing.

If you want evidence, just look at where this thread has gone when all I originally asked was if anyone knew where I could get a "medium-length" stern button... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 3

29 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you want evidence, just look at where this thread has gone when all I originally asked was if anyone knew where I could get a "medium-length" stern button... 😞

I did attempt to answer that question for you...

Alec

On 14/09/2023 at 15:43, IanD said:

This might seem like a strange request, but does anyone know a source for a "medium-length" stern button -- in between the "short" (about 8") and "long" (about 14") ones that everyone seems to supply?

Don't really want/need the longer one (rudder sticks out less than normal, trying to avoid lifting the button in locks like Salterhebble) but the short one doesn't stick out quite far enough to protect the rudder against hitting a cill, see photo. Like Goldilock's porridge, something in between would be *just* right... 😉

stern button.jpg

Try contacting Victoria at the Boatyard Hilperton, she makes fenders.

1 hour ago, agg221 said:

I did attempt to answer that question for you...

Alec

Yes you did -- thank you.

8 minutes ago, Drayke said:

Try contacting Victoria at the Boatyard Hilperton, she makes fenders.

Thanks, will do that.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Isn't that a newish one

Yes, but it's a fairly accurate replica of a steam-powered tunnel tug -- which many would say is far more "traditional" than ex-working boats with the holds converted to living space instead of being filled with cargo.

And of course when loaded they'd have had less than a foot of freeboard so the T-stud would be far lower anyway, not sitting four feet above water level as was implied to be desirable... 😉

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, Cheshire cat said:

If you haven't got your button sorted out I'm sure these guys can supply you. They make them for everyone else including boat hire companies, 

A new button awaits

They also make thousands of those rubber fenders that get wrapped around the prop

Thanks, I looked at them -- I think they're actually the supplier to Finesse going by the attachment points, they do the short one (that I've got now) and the long one I might swap to, but don't seem to do anything in between -- at least not off-the-shelf. Maybe they'll do a custom one if I ask nicely...

The prop fenders are quite interesting as they encourage people to engage with the weed hatch rather than ignoring it. 

I personally think weed hatches should be welded shut under the BS scheme but I suppose in a number of different ways they can prove useful to some. 

Much better if they are extended to deck level. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

The prop fenders are quite interesting as they encourage people to engage with the weed hatch rather than ignoring it. 

I personally think weed hatches should be welded shut under the BS scheme but I suppose in a number of different ways they can prove useful to some. 

Much better if they are extended to deck level. 

Mine is... 😉

(and yes this means a long reach down to the prop, swings and roundabouts...)

Edited by IanD