About rivers?

cj1234

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Do we know what length his boat is? It may be too long for Keadby.

Based on @mrsmelly's experience, it would be possible to get a 70' narrowboat to Leeds, as long as it didn't go on to the L&L. The limiting factor is Thorne lock, rather than Keadby, but though short, it is very wide, so a 70' narowboat can go through diagonally. A longer than 60' wide beam would be problematic.

Edit: @David Mack has given the boat dimensions, which are going to preclude using the T&M canal, so the OP is either going to have to use a lorry, or brave the Trent.

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Based on @mrsmelly's experience, it would be possible to get a 70' narrowboat to Leeds, as long as it didn't go on to the L&L. The limiting factor is Thorne lock, rather than Keadby, but though short, it is very wide, so a 70' narowboat can go through diagonally. A longer than 60' wide beam would be problematic.

Is this still the case now that the bottom gates can no longer be independantly operated but have to be operated together?

1 minute ago, Alway Swilby said:

Is this still the case now that the bottom gates can no longer be independantly operated but have to be operated together?

Good question, the answer to which I don't know. Not been through there for a while and didn't know the control logic had been changed.

2 hours ago, thomas.simmons said:

The river you would come back on from Nottingham to Leeds is the River Trent. Nottingham is situated on the banks of the River Trent, and as you travel north towards Leeds, you would follow the course of the River Trent for a portion of the journey. This river flows through both Nottingham and eventually into the Humber Estuary, which is to the east of Leeds.

Please don't confuse him by mentioning the Humber Estuary which is East of Leeds, as it’s not part of the easiest way to Leeds. Coming in off the Trent at Keadby is his easiest way, apart from getting it put on a Hi-Ab truck and putting it in Bingley, as he mentioned in a previous post.

47 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Good question, the answer to which I don't know. Not been through there for a while and didn't know the control logic had been changed.

New gates, new simplified control panel, like a few new panels along the S&K swing bridges. Both Lock gates now work together and not independently, so no more 70ft’s boats can pass through Thorne lock. See new panel below:.

41C5A368-76DF-450A-A4F1-FBF25C2B864F.jpeg.f3703417ec576bcde2a77d6337c806e4.jpeg

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 2

34 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

If that is now the case then I cant remember if that made a difference?? I think we had to operate them seperately to enable passage. I suppose this is an example of an " improvement " that means they cannot any longer be used lol. 

• Greenie 1

I'd have thought the Trent would be dodgy this time of year for an already nervous newcomer on an unfamiliar boat. Must admit I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - caught on it once in flood and scared the life out of me, dodgy engine and all. If I were the OP I'd either stick it on a lorry or hire one of the pro boatmovers to take it and be certain of having a boat at the end of the trip.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'd have thought the Trent would be dodgy this time of year for an already nervous newcomer on an unfamiliar boat. Must admit I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - caught on it once in flood and scared the life out of me, dodgy engine and all. If I were the OP I'd either stick it on a lorry or hire one of the pro boatmovers to take it and be certain of having a boat at the end of the trip.

Either way he needs to spend time making sure the boat has a clean tank of diesel, engine serviced at a boatyard or hire base, spare alternator belt and has had some "sea trials". In

He needs to check the weed hatch and close it firmly, make sure the seal is in decent condition  (prevents sinking!).

After servicing the engine take the boat out and give it a good blast, make sure the engine hole is clean and dry, check that water is not coming  in to the boat in alarming quantities.

Check the starter battery is charging,   check the domestic batteries are holding charge overnight.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A professional boatmover would have a high threshold for ensuring the boat is in fit and proper condition for the trip. That’s how they’d ensure the boat got there safe and sound. They don’t have special powers to overcome the laws of physics whether that applies to the boat’s mechanics or the tide.

I’d favour a truck for this move.

I once priced a wide beam move that involved tidal waters and after submitting my list of requirements to be met before I set off I heard no more from the customer. I had asked for nothing more than ensuring that the boat be prepared such that it met the requirements and recommendations of the navigation authority concerned.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Either way he needs to spend time making sure the boat has a clean tank of diesel, engine serviced at a boatyard or hire base, spare alternator belt and has had some "sea trials". In

He needs to check the weed hatch and close it firmly, make sure the seal is in decent condition  (prevents sinking!).

After servicing the engine take the boat out and give it a good blast, make sure the engine hole is clean and dry, check that water is not coming  in to the boat in alarming quantities.

Check the starter battery is charging,   check the domestic batteries are holding charge overnight.

I think you may be over-egging the pudding and saying things for the sake of it. It’s a GRP River Cruiser and as we have seen by a previous Thread on here getting work done at a so called Boatyard can be expensive and hit & miss. There is no guarantee with any boat new, old, serviced or not, that it will not have mechanical problems at anytime. Sea Trials? That’s what brand new ships have, lets just say he needs some run time in and a few trips under his belt to get some boat handling in and to see how she runs. We don't know the boat it could be an excellent condition boat. It’s his inexperience that’s the main concern, especially not knowing his river route. I personally would Hi-Ab it to Bingley, saving time and hassle, if he has the money to do so.

• Greenie 1

The trip from Nottingham to Cromwell will be a fair test in relatively safe water prior to the Tidal section.

A couple near us in the marina have used their new to them boat a good deal but they are scared about going through a lock.  In my view getting in and out of the marina is the hardest bit .

Edited by MartynG

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The trip from Nottingham to Cromwell will be a fair test in relatively safe water prior to the Tidal section.

Subject to consideration of the time of year and the flood risk on the Trent - boats have been swept over the weirs between Notingham and Cromwell,

And some have even sunk when moored. If it has rained in the catchment area a couple of days ago, the Trent can easily be a river to be avoided.

It is a River that needs treating with respect.

Moored on The Trent.png

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

No personal experience, but other forum members have recommended Tony Tugboats for moving boats this sort of size by road.

https://www.tonytugboats.com/

Can thoroughly recommend Tony.

We used him a couple of times. He is a very knowledgeable guy.

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Also on that section it’s fairly busy, so there should be passing boats to give assistance should they need it, unlike from Cromwell-Torksey-Keadby where he may be the only boat running that day. It’s the tidal bit that’s the worry, some big fast water at the minute and you need to know your speed/time to get into Keadby, maybe a little more flex with a GRP than a Narrow, but the last thing he wants is to bomb it up-to Keadby and not be able to get in safely. 

• Greenie 1

The Trent has probably been quite quiet for the last five weeks, but there has been a bit of weather, so there will be a bit of fresh in the next few days 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

The Trent has probably been quite quiet for the last five weeks, but there has been a bit of weather, so there will be a bit of fresh in the next few days 

The OP has to get to know the boat  before settting off with confidence . 

I have a good modern anchor ,  chain and anchorplait , but the main thing is to have a good boat, local charts, plenty of clean fuel and a bucket full of  confidence .

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

A couple near us in the marina have used their new to them boat a good deal but they are scared about going through a lock.  In my view getting in and out of the marina is the hardest bit .

A few in our marina like that and the Great Ouse is a doddle compared with the Trent.

8 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Do we know what length his boat is? It may be too long for Keadby.

?

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

It's a 22 foot cruiser, it might have an outboard on it  so all your waffle could easily be irrelevant, it would have a separate petrol tank no fan belts etc. The original question was what river do I need to go on which is the Trent of course, if they are asking questions like that the answer really is a trailer home is best for you 

• Greenie 4

On 13/09/2023 at 21:47, Richard T said:

Why not cruise upstream for a few days whilst you get to know the boat and how it handles. Suggest Nottingham to Shardlow and then divert up the Soar  toLoughborough its about 4 days cruising. It willalso allow you to find out about any faults on the boat before you venture on the tidal Trent. You will need life jackets for all on board and an anchor with chain and warp. It would also be a good idea to have a full engine service and have the bottom of the diesel tank sucked out to remove any accumulated water that is in it. Water does get into tanks from condensation and it needs removing annually. A full tank is a good idea when you start out.

A blog to read is https://oleanna.co.uk/

They are experienced boaters and are currently going down the Trent to Keadby

Thank u for ur help, much appreciated 

On 13/09/2023 at 23:33, LadyG said:

I've sent a p m , I think they've gone to bed!

Its difficult to know how to help at this time. 

For whatever reason the OP bought a boat, then realised he has bitten off a bit too much for one bite.

Chances are he will get the boat sorted, and he might decide to venture North,  (via Keadby). Thats a fairly long trip, so I'd suggest he might visit West Stockwirh and have a day of rest. I think the entrance is a bit easier.

He could pay a skipper, but the boat has to be reliable for the journey 

i will e driving it back with my wife and baby

11 hours ago, cj1234 said:

i will e driving it back with my wife and baby

Is this a wind up?
 You have absolutely no experience, you don't even know what river your going on, never mind knowing the route and your going to risk your wife and baby? 
 Must be a wind up, as no-one will be that irresponsible.