Needless Blue Signs

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

Its not just C&RT that have pointless signs.

The M6 in Cheshire is signed in the roadworks with "This Sign Is Not In Use" signs for some completely daft reason.

I thought the first one was a joke but they are all over the place.

The joke is of course that we are paying for this nonsense.

Presumably you do know why those signs say 'this sign is not in use' ? 

It is so that people don't report a sign as having been removed. If you left it blank someone would call up and mention it. This stops that happening.

• Haha 1

Just now, magnetman said:

Presumably you do know why those signs say 'this sign is not in use' ? 

It is so that people don't report a sign as having been removed. If you left it blank someone would call up and mention it. This stops that happening.

You really are demented aren't you!!!!  Or do you work for the Highways Agency?  😆

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Not a blue sign but made me chuckle. Our dog was quite fast until he got old.

dogs.jpg

The boat my father owned some 50 years ago could travel only very slowly. When we passed a sign saying "Slow Navigation Obstruction" I suggested we should stick it on the back of the boat!

• Haha 1

Similar to the door open buttons on tube trains which do nothing because the doors all open on a command from the driver. 

You still have to put a door open button there because if there is no button someone is going to have a panic attack when they can't figure out how to open the doors. 

The button does nothing apart from pacify. 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I'm sure that is why they are there. 

It is a sign post which may be used in future rather than a sign post the sign on which has been stolen or otherwise gone missing. 

These are temporary stand up road signs in the roadworks!

Exactly. If they are left blank someone will moan about it. They have not been put there for no reason. 

The fact the sign says it is not in use when it actually is in use is important because if nothing was written there people would think there was meant to be a message of some sort and could become disorientated. 

Sign = message. A blank sign could be very disturbing and cause accidents. 

If someone has to spend mental energy thinking about why a sign is blank and what it might mean they could lose control of the car, crash into a minibus carrying a load of schoolchildren pushing it over the edge of a bridge into the path of an oncoming freight train. 

It doesn't bear thinking about. 

Short and simple 'this sign is not in use' sorts it out and clarifies what is going on. 

Edited by magnetman

57 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its not just C&RT that have pointless signs.

The M6 in Cheshire is signed in the roadworks with "This Sign Is Not In Use" signs for some completely daft reason.

I thought the first one was a joke but they are all over the place.

The joke is of course that we are paying for this nonsense.

do-not-throw-stones-at-this-sign.jpg

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Similar to the door open buttons on tube trains which do nothing because the doors all open on a command from the driver. 

You still have to put a door open button there because if there is no button someone is going to have a panic attack when they can't figure out how to open the doors. 

The button does nothing apart from pacify. 

Dont most if the trains switch to manual when out in the sticks and open air?

5 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Dont most if the trains switch to manual when out in the sticks and open air?

I was thinking of the underground. 

Yes the Elizabeth line which is part surface and part tunnel does go to manual doors once it is out of the tunnel.

I see what you mean though - in terms of line production of the rolling stock perhaps it makes sense to put door buttons on all units as you don't actually know where that particular one is going. 

Hmmm. 

No it's an access road that runs alongside some offside moorings on the T&M between Armitage Tunnel and the Ash Tree pub bridge. So it's to warn neighbouring moorers. Whenever I've passed there on my boat and the dogs are running around they don't seem particularly slow 🙂.

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

So it's to warn neighbouring moorers. Whenever I've passed there on my boat and the dogs are running around they don't seem particularly slow 🙂.

Maybe the slow refers to something other than their movement. 

They could be thick dogs. 

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

No it's an access road that runs alongside some offside moorings on the T&M between Armitage Tunnel and the Ash Tree pub bridge. So it's to warn neighbouring moorers. Whenever I've passed there on my boat and the dogs are running around they don't seem particularly slow 🙂.

So what is the risk if one of the neighbour's walks past too fast ?