Gay community

chris69

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I find that statement more than a little condescending if not downright hostile 

That's why you are on my ignore list.

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

I never understood calculus anyway.

Limited, perhaps?

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That's why you are on my ignore list.

And you are now on my homophobic list. Nice of you to identify your bigotry. Funny sort of ignore list btw….

I along with my partners had a lovely day at Leicester pride yesterday..it was great to meet up with other non judgemental people who live life for themselves. Maybe you should open your mind too. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Can't you just integrate?

I suspect that given there is still a lot of hostility and bigotry aimed towards gay people that some find it more comfortable to be amongst folk that are of the same sexual orientation as they are.

There also must be a greater chance of meeting someone and having a casual or even possible long term relationship with someone of the same gender if that is what someone is seeking.

Edited by M_JG

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If you’re gay or not gay, just do your own thing. I can’t understand why gay orientated people have to congregate. Surely mixing with ‘all walks of life’ is educational at some level.

Why is it different to say a group of model train enthusiasts wanting to meet like minded people or those who identify as goths? Or indeed canal enthusiasts?  We as humans tend to gravitate towards those with have things  in common with. 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

And you are now on my homophobic list.

Speaking of judgemental - How does what she said make her homophobic?

You are on my ignore list because your overall behaviour seems to be aggressive and threatening...... I suspect you are on Lady G's ignore list for a similar reason.

(Obviously we can't help having a quick peek at you every now and then :) )

As a matter of interest, can you help the OP with his query?

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I suspect that given there is still a lot of hostility and bigotry aimed towards gay people that some find it more comfortable to be amongst folk that are of the same sexual orientation as they are.

There also must be a greater chance of meeting someone and having a casual or even possible long term relationship with someone of the same gender if that is what someone is seeking.

Thank you.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, chris69 said:

Does canal boating have any kind of gay community in the Yorks Lancs area ??

Whilst I’m not familiar with that area there are quite a number of gay and alternative lifestyle people living on boats as in the main….with the obvious exceptions above…in real life it’s a welcoming community. One lifestyle community group I’m a member of even has a canal subgroup. 

I know of several gay couples and singles living aboard around Manchester …..I’d maybe ask on the Facebook groups as well as they are a little

more diverse than here. 

23 minutes ago, M_JG said:

We agree on very little but on this I do. Well said. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Can't you just integrate?

How do you know they do not?  Many people like to mix with like-minded people who "get" their situation and interests and somewhere where they may feel safe.  Have you never joined a club? They may also be looking for a partner/company so a group of other gay people will be a good place to start.

It does not mean they do not mix with all kinds of people.

2 hours ago, chris69 said:

I am sure there is one, informal or organised but I am afraid I cannot supply and help with specifics, good luck in finding one that suits you.

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 3

3 hours ago, chris69 said:

There's been a Pride Party at Standedge Tunnel for the last couple of years in June (obvs you've missed this year) but might be one for the diary for next year, i believe the DJ they have is a liveaboard. There's a Facebook page for the event so may be a starting point to find if there's any local groups??

• Greenie 3

I take it if there was a community as you seek you would try to moor within it?

I don’t  know of any community of the like, as it would mean having most of the moorings available in one location, which would be quite difficult to achieve with moorings hard to find. Most home moorings are a mixture of all sorts of people from all walks of life. So having a quantity of moorings available at a given time to allow for a dedicated community to form would be quite difficult.  I just don’t see it happening or being achievable. Continuous Cruising/Mooring I would say unlikely, but more chance than a dedicated Home Mooring community.
 Hebden Bridge area was once known for its so called Hippy community, but I think that’s long gone. I dont know if the so called Manchester gay scene by the canal has anything people can call a gay boating community?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

39 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I take it if there was a community as you seek you would try to moor within it?

I don’t  know of any community of the like, as it would mean having most of the moorings available in one location, which would be quite difficult to achieve with moorings hard to find. Most home moorings are a mixture of all sorts of people from all walks of life. So having a quantity of moorings available at a given time to allow for a dedicated community to form would be quite difficult.  I just don’t see it happening or being achievable. Continuous Cruising/Mooring I would say unlikely, but more chance than a dedicated Home Mooring community.
 Hebden Bridge area was once known for its so called Hippy community, but I think that’s long gone. I dont know if the so called Manchester gay scene by the canal has anything people can call a gay boating community?

I think most of the Manchester people Im acquainted with live in the marina by Plank lane lift bridge or the one at the bottom of the Ashton flight. 

I would think that OP would find more like minded people  by using Facebook and other sites that are set up for that reason. 

Hebden Bridge is well known for lots of LGBT, and there a lots of boats, but I don't think that makes the Hebden Bridge boaters an LGBT community. Its a nice place to have a boat, there is a Picture House, cafes, pubs, and a rail service.

4 hours ago, M_JG said:

I don't always find myself agreeing with things you say, but I do think that needed saying, and I couldn't agree more. 

33 minutes ago, wandering said:

He is trying to do 'his own thing' by finding others like him? Why is "doing your own thing" basically code for "be just like the rest of us"? The subtle intolerance of Brits never ceases to impress me. The veneer of friendliness falls away with barely as much as a bump.  You can't understand because presumably you're not gay. That's OK. Gay people look for other gays because we're a minority and not everything has to be understood by you (frankly, I find a lot of heterosexual behaviour downright bizarre and will never understand it myself but each to their own) and that's also OK. No help mixing with 'all walks of life' if none of them want to have a relationship with you. Seeking out other gay men increases the likelihood of that happening. Why do you think gay bars and the like exist? The man is asking if there are other gays around the north, not segregating himself like some homosexual shut in. 

To me "do your own thing" is the exact opposite of "be just like the rest of us".   It is to do what you want within the law and morality i.e doing your own thing doesn't allow armed robbery rape etc.

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

If you’re gay or not gay, just do your own thing. I can’t understand why gay orientated people have to congregate. Surely mixing with ‘all walks of life’ is educational at some level.

I've been told Christians go to church and Musims go to the mosque. Weird. Surely they'd both be better off mixing with "all walks of life".

Good grief, they do that too!

And some boaters even go to waterways festivals. Can't imagine why. They'd be better off mixing with cyclists and motorists . Perhaps some of them are petty and small-minded, but, luckily, not most.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

I have mixed with gay men and women. A close relation of mine is very much gay. I can never understand why there’s pride marches. The publicity of such is pushed into our faces by media etc. I gather there are heterosexual marches and meeting etc. that doesn’t get a mention on news at ten or whatever. Gays are not special people in general. They are people with a sexual preference different to me and others. In the late sixties and many times since I have frequented gay pubs. I am more than tolerant to the happenings but not when things are pushed too far in these establishments. So, please don’t accuse me of various opinions when you don’t know me. Edited to add not aimed at anyone in particular.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 4