Blacking costs

Featured Posts

Melton Mowbray o'course.

Due to be moored, when we get it, around Foxton Locks ish, which I thought was somewhere near where Matty40s is, or the lock I've seen his boat parked in anyway......now this got very convoluted.

The new kid at school is often the subject of weak bullies, howevere i would have thought the vast majority of contributors to be adults and refrain from childish comments such as the last one saying I have a cr&p name, a great contribution from a responsible adult.

I react to insults with insult, perhaps these online bullies have little else to do and being anonymous (most of them) helps them get off on some kind of ego trip.

Insinuating that the only moan about me is where I moor ( on a blind bend making it difficult for others to pass) when the brokerage there itself " pays CRT a fortune" to do the same. The brokerage double moor their boats for sake at the entrance to a bridge on the outside bend however I am critisised. I will post photos of where I moored and leave it for other adults to judge if the critcisms were fair.

Once I've posted the photos I shall leave the forum as I'm tired of schoolyard gibber.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

The new kid at school is often the subject of weak bullies, howevere i would have thought the vast majority of contributors to be adults and refrain from childish comments such as the last one saying I have a cr&p name, a great contribution from a responsible adult.

I react to insults with insult, perhaps these online bullies have little else to do and being anonymous (most of them) helps them get off on some kind of ego trip.

Insinuating that the only moan about me is where I moor ( on a blind bend making it difficult for others to pass) when the brokerage there itself " pays CRT a fortune" to do the same. The brokerage double moor their boats for sake at the entrance to a bridge on the outside bend however I am critisised. I will post photos of where I moored and leave it for other adults to judge if the critcisms were fair.

Once I've posted the photos I shall leave the forum as I'm tired of schoolyard gibber.

Sorry its developed in to a squabble , the forum has lots of info you can access as a guest

33 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

To be fair to the brokerage, there has been a working wharf on that side there since 1805.

51 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

If I was you, I would take my comment as it was intended a bit of fun. Reading what others are writing about you and they seem to know your boat, I would be more concerned about those and not one that was having a but of fun with you.

1 minute ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

If I was you, I would take my comment as it was intended a bit of fun. Reading what others are writing about you and they seem to know your boat, I would be more concerned about those and not one that was having a but of fun with you.

In fairness had you read through the 2 pages at that time you may have understood that poking fun at the OP was not appropriate at that juncture. It’s probably seldom appropriate in any new posters first few postings TBH. Something a few posters who ought to know better do very regularly. I generally enjoy such posts but there’s a time and place. 

I’m afraid I too must agree with Ian, maybe there’s been too much sun today 🧐

• Greenie 3

14 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

In fairness had you read through the 2 pages at that time you may have understood that poking fun at the OP was not appropriate at that juncture. It’s probably seldom appropriate in any new posters first few postings TBH. Something a few posters who ought to know better do very regularly. I generally enjoy such posts but there’s a time and place. 

I’m afraid I too must agree with Ian, maybe there’s been too much sun today 🧐

Maybe people need to realise that this is a Forum and shouldn’t be taken too seriously as it’s not the real world. No one makes people post on here. If people get wound up with the posts and  can’t handle what people write maybe a Public Forum is not for them. 

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

On 05/03/2024 at 18:48, Markypoo said:

My first time using this forum, please accept for humble apologies for not following your strict rules, I will cut a fresh branch from the nearest tree and self flagilate until I become unconcious. Unless cutting the branch upsets you of course. To help you sleep at night I won't use the forum again.

"I would not have anyone do anything if I'm not there, they may talk the talk, but if you don't supervise the work you are likely to get a sub optimum job, in my experience."

Good luck if you need an operation. May be a bit uncomfortable without an anaetheticso you can tell the surgeon how to do his/her job. Do you enjoy being told how to do your job by someone who has paid you to do a professional job.

Pontificate, now that's a word to add to all your vocabularies.

That was your second post on this forum. Needlessly agressive, no attempt to take on board any of the suggestions or take any part in the discussion that arose, just a bit of snark. They do say them as hands it out can't take it. Maybe it's fat boat syndrome. Park it on a corner in everyone's way and make it everyone else's problem.

Nothing to do with bullying a newbie - someone new with a new problem to think about and discuss is always welcome, but it's a two way thing. A forum isn't like FB, where you post something and it gets "liked", a comment or two, and is then forgotten and dumped by the algorithm - it's a more robust place where opinions get thrashed out.

I guess I, and one or two others, just lose patience with the attitude. It does seem to be getting more common. A first post, detailing a problem, a few replies and comments, a snarl of victimhood from an OP of "they've all got it in for me" because not all the replies were sympathetic "there there" noises but attempts to get to the root of the problem via discussion, and finally the OP delivers another broadside of general abuse and vanishes in a cloud of huff.

Anyway, now I've got that off me chest, I'm going to go practice the fiddle. Paddy's night coming up. I hope the next chunk of blacking stays on, and everything we've suggested might be the reason the first lot didn't was wrong. Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

I could start a new thread asking about the merits of bow thrusters, even a stern thruster too, in order to take the heat off the OP, I'm thick skinned.

Composting toilets are the coming thing, you know.

25 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

I could start a new thread asking about the merits of bow thrusters, even a stern thruster too, in order to take the heat off the OP, I'm thick skinned.

Thought you weren’t buying one of those daft expensive boats with all the pointless “Whistles & Bells” but the more sensible better value ones from next door? 👍😂

28 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Composting toilets are the coming thing, you know.

What about 2 of them, seperate ablutions are the secret to a happy marriage.......

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Thought you weren’t buying one of those daft expensive boats with all the pointless “Whistles & Bells” but the more sensible better value ones from next door? 👍😂

I'm not, but there's nowt stopping me from starting on a thread on 'em 😀

I have had my boat 2 Pk blacked over bitumen, twice. In my opinion it is not as good as blacking on a blasted surface but its also not the same price, I do think it is better than standard Bitumen but is a little more expensive. I don't plan to have the boat blasted and I think the extra cost of the 2 pack is worth it over traditional blacking  

2 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

What about 2 of them, seperate ablutions are the secret to a happy marriage.......

To do that you’ll need to make a quick call to your builder and ask if he can stretch and double the width of your build, as only inappropriate big boats have 2x sets of ablutions😱😱😱😱😱

Last comment on this thread with another post that the other Matt will probably take offence at, given the £200k plus he has probably splashed out on his dream boat.

Aqualines have a history of not having millscale removed before paint and any hull coating goes on.

New and Useless will never give you the stats, and some owners dont notice until they come for the first recommended blacking within 18 months. It is recommended as there will be naff all left below the water line.

Many, many of those boats have been recoated under warranty, many have had roofs and sides repainted...yes, we have even had a Aq widebeam in here for a roof repaint. 

We have also had a narrow one sides repainted as the hatches and windows were cut in the wrong places, recut and hole ls filled in, which rusted through the welds within 18 months. Repainted by Aq team from Poland.. and now looks like a complete bodge job.

I am not prepared to talk about the quality of those repaints, find the owners and ask your self....or just look about you on the cut.

There are ideal painting conditions, marginal conditions, and completely no go conditions.

When you are mass producing stuff, you do it all year round.

You have had your hull done now 3 times in the wrong time of year for a good, long lasting finish.

....and I still havnt called you an idiot or stupid.

You expect top quality when buying as you did.

We recently had a new build (4 years old) on dock. paid a premium for 2 pack. Mill scale wasn't removed. 

in the end having seen the rest of the 2 pack fall off due to a slight bit of wind which wouldn't register on the Beaufort scale, ripping it off in sheets, we scabbled and brick cleaner-ed the hull to remove all trace of millscale. and started again. 

I feel its one of the biggest boatbuilding cons the 2 pack dream, unless they can prove its been properly surface prepped it ain't worth the spondoolies to pay for it.

• Happy 1

Couldnt imagine anyone painting expensive paint over raw steel sheet ..........a mist of red oxide is OK ,but the millscale is going to fall off sooner rather than later.............Scale aside ,the first requirement of a coating system . is 'profile'.......a rough surface to stick to............personally ,I hate the low VOC high builds ,any cut in the coating will trap water ,and form a little rust penetration ..............by the way ,most hi builds are sprayed without any primer .............go for a bit more money ,and have inorganic zinc as the first coat................Inorganic zinc is water based ,you can hose it shortly after spraying.

• Greenie 1

The old boys that knew how to build boats would leave a naked shell out in the weather for a few months to settle the welds and release the mill scale before polishing off the rust prior to priming and painting.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 2

I have often read about the need to remove mill scale before blacking, either by angle grinding, grit blasting or leaving it to rust for a few months. But outside narrow boat building, what does the steel fabrication industry do? Angle grinding and leaving it to rust don't look to be credible solutions, and I can't believe that fabricators pay the extra cost of blasting in most cases. Which suggests they largely get away with just a degrease, primer and paint.

I have been told that the top notch boatbuilders used pre-blasted and primed plate for hulls, but prefer plain steel, primed after fabrication, for cabin structures as it is easier to get a good line and finish that way.

Used to do tons of grit blast and prime steel sheet ........the edge is taped off before priming so weld isnt contaminated by paint ................flat plate can be machine  grit blasted without compressed air ,which makes the process much cheaper.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I have often read about the need to remove mill scale before blacking, either by angle grinding, grit blasting or leaving it to rust for a few months. But outside narrow boat building, what does the steel fabrication industry do? Angle grinding and leaving it to rust don't look to be credible solutions, and I can't believe that fabricators pay the extra cost of blasting in most cases. Which suggests they largely get away with just a degrease, primer and paint.

I have been told that the top notch boatbuilders used pre-blasted and primed plate for hulls, but prefer plain steel, primed after fabrication, for cabin structures as it is easier to get a good line and finish that way.

Run of the mill builders and repairers use blasted and primed steel in the Netherlands and everywhere I've seen in France, not sure if it makes that much difference - they tend to use thinner steel too and owners tend to spend more on maintainence. That is a lot of generalisations there and there are some old rustbuckets around too.

19 hours ago, Andyaero said:

So from a newbie.....who's the (apparently not so) well respected boatyard then, as they appear to be in my neck of the woods?

A few possibilities on the Soar... 

I'm naming no names since I wasn't listening to the original conversation.