Holiday boating and washing machines

jacko264

Featured Posts

Hi All

in all the years we have used narrow boats  there has never been a washing machine on the boat .

I was watching a tv programme the other night  about finding gold in Alaska   And they had washing machines in the pubs  so people could take there washing there use the machines and have a few drinks while the washing is done .

It came to me this would be a great idea for pubs along canals  As we could never find laundrettes

Graham

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Hi All

in all the years we have used narrow boats  there has never been a washing machine on the boat .

I was watching a tv programme the other night  about finding gold in Alaska   And they had washing machines in the pubs  so people could take there washing there use the machines and have a few drinks while the washing is done .

It came to me this would be a great idea for pubs along canals  As we could never find laundrettes

Graham

It is already done in a few pubs, except only the landlord and staff can use them, and the output waste water is piped directly to the bar.  Under a variety of labels.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

It is already done in a few pubs, except only the landlord and staff can use them, and the output waste water is piped directly to the bar.  Under a variety of labels.

I thought it was the waste water from the urinals, which went to the lager tap? 😉

24 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There are washing machines popping up in more and more petrol stations, supermarkets and service areas.

Not seen any in pub car parks yer though.

Very common in France. Lots of supermarkets have a bank of washers and dryers outside. Often different sizes for different loads too.

Really handy for folk 'on the move'. You will often see motorhomers using them.

11 hours ago, M_JG said:

Very common in France. Lots of supermarkets have a bank of washers and dryers outside. Often different sizes for different loads too.

Really handy for folk 'on the move'. You will often see motorhomers using them.

We will probably use one while we are over there at the beginning of September. Saves bringing all the dirty washing back to do it at home!

12 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Hi All

Graham

Try Revolution, a company which has machines at Morrisons and at Texaco. A tad pricey, but they do a good job , takes about 44 minutes for an 11kg wash, small machine takes 3.5kg . Card operated., 

Edited by LadyG

The Wharf at Fenny Compton had one at one stage but did away with it on a change of management 

Beaten by Tonka but still note its closure 

'

Edited by Slim

I was only talking about this last night to my neighbour . I walk/jog/bike the dog down the K&A around Hungerford a few times a day and have got to know a few of the regular boaters and through them a few that are just passing through who now regularly hand me a bin bag of washing. I stick it in the washing machine and text them the time it will be ready. They either pick it up or peg it out in my garden, do some shopping/lunch/drink etc and then pick it up. My neighbour has 2 children and money is always tight. I did suggest we advertise our services because we are only a few minutes walk from the canal.  

I am wondering with more people working from home if this is something that could catch on nationwide.

Question being how much would you pay for a load?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Keysan said:

I was only talking about this last night to my neighbour . I walk/jog/bike the dog down the K&A around Hungerford a few times a day and have got to know a few of the regular boaters and through them a few that are just passing through who now regularly hand me a bin bag of washing. I stick it in the washing machine and text them the time it will be ready. They either pick it up or peg it out in my garden, do some shopping/lunch/drink etc and then pick it up. My neighbour has 2 children and money is always tight. I did suggest we advertise our services because we are only a few minutes walk from the canal.  

I am wondering with more people working from home if this is something that could catch on nationwide.

There's a service near me which offers "free" collection and delivery, load up to 7kg is £21. If you offered boaters a pick up & drop back for £15 I think that would be decent value...

3 hours ago, Keysan said:

The cost of the Revolution is about £20 per week, it varies quite a bit. The washing costs about £1.00 per kg, drying about the same .

I remember once going to a laundromat in a beach suburb of Los Angeles when I was there for my brother's wedding. It had an attached cafe, a noticeboard for community events, etc, and the whole place was so bright and friendly. Such a difference from most of the grey depressing laundries full of miserable people that we tend to have here in the UK. That's why I bought a washing machine for the boat - that and the price of launderettes here.

So yes, washing machines in pubs sounds like a good idea. I'm for anything that could be an improvement on the state of our high street launderettes.

37 minutes ago, Lady C said:

We would sometimes find the Tourist Information Office in the town and ask there for launderette locations.

According to a recent article, the majority of launderettes have closed in recent years because of lack of demand and rapidly increasing costs...

2 hours ago, Crewcut said:

There's a service near me which offers "free" collection and delivery, load up to 7kg is £21. If you offered boaters a pick up & drop back for £15 I think that would be decent value...

Thank you. feel free to message me if you are passing through weather permitting. An elderly boater fell over on the Hight Street last week and has been in hospital for the last 10 days. Hes out today with clean bedding and clothes. It took 6 loads through 3 separate machines. Hopefully he has the sense to come to my house because he left it unlocked and I have put a big combination padlock on his boat.